Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorcycle Renaissance: Pandemic or Normal Business Cycle

Hypertarded

Motorcycle Renaissance: Pandemic or Normal Business Cycle

If It’s Any Consolation, All the Motorcycles Are Sold Out, Too
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-sold-out-too/

-Interest in buying motorcycles has skyrocketed, but because supply is tight, there aren’t many bikes available.
    -The shortage affects aftermarket and repair parts, too.
    -Industry watchers wonder how long will it last, and if all the bikes sold now will flood the used market after the supply issues are resolved.

Interest in and demand for motorcycles has never been higher. The biggest problem is finding any—either to buy or to sell. When COVID-19 hit and put the world on standby, motorcycle sales went through the roof—and out the showroom door.

“We’ve had a massive COVID bump,” said Tracy Harris, SVP of Progressive IMS Outdoors motorcycle shows, a nationwide tour of motorcycle demos—kind of a two-wheeled circus of moto-fun......

Business in the bike industry is good. Almost too good.

“We’ve strapped and scraped and got every motorcycle we could get our hands on,” said KTM’s Mark Hyde. “And, you know, even though we’re out of them, we’ve still sold more motorcycles than we’ve ever sold in our lives. It’s just been amazing.”

“Dealers have been pretty much selling most of the inventory they have or can get,” said Colin Harris of Honda Powersports. “But at the same time there’s been supply chain slowdowns too, which has impacted a little bit in us getting product back to the dealers, but it has been flowing steadily to them. I know that with demand so high, everybody is definitely looking for more product. And we’re trying to supply that as quickly as possible. But overall it has been a really good impact because people aren’t doing many things they were doing in the past, they’re resorting to more outdoor activities, and a lot of that is our sports in general.”......

Then, in addition to all the old customers visiting the shows and jamming the showrooms, there has been a healthy lineup of new customers.

“More people are coming into motorcycling, there seems to be a bit of a resurgence in the entry-level models, which is fantastic,” said Aled Morgan of Triumph. “We see a lot of returning customers, they start off on the more entry-level motorcycles, and then they come back to these events and they want to try something different. There’s so many more women riders coming into this sport, which it was crying out for, which is what we need and what we want to encourage. But yeah, everything is trending steadily and really well. And the adventure market obviously is the predominant feature of most motorcycles, I would say now, and every manufacturer is kind of getting involved in that.”.....

“What remains to be seen about that COVID bump is, ‘Will those riders continue to ride?’ Or are we going to see a lot of used product come onto the market?” said Progressive IMS Outdoors’ Harris. “And then what does that mean to the industry when you have that much used product?”

It could mean cheap bikes for everyone, eventually.
    So will WE be seeing an influx of newbies to NESR?!? How will we drive them away, Leg Humping? Politics? Guns? or good old Sarcastic Derision?!?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Motorcycle Renaissance: Pandemic or Normal Business Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    If It’s Any Consolation, All the Motorcycles Are Sold Out, Too
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-sold-out-too/

So will WE be seeing an influx of newbies to NESR?!? How will we drive them away, Leg Humping? Politics? Guns? or good old Sarcastic Derision?!?
    I suspect there will be an influx of mad Navi owners flooding the site soon enough. A short highway ride will get rid of most of them.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nah, all the cool kids are off forums and on Slack/Discord/Reddit.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

There are enough uncool people in New England that we should expect some run-off among the olds, at least.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Also, we should only drive them away AFTER we convince them to show up at the track.
    After that, I vote leg-humping.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I suspect there will be an influx of mad Navi owners flooding the site soon enough. A short highway ride will get rid of most of them.
    I haven't seen the Navi shown as an available model at my local dealer, last spring, they were down to selling a few worthy used models they could scavenge up. social distancing in the showroom, not as many as they can fit as usual. But they are trickling in, showroom is full now, but mostly sleds, I `suspect mid winter that will shift to toward bikes & scooters, then add in a few watercraft, and end the season with mostly atvs and sxss.

Ever since that first covid relief check, suddenly everyone can afford a recreational motorsport toy and most of the $$ didn't stay in our economy

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I haven't seen the Navi shown as an available model at my local dealer, last spring, they were down to selling a few worthy used models they could scavenge up. social distancing in the showroom, not as many as they can fit as usual. But they are trickling in, showroom is full now, but mostly sleds, I `suspect mid winter that will shift to toward bikes & scooters, then add in a few watercraft, and end the season with mostly atvs and sxss.

Ever since that first covid relief check, suddenly everyone can afford a recreational motorsport toy and most of the $$ didn't stay in our economy
    Navi's are low tech which I think is the driving force to Honda deciding to import them now. They can be made easily and shipped quickly. They are going to start arriving in January and will be flooding in according to a few dealers I talked to.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Navi's are low tech which I think is the driving force to Honda deciding to import them now. They can be made easily and shipped quickly. They are going to start arriving in January and will be flooding in according to a few dealers I talked to.
    I will have to ask about the Navi's the next time I talk to my dealer, we have talked frequently, about his new location for his other Motorsports dealership, should be opening soon, just waiting for final cert of occupancy to start moving in. And a new tract of land he wants me to look at wetlands on. I keep telling him I am trying to retire, but, I would like to add a supermotard to my stable. Soon as I get a replacement engine for my K-Pipe, I'm happy with my mini-bike situation.

I'bet that the Navi's engine is just a smaller version of the K-Pipe's 125cc, the K-pipe engine, that is copied from honda's original (cub?) engine design 10° from horizontal single (hell, Kymco has made em for honda under contract, long before they sold their own brand of scooters, etc.) that is made in sizes anywhere from 49-212cc, by zillions of manufacturers in asia. I'm looking to replace my 125cc motor wit a 140cc minimum, but maybe as big as a 190cc I hit speeds as high as 63 with my 125, but overall, I was wide open at 45

also, don't learn the hard way, like I did, air cooling ain't enough, add an oil cooler

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Nah, all the cool kids are off forums and on Slack/Discord/Reddit.
    I fucking hate that forums are being replaced by this shit. At least with Reddit you can search...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I will have to ask about the Navi's the next time I talk to my dealer, we have talked frequently, about his new location for his other Motorsports dealership, should be opening soon, just waiting for final cert of occupancy to start moving in. And a new tract of land he wants me to look at wetlands on. I keep telling him I am trying to retire, but, I would like to add a supermotard to my stable. Soon as I get a replacement engine for my K-Pipe, I'm happy with my mini-bike situation.

I'bet that the Navi's engine is just a smaller version of the K-Pipe's 125cc, the K-pipe engine, that is copied from honda's original (cub?) engine design 10° from horizontal single (hell, Kymco has made em for honda under contract, long before they sold their own brand of scooters, etc.) that is made in sizes anywhere from 49-212cc, by zillions of manufacturers in asia. I'm looking to replace my 125cc motor wit a 140cc minimum, but maybe as big as a 190cc I hit speeds as high as 63 with my 125, but overall, I was wide open at 45

also, don't learn the hard way, like I did, air cooling ain't enough, add an oil cooler
    You'd fuckin' kill a Navi!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I fucking hate that forums are being replaced by this shit. At least with Reddit you can search...
    Facebook groups for specific models have taken over for a lot of the forums. But still, nobody searches before asking a question.
    You wouldn’t believe how many times a week a newbie asks what is the most comfortable seat for a DR650, or if a CBR F4i split-seat subframe can be swapped for the banana seat.
    These two bikes have been around for 25 and 22 years, so there’s decades worth of info on the internet if you took a minute to search for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Facebook groups for specific models have taken over for a lot of the forums. But still, nobody searches before asking a question.
    You wouldn’t believe how many times a week a newbie asks what is the most comfortable seat for a DR650, or if a CBR F4i split-seat subframe can be swapped for the banana seat.
    These two bikes have been around for 25 and 22 years, so there’s decades worth of info on the internet if you took a minute to search for it.
    The constant asking of basic questions drives me insane sometimes. Depending on my mood you'll get a snarky response or just ignored. Drives me nuts the most on a rideshare page. You make money off this, do the most basic of research to understand your "business".

Sign of the times though, people want to be spoon fed info instead of researching it themselves. Simply look to the media for one example as to how prevalent this is now.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    The only thing worse than Facebook groups for stuff is YouTube videos.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I'm pretty much only on FB to post questions about my Jeep/Trailer/Motorcycle-specific groups. Instagram has become my new "meet-up" place for rides. I'm not sure why I still hang around here as half the topics I engage in aren't even moto related

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    You'd fuckin' kill a Navi!
    but I do wanna get my little wasp going again, fit it with more dual sport type tire, go down one tooth on the front sprocket to give it more nut from a stop, AND more high speed, this is one of those bikes that needs more revs to punch the wind.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

all this discussion put me on an up to date search, and I found a 190cc at T-Bolt USA, yea, 2 left, one of em's mine

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

The 150 kit on my k pipe really woke it up. 70mph is possible on calm days. Really liked 60 mph. I wanted to try a 190 but i thought it was pushing the motor too much. I was just swapping top ends though, not the entire motor. I think ultimately a 190 would have just made higher speeds more comfortable, i felt the bike was totally fine at anything below 50 ish.
    From what i recall adding an oil cooler was a bit of a hack fest so i never did. Something about tapping the fill cap for the return? Idk, the bike is gone now anyway. A navi could be a good replacement sort of.

I dont think its a cub 110 but i could be wrong. I think its based on the elite which has been around for years. Good motor in the elite, should be a star in the Navi.

Personally counting on a bike and boat sell-off in ‘22 or ‘23.

I agree with Garandman. The sale of most of these items is on credit and were purchased when there wasn't anything else to do. (aka not the normal money drains) Soon as life returns to normal and gas prices along with everything else continue to inflate there will be a huge sell off of recreational products. I expect RV's, boats, motorcycles and stripper girlfriends to be out in front of many homes with for sale signs on them next year.

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Personally counting on a bike and boat sell-off in ‘22 or ‘23.
    I've been holding off on buying several things due to the anticipation of a sell off. The problem is I'm getting impatient.

As much as I would love getting a new bike on the cheap, a flooded market isn't gonna do me any favors trying to sell my Super Adventure.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    As much as I would love getting a new bike on the cheap, a flooded market isn't gonna do me any favors trying to sell my Super Adventure.
    that is why there is N+1

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by BSR6 View Post
    I've been holding off on buying several things due to the anticipation of a sell off. The problem is I'm getting impatient.

Don't need either vehicle i'm searching for, but i'm getting to the point where I may just "pay the price" so i can stop searching.....