Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorcycle Title question...

Motorcycle Title question...

So I have been conversing with the guy that I am planning on purchasing the bike from. There is a slight issue though it may be a bigger one or nothing at all.

The guy has the title, but he has never transferred the title over to himself since he traded motorcycles with another guy. So the title is still under the old owner, but it does have his name as the buyer of the motorcycle. My question is, is there going to be an issue when I hand the title over to the bank or registering the bike?

Let me know if I am unclear on anything. Thanks!

WIL

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Motorcycle Title question...

I could be wrong, but im pretty sure he's going to have to send in for a title in his name and then transfer it the new title to you. Something seems a little odd thoough. If he registered the bike, he should have gotten a new title in his name automatically.

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

bye suzuki, hello world! xbubbax's Avatar

i belive he will have to sign the title, send it in, and then call you in 6 weeks then you can transfer it into your name.....

this is me
    this is what i do best

if his name is on the title as the buyer, he will need to apply for a new title first to put the bike in his name. Then his name can be in the seller part and you add your name to the buyer part.

DMV is pretty strict with titles. when we transfered my brothers car to my name, we spelled something wrong so we crossed it out and wrote in the word with the right spelling and they made us apply for another title. It cant have any scribbles and everything else must match up so becareful when filling it out.

Tuono

Quote Originally Posted by hammadown View Post
    I could be wrong, but im pretty sure he's going to have to send in for a title in his name and then transfer it the new title to you. Something seems a little odd thoough. If he registered the bike, he should have gotten a new title in his name automatically.
    He never got the bike registered. He just has the title. Who should I call to get a definite answer? Would it be the bank that I am getting a loan from?

Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    if his name is on the title as the buyer, he will need to apply for a new title first to put the bike in his name. Then his name can be in the seller part and you add your name to the buyer part.

DMV is pretty strict with titles. when we transfered my brothers car to my name, we spelled something wrong so we crossed it out and wrote in the word with the right spelling and they made us apply for another title. It cant have any scribbles and everything else must match up so becareful when filling it out.
    Ok, I will just tell this guy that he will have to send it in to get a new title. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    He never got the bike registered. He just has the title. Who should I call to get a definite answer? Would it be the bank that I am getting a loan from?
    No the Mass DMV, but good luck talking to someone. You pretty much have the answer here though. He need to get a new title in his name so he can be the seller and you the buyer. Otherwise, it wont fly.

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

No, If you get a loan on a bike with someone else as the buyer you are going to be in some trouble. The bike does not have clear title, Clear title means he can sign it over to you,

The guy either has to go get a title in his name he will most likly have to pay sales tax (depending on what state he is in)

I was in the same situation a few years ago I was selling the bike and the guy I orig. bought it from wrote my name down as the buyer. I got lucky and the guy who sold me the bikewas cool enough he applied for a duplicate title, when He got it He just signed his name as the seller. and my buyer singed his name at the regestry.

I would not do anything give him nothing take no loans until he can give you the clear title.

Last edited by BLACK SQUIRREL; 02-22-08 at 02:23 PM. Reason: stoopid
    Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

i would go through all the proper paperwork to have the title signed over to you.

situation: my friend sold a trailer and never received all the payment. my friend kept the title till full payment was received. buyer never paid the rest and wouldn't return phone calls after about 2 years. my friend went and took it back from the guy in his yard. if the cops came about a theft, my friend was ready to say "here's the title, it's in my name".

just protect yourself from someone being a dick and pulling something like that, even if you do pay and get a bill of sale.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I thought Kham was the only one who put theirself in a situation like this

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

*** UPDATE ***

The guy never filled out the buyer section of the title so he contacted the original owner and I will probably fax over the Intent to Sell form from my bank and have him fill it out and fax it back to me. So I should be all set now. I guess I am still going to be getting a bike again...

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I thought Kham was the only one who put theirself in a situation like this
    Don't you ever compare me with Kham...how insulting!

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Dont have him Do anything, If the title is blank in the buyer section Leave it blank until you Get the bike and pay for it. Put your own name on to avoid any typos or confusion. No cares whos name is on the seller section of the Title its the fact the your name is on the Buyer part that is important, The original owner does not have to put it on there. Just take the bike and the title and fill it out right before you give it to your bank.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

in order for him to get the title in his name in order to transfer it over to you, he's going to have to pay sales tax. then when u receive the title and go to the registry you'll have to pay sales tax too. It's really a matter of back tracking and making people pay their dues. my friend had to do it for another bike before, eventually he gave up and the bikes been sitting in his garage for 2 years, because he couldn't get the previous owners to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by imkindafkedup View Post
    in order for him to get the title in his name in order to transfer it over to you, he's going to have to pay sales tax. then when u receive the title and go to the registry you'll have to pay sales tax too. It's really a matter of back tracking and making people pay their dues. my friend had to do it for another bike before, eventually he gave up and the bikes been sitting in his garage for 2 years, because he couldn't get the previous owners to pay.
    No, I think in this situation, I won't have to pay any sales tax. The bike was never registered and the title still has the buyer section blank (he will fax it to me tomorrow and I will make sure it is blank when I pick up the bike). I should be ok. So the deal is back on and it looks like I will have a new bike soon enough.

Go get that Bitch!!!!

1993 Honda CBR900RR
    1990 Suzuki GSXR1100
    1992 Kawasaki ZX750
    1996 Honda F3 Trackbike

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    No, I think in this situation, I won't have to pay any sales tax. The bike was never registered and the title still has the buyer section blank (he will fax it to me tomorrow and I will make sure it is blank when I pick up the bike). I should be ok. So the deal is back on and it looks like I will have a new bike soon enough.
    Ask the registry before anything. It was the same deal with my friends bike, it was never registered, but there were 3 names on the title and the state wanted tax for all 3 of them. One state was VT and the other state was MA. I'd ask someone at the registry, before you run into that aggravation.

Well, the bike fell through. The dude sold it to someone else today...so I'm on the search again.

You're better off. I'm with fkdup on that one. No title, no sale. Think of you trying to sell it without the title

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft