Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorcycle Shippers / Transports

Motorcycle Shippers / Transports

Hello all...

Anyone have any experience with having a motorcycle transported cross country or at all?

If so, with who?

I'm looking into shipping my bike to CA, flying out and riding it back... I'd do the round trip on the bike if I had the time... thinking a one way week long trip would be nice...

Thanks in advance!

Mike

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Motorcycle Shippers / Transports

Forward AIR......

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

uship.com
    http://www.freightcenter.com/
    and yrc.com

hmmmm......

Uship is great.

I just had my GSXR shipped from Degsy's house in MA to my house in TX door to door. I believe it took 4 days or so and cost me 500 bucks...Enclosed trailer.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic306_2.gif

Even a week doesnt give you a lot of time. I rode out there and rode back in 21 days. On the way back I took 80 the whole way and it took 5 days. The last day was 750 miles. It sounds like a good idea and Im not sure what your itinery will be. Just saying you wont have a lot of time to enjoy the sights.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

I looked into doing this same type of thing. Uship is probably your best bet. Not sure where you work but if you know someone in shipping/receiving they can probably work up a rate to get you the corporate discount.

It was going to be about $500 for me to ship my bike from Vermont -> Seattle. The fluid had to be drained and I had to come up with a crate for it. These are things you wouldn't need to worry about with uship most likely.

The other issue was that I had to find someone in Seattle with a loading dock to receive it from DHL and where I could fill it up with gas and oil. I ended up finding a motorcycle shop who agreed to it.

The trip never materialized but I have decided that the next time I buy a motorcycle, it'll be a West Coast motorcycle. I'll kill two birds with one stone by flying out and driving it back.

Hey thank you for the leads...

I may be able to stretch it to 9 days... Saturday to Sunday... right now it's very preliminary so I have no real itinerary... just something I have always wanted to do... ideally I could take two plus weeks but work and family wouldn't be too happy!!!

Thanks again!

Mike

Moving out to Seattle within a month. The no need to drain/crate aspect intrigues me. Anyone else has the same experience?

Took a quick look at uship, it's essentially a bidding system by freelance shippers?

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    It was going to be about $500 for me to ship my bike from Vermont -> Seattle. The fluid had to be drained and I had to come up with a crate for it. These are things you wouldn't need to worry about with uship most likely.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Motorcycle Shipping, Motorcycle Transport | (800) 730-3151 is always my go-to for a baseline first, then compare any additional quotes against. They offer door to door complete service for ease and no headache transport.

Otherwise, I will put out a bid on uship and see what I get, have saved some big bucks that way. Yes it's like eBay for shipping, the better your description the better responses but you WILL get a lot of fluff, be patient and wait for more folks to bid. Be very clear about what it is, how you want it secured, etc. but you should not have to drain anything.... although I do prefer to have a nearish-empty gas tank and if you have a carb'd bike you will want to drain the bowls anyway so they don't gunk up.

Last edited by scottieducati; 05-04-15 at 02:39 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

Thanks Scottie for the info. I assume you've used Motorcycle Shippers before and had good experience? Cost is not the primary concern as we're doing a full house move, so a couple hundred dollars for ease of moving the motorcycle would be greatly welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Motorcycle Shipping, Motorcycle Transport | (800) 730-3151 is always my go-to for a baseline first, then compare any additional quotes against. They offer door to door complete service for ease and no headache transport.

Otherwise, I will put out a bid on uship and see what I get, have saved some big bucks that way. Yes it's like eBay for shipping, the better your description the better responses but you WILL get a lot of fluff, be patient and wait for more folks to bid. Be very clear about what it is, how you want it secured, etc. but you should not have to drain anything.... although I do prefer to have a nearish-empty gas tank and if you have a carb'd bike you will want to drain the bowls anyway so they don't gunk up.

Can I ask who you went with? I am looking at having a bike shipped to LA soon.