Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Motorcycles, Headphones and Massachusetts

Resident Bosox Aficionado mikem317's Avatar

What's the deal w/ earbuds and riding? Can we wear them in Mass.? Is it against the law? There seems to be quite a few folks that listen to music on this board and other forums.

And yes, Search-Nazis, I did make an attempt to find something on the topic before posting, so easy on the flaming!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Regards,
    Mike

Where were you on October 27, 2004? // Got Wallpaper? // Special Discount for Boston Red Sox Fans! // Because even Alex Rodriguez has feelings too...

"Everytime I see a Yankee's hat, I see a swastika just a little off kilter." -- Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    you seem to be related to nikon. so fuckyou too! go suck a cock./1
    2012 R1200GS Rallye

Before I clicked I was gonna say I got 35 added to my ticket for it. But I clicked and realized I am the example. I still do it though. Fuck em. My court date is today btw. Wish me luck.

Bruce

Lifer

Just ride a bike that makes beautiful music. I can't see myself ever wanting to wear headphones on an RC for example. I could just sit there in traffic and make +/- 5% changes in throttle just to hear the intake.

or add xm radio, an amplifier, 2 speakers and a sub and your all set. mine came out nice and affordable.

so are chatterbox headsets illegal too?

Originally posted by bump909
    so are chatterbox headsets illegal too?
    There seems to be a ton of ambiguity.

Regards,
    Mike

Where were you on October 27, 2004? // Got Wallpaper? // Special Discount for Boston Red Sox Fans! // Because even Alex Rodriguez has feelings too...

"Everytime I see a Yankee's hat, I see a swastika just a little off kilter." -- Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Actually the law is pretty clear on it:

Chapter 90: Section 13 Safety precautions for proper operation and parking of vehicles and buses

Section 13. No person, when operating a motor vehicle, shall permit to be on or in the vehicle or on or about his person anything which may interfere with or impede the proper operation of the vehicle or any equipment by which the vehicle is operated or controlled, except that a person may operate a motor vehicle while using a citizens band radio or mobile telephone as long as one hand remains on the steering wheel at all times.....No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing headphones, unless said headphones are used for communication in connection with controlling the course or movement of said vehicle.

Its having both ears plugged and not being able to hear what is going on around you that they are concerned about...the funny part is that earplugs are perfectly legal.

Freakin' Lawyers!!!

-dw

wtf. what's the difference with someone yapping in your ear all day on a ride and listening to music?

Originally posted by davew

Chapter 90: Section 13 Safety precautions for proper operation and parking of vehicles and buses

Section 13. No person, when operating a motor vehicle, shall permit to be on or in the vehicle or on or about his person anything which may interfere with or impede the proper operation of the vehicle or any equipment by which the vehicle is operated or controlled, except that a person may operate a motor vehicle while using a citizens band radio or mobile telephone as long as one hand remains on the steering wheel at all times.....No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing headphones, unless said headphones are used for communication in connection with controlling the course or movement of said vehicle.

Its having both ears plugged and not being able to hear what is going on around you that they are concerned about...the funny part is that earplugs are perfectly legal.

Freakin' Lawyers!!!

-dw
    So again, not very clear when it comes to motorcycles, I mean the part where it speaks of one hand on the steering wheel and all...

Originally posted by bump909
    wtf. what's the difference with someone yapping in your ear all day on a ride and listening to music?
    Very good point. I guess if it makes sense, it's not going on the books. Typical.

Regards,
    Mike

Freestyle Street Rider Brian_C6's Avatar

Originally posted by mikem317
    So again, not very clear when it comes to motorcycles, I mean the part where it speaks of one hand on the steering wheel and all...
    re-read the opening statement. It includes "on" or "in". I would assume the word "on" includes motorcycles.

"No person, when operating a motor vehicle, shall permit to be on or in the vehicle or about his person anything which may interfere with or impede the proper operation of the vehicle"

Brian

The "in or on" refers to things that distract you...ie nothing that distracts you can be in or on your motorvehicle, it does not refer to the operator beiong in or on the vehicle.....

BUT, the definition of motorvehicle includes motorcycles. it is found in the defintions section of CH 90. So, you can use your cellphone or cb radio if you keep one hand on the handlebars at all time, but you cannot use headphones that cover both ears....

"Motor vehicles'', all vehicles constructed and designed for propulsion by power other than muscular power including such vehicles when pulled or towed by another motor vehicle, except railroad and railway cars, vehicles operated by the system known as trolley motor or trackless trolley under chapter one hundred and sixty-three or section ten of chapter five hundred and forty-four of the acts of nineteen hundred and forty-seven, vehicles running only upon rails or tracks, vehicles used for other purposes than the transportation of property and incapable of being driven at a speed exceeding twelve miles per hour and which are used exclusively for the building, repair and maintenance of highways or designed especially for use elsewhere than on the travelled part of ways, wheelchairs owned and operated by invalids and vehicles which are operated or guided by a person on foot; provided, however, that the exception for trackless trolleys provided herein shall not apply to sections seventeen, twenty-one, twenty-four, twenty-four I, twenty-five and twenty-six. The definition of "Motor vehicles'' shall not include motorized bicycles. In doubtful cases, the registrar may determine whether or not any particular vehicle is a motor vehicle as herein defined. If he determines that it should be so classified, he may require that it be registered under this chapter, but such determination shall not be admissible as evidence in any action at law arising out of the use or operation of such vehicle previous to such determination.

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Funny thing is...what's the difference between wearing ear plugs or listening to very loud music in your car....both ways you won't hear what's coming...

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

actually, i can hear just fine with earplugs or earphones.

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by MissTwisties
    Funny thing is...what's the difference between wearing ear plugs or listening to very loud music in your car....both ways you won't hear what's coming...
    Earplugs attenuate all sounds by an equal amount. Therefore, your ability to hear what's going on around you does not decrease unless the attenuation provided by the earplugs brings the specific sound below the threshhold level. In fact, by decreasing the overall sound level, earplugs reduce fatigue (think of how uncomfortable and tired you are after being in a noisy area for a long time), keeping the rider alert and more in control of the vehicle.

Contrarily, earphones provide no attenuation of ambient noise, but rather add *additional* noise which is generally pumped in at a higher level than ambient (so you can hear the music), causing an additional distraction and increasing the overall level of sound reaching your ears.

If you can ride safely with earphones, fine, I've got no problem with that, but let's not go nuts and say that it's the same thing as earplugs. Earplugs increase awareness, earphones decrease. End of story.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

good points, Honclfibr. although my earbuds actually act as earplugs to some effect when i listen to my music at low levels.

anyways, since we're on the topic, anyone know where i can find a good set of earplugs? i'm sick of using the cheapo disposable ones.

High maintenance priss

Originally posted by davew

Section 13 ...No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing headphones...
    What if you wear a single ear-bud? You're not blocking both of your ears.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

The MP3 plugged into the chatterbox sounds sweet
    To hell with earbuds! Those things are so uncomfortable.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Being new to New England, I had no idea as to whether or not headphones (and lanesplitting) are legal in Maine. Which is where I'll be living. So I found the "teh helpful" www.ama-cycle.org... and here's the results. Headphone legality first, then lanesplitting:

ME yes, no
    NH yes, no
    VT yes, no
    RI no, no
    MA no, no
    CT yes, no

Interesting that ME requires the use of a headlight in the daytime but have no law about how loud an exhaust can be! Strange stuff.

Originally posted by number9

Interesting that ME requires the use of a headlight in the daytime but have no law about how loud an exhaust can be! Strange stuff.
    I read in another thread that Maine is cracking down on passing motorcycles that have an aftermarket exhaust. So watch out on that one.

Freestyle Street Rider Brian_C6's Avatar

Maine is a weird State overall.

If you're caught doing a wheelie in Massachusetts = Operating to Endanger, Speeding, and Lane Violation = Must Show Court Appearence / Loss of License for 30 days (but no more than 1 year) and fines ranging from $250 (but no more than $5000) also possible imprisonment (no longer than 30 days).

If you're caught doing a wheelie in Maine = $70 fine.

Brian

Re: Motorcycles, Headphones and Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post

Contrarily, earphones provide no attenuation of ambient noise, but rather add *additional* noise which is generally pumped in at a higher level than ambient (so you can hear the music), causing an additional distraction and increasing the overall level of sound reaching your ears.
    I realize it's my first post and I'm already disagreeing, so forgive me. Some earphones, like the standard iphone type, definitely don't lower ambient noise and I would agree with the above statement for those. But sound-isolation earbuds DO reduce noise levels.
    Having said that, and knowing now that it is illegal to use them, how many of you still do it and how many of you have been caught? How much of a fine is it in MA and/or in RI?

Last edited by kingston73; 04-28-11 at 07:32 AM.

Is it bump friday? 2005?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_C6 View Post
    If you're caught doing a wheelie in Maine = $70 fine.

Brian

Group ride to Maine? anyone?

Doc,
    I just figured I'd use the search button instead of starting a brand new thread about the same topic. If I'd started a new thread, I'd bet money somebody would have told me to use the search.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast