Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Motorcycles, Headphones and Massachusetts

Re: Motorcycles, Headphones and Massachusetts

What about in-helmet speakers? Are those considered headphones?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just don't get pulled over. Next.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Qube View Post
    What about in-helmet speakers? Are those considered headphones?
    -no, they are "speakers" not connected by wires...

-the ONLY way a LEO is going to issue a citation on headphones is due to a persons' "attitude" while in the process of being pulled over.

like i said in another welcome thread, i rock earbuds everytime i ride. you know im wearing em too cuz i air drum like a motherfucking rockstar at red lights and such. been pulled over with em on, cops have seen me take em out an all, they hang outside my jacket for em to see. they havent said boo to me about it. could be cuz i have all my gear on and am polite. doesnt hurt that i am ridiculously good looking as well.

.:|LaRNZ|:.

Quote Originally Posted by wesvailco View Post
    -no, they are "speakers" not connected by wires...
    Um, not to be a pedant, but how do you connect your helmet speakers if not with wires? My helmet speakers have a wire that runs out of the helmet and plugs into my chatterbox unit.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    Um, not to be a pedant, but how do you connect your helmet speakers if not with wires? My helmet speakers have a wire that runs out of the helmet and plugs into my chatterbox unit.
    mine have wires that I run to my ipod.

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    -mine are magically connected and telepathically controlled, I blink twice and it comes alive.

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

This part should be your out: "No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing headphones, unless said headphones are used for communication in connection with controlling the course or movement of said vehicle."

So mix your MP3 player with your GPS output. Cops get after ya, flip the source to your GPS. Turn-by-turn directions in audio so you don't have to look too hard at your GPS screen. You're then "controlling the course or movement of said vehicle". I haven't tested it because cops think the C-14 is an old man's bike, no one pays any attention to it no matter how fast the pack I'm in is movin' out on the slab, some other bike or car always gets nabbed. Can't help that, but as an add-on charge, if your headphone is for the GPS, THAT part ought to slide.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

I have a small Bluetooth reciever that i mounted to my helmet. you can't even tell i have music on unless you put on my helmet since there are no wires. i stream grooveshark, pandora and my GPS though it.

If I do ever get a ticket for it though, I now have a nice excuse to say I use it form my GPS to help controlling the course of my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by toocrazy2yoo View Post
    This part should be your out: "No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing headphones, unless said headphones are used for communication in connection with controlling the course or movement of said vehicle."

So mix your MP3 player with your GPS output. Cops get after ya, flip the source to your GPS. Turn-by-turn directions in audio so you don't have to look too hard at your GPS screen. You're then "controlling the course or movement of said vehicle". I haven't tested it because cops think the C-14 is an old man's bike, no one pays any attention to it no matter how fast the pack I'm in is movin' out on the slab, some other bike or car always gets nabbed. Can't help that, but as an add-on charge, if your headphone is for the GPS, THAT part ought to slide.
    Dude that is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCast 650R View Post
    Dude that is brilliant.
    Nice of ya to say, but check with Doc, Jimmy, Da Sarge and a few others before you take my word for it. Those doods are New England plus on this technical stuff. But I beat Loudon County, Va., Fairfax County, Va. and Alexandria, Va. (Washington DC area) many, many times on these kinds of technical issues, three of them in front of 7-citizen juries back in Virginia. Never lost one. Up here in New England, I dunno. But you quote a permissable "control/navigation" issue of the vehicle via GPS direction? I'd give it a try. Waddya got to lose?

Oh, of course YMMV with any legal theory but it is a great out for certain unless unbeknownst to you the cop observes you head-banging for a few miles to your "navigation prompts" in which case you could wind up making him or her REALLY pissed.

Oh, of course YMMV with any legal theory but it is a great out for certain unless unbeknownst to you the cop observes you head-banging for a few miles to your "navigation prompts" in which case you could wind up making him or her REALLY pissed.
    Just tell the officer that there was a bee in your helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Just tell the officer that there was a bee in your helmet.
    Right Brain!
    Actually you should have been in Cincinnati for the 17 year locust/Cicada infestation of '87 IIRC. One of them flew into my friend's helmet as he was trying to pull away from a stoplight on his 600 Ninja (they were brand new back then) and he just about put it down, I was busy laughing at him but shit it could have just as easily been me.
    Found one on motorcycle usa website they were talking about HUGE IMPACT insects:
    http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/atta...ada.hi-res.jpg

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 05-04-11 at 09:55 PM.

Right Brain!
    Actually you should have been in Cincinnati for the 17 year locust/Cicada infestation of '87 IIRC. One of them flew into my friend's helmet as he was trying to pull away from a stoplight on his 600 Ninja (they were brand new back then) and he just about put it down, I was busy laughing at him but shit it could have just as easily been me.
    Proof positive: It STOPS being funny when it STARTS being you..

Quote Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
    Doc,
    I just figured I'd use the search button instead of starting a brand new thread about the same topic. If I'd started a new thread, I'd bet money somebody would have told me to use the search.
    100% correct.

Zumos have MP3 players.....

Last edited by Garandman; 05-06-11 at 12:00 PM.

I wear headphones all the time but I listen to my V1 instead of music. I wonder if that'll win me some bonus points when I get pulled over again

Im glad my headphones are attached to my Iphone which means I dont have to deal with any of the switching BS since it has a built in (albeit shitty) GPS.

As an aside, I thought it was illegal to operate a MV while on the cell phone unless you used a headset or some other hands free kit. If I am in my truck I typically have my iphone headphones in for phone purposes. I think like everything else, its all in how bad you were screwing around when you get caught and how much of a dick you are when you get spoken to.

Add me on LinkedIN
    Buying or selling a car? Free listings - FeaturedCars.com

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)
    88 YSR50 (Street Hilarity)

If you are going to let yourself get pulled over, do the smart thing and take off your helmet way before they get to you. when they are way back in the car, still stopping, running your plates, and feel safe. This shows them that you arent trying to run again, and gives you time to tuck your earbuds in your jacket.

Some may say "ohhh no, he is going to see you doing stuff with your hands and pistol whip you". I find that this is not the case. Take off that helmet, keep your hands in reasonable places, and be polite. Its the only way to go other than redlining it.

BRAAAAAP

ps. hell yea 2005 thread!

Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Lifer

Mental note: Stuff the headphones down the collar of my jacket ASAP after being pulled over in MA, but don't sweat it in NH.

Seriously though, the "its for the hands free phone" loophole seems about a mile wide here, no?

i was just having this debate with a friend. i generally remove the helemt and pop the buds into my jacket if its a statie but if its a local guy i generally dont bother

Quote Originally Posted by Loun View Post
    As an aside, I thought it was illegal to operate a MV while on the cell phone unless you used a headset or some other hands free kit.
    Pretty sure it wasn't illegal yet in 2005, when the thread started.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Good bump.

Well as long as we're all watching this thread's undead corpse stroll across the road...

"unless said headphones are used for communication in connection with controlling the course or movement of said vehicle."

Does that mean GPS directions are ok? *ducks*

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Yes, I'd assume so.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast