Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

motorcycle trailer recommendations?

Question motorcycle trailer recommendations?

so i'm heading up to maine in august with a few friends, and i want to drag some bikes with me. i've got my ZZR600 (431 wet), a ninja 250 (355 wet), and there's an 82 seca XJ650 coming up this year (about 540 wet). does anyone have any recommendations on motorcycle trailers?

i was looking at the 3 bike trailer below, but the rated weight capacity is too low to tow the three bikes above (about 200lbs short). however, the difference between the 2 vs 3 slot trailer is only about $90, so might as well get the 3 slot anyway. the XJ650 isn't my bike, so getting a trailer to regularly haul it too isn't a huge deal, but if i can find one that is rated 1500lbs+ i'd prefer it.

Motorcycle Trailer - 746TE-3TS76M Fold-up 3-Rail Motorcycle Trailer

i've been looking on craigslist too, but a lot of them seem to be pretty beat up and really aren't much cheaper than buying a new one. i suppose i can tow the XJ & ZZR, and put the 250 in the back of a pickup - easier to load/unload the 250 up a ramp...but i'd prefer to trailer all 3 if i can.

thanks for any tips/suggestions in advance!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: motorcycle trailer recommendations?

The problem you'll find looking for a trailer rated for 1500lbs or more is they require trailer brakes. (Curb weight + cargo rating over 2000lbs means it's a higher 'class' of trailer, different rules apply.) Most companies rate their smaller trailers so the combined weight comes in under the 2k limit to keep the total cost down, not because the trailer isn't up to the task.

Don't skimp when getting a trailer, You will always be happy having less weight loaded than it can tow but it sucks mooseballs to have more to load than it can carry.

1967 Model Human, All male accessories. Manufactured by John & Irene

I'm not feeling the one you posted. You will not fit three sport bikes on there. They are designed to handle three motocross bikes.

You are probably better off buying a good quality landscape trailer and customizing it with wheel chocks and tie down points to fit your bikes and gear... You can also probably do it for the same money or less than the $1050 that they are asking for the above trailer...

There are all kinds of good deals out there if you look for them. I'm rolling with a 28' enclosed race car trailer (complete with black and white checkered floor and crappy cabinets) that I scored for $1000. I replaced two of the tires on it, and towed it to Louden in April with four bikes in it. I could have fit two more. The bonus is that it serves as a garage when I'm not using it on the road. Of course it does take up the better part of the driveway and it takes a pretty big truck to haul it... I guess I'm with GixerJockey - keep your eyes open for an enclosed landscape/contractors trailer.

You spot another enclosed for that kinda $ please send me a PM, Just started looking for one...

1967 Model Human, All male accessories. Manufactured by John & Irene

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jeff View Post
    Don't skimp when getting a trailer, You will always be happy having less weight loaded than it can tow but it sucks mooseballs to have more to load than it can carry.
    that was my feeling as well. i'll keep looking!

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    I'm not feeling the one you posted. You will not fit three sport bikes on there. They are designed to handle three motocross bikes.

You are probably better off buying a good quality landscape trailer and customizing it with wheel chocks and tie down points to fit your bikes and gear... You can also probably do it for the same money or less than the $1050 that they are asking for the above trailer...
    it seemed to be set up for 3 sport bikes - all three of the included rails are designed for wide (up to 8") rear tires. however, as you said i don't think it's going to cut it.

Last edited by drop; 08-16-08 at 10:39 AM.