Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Motorcycles in a major metro area

Re: Motorcycles in a major metro area

I don't have a problem riding my SV650 in Boston on weekends, but I would not commute there regularly during regular hours. Second or third shift, maybe. But I bet it doesn't really get any better traffic-wise in Miami at any hour. That said, I think an SV650 is woefully underpowered to have any kind of fun in Florida on the street.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Not sure what the OP is looking for here, but if you're attached to the bikes, there's no issues storing them (if done correctly). I stored my R6 for 5 years and now it's back on the track and I'm having a blast. If not attached, now might be a good time to sell one or more of them and invest in something you enjoy and get back into the sport when you're in a better situation.

As for city living with the moto, I've enjoyed them in Boston, Chicago, and Obviously LA. In Boston and Chicago, I'd still lane split knowing the risks and it helped with parking a lot. Not sure I see the appeal of riding in Miami though. I would need some sort of motorcycle outlet -- trackdays, kart track supermoto/minimoto, dirt riding, etc. Or I'd fly somewhere and rent a bike. I've never just stopped riding.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Not sure what the OP is looking for here, but if you're attached to the bikes, there's no issues storing them (if done correctly). I stored my R6 for 5 years and now it's back on the track and I'm having a blast. If not attached, now might be a good time to sell one or more of them and invest in something you enjoy and get back into the sport when you're in a better situation.

As for city living with the moto, I've enjoyed them in Boston, Chicago, and Obviously LA. In Boston and Chicago, I'd still lane split knowing the risks and it helped with parking a lot. Not sure I see the appeal of riding in Miami though. I would need some sort of motorcycle outlet -- trackdays, kart track supermoto/minimoto, dirt riding, etc. Or I'd fly somewhere and rent a bike. I've never just stopped riding.
    I also don't know what I'm looking for, hahaha. Someone to say "It's fine don't be a pussy!" which hasn't happened, or to say "store by doing xyz" or anything in between I guess. I'm kind of attached to the bikes, so getting rid of them isn't super high on my list.

I did look into dirt riding after that was mentioned here but it doesn't look like there's much around down here unfortunately. I should have expected that though.

There's a road out out to the everglades that's pretty dead, but costs like 50 dollars a year to use. I need to see if that is a per vehicle thing or if that can be used in any vehicle. Maybe I'll buy that and ride that road. It's most straight but at least it's rural with no side streets

Time to go full Florida mode.

Stretched, lowered Hayabusa

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I really want nothing to do with a bike in an urban area TBH. Way too much risk and I'd much rather sit in the A/C and curse at the morons out there right now then have to deal with them trying to kill me every other second.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Living in Boston metro I’ve owned a Victory cruiser, Speed Triple, and a Grom. The Grom was awesome around the city, everything else became a chore after the novelty wore off. Also roomed with a guy who had a DRZ400SM that was just as fun as the Grom.

Lesson: big bikes suck in the city.

Also worth noting..if I lived in Florida there’s almost no chance I’d own anything but a track bike….or nothing at all. Florida street riding is for guys with too much hair gel. Go buy a nice 25 ft center console and enjoy what’s enjoyable where you live.
    i agree with this...grom/monkey/scooter in the city or some type of small supermoto or a duke 390 that's very nimble...i would also worry about theft depending where you park a small bike like that...i love ripping around town on my genuine buddy 125 scooter but that's all i have left now...i'm not commuting to work through providence on the highway on a motorcycle (too dangerous now with all the distracted drivers) and i couldn't see keeping a motorcycle just for quick trips around town (as was said above, it was more of a chore) but i had to have a 2 wheel toy so this is where i ended up...i would have bought a grom/monkey but this was cheaper and reliable from what i've read about them...no shifting so i can squid it out in sandals in the summer...125cc so i can keep up with traffic and not have cars whipping by me on the shoulder...small wheels so very nimble and light...they get to a point where they get too big size/engine-wise where it defeats the purpose of having a scooter vs a motorcycle...if it was me i would sell the bikes pick up a grom and buy a boat

or this would do the job...
    https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy...370110086.html

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

I don't like that most major rivers, only have bridges in metropolitan areas

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I don't like that most major rivers, only have bridges in metropolitan areas
    Too boring without a fording?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

We’ll at least we’ve answered the question: you need a motard, keep the rest of the bikes because n + 1.

Take the gixxer to a track day at Homestead?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I live just on the skits of the city and thought this same thing. I decided to actually go with a bike more comfortable for long hauls. Riding in & around the city blows but riding a bike in true canyon & country roads is something unlike anything in the world. Bought my FJ to make things like a Saturday up to VT and back or the Kank possible without feeling the need to ride close to home. Slap for about an hour or so until you’re away from society and then enjoy the day then make it back without being uncomfortable after doing 2-400 miles in a day. Then again I’m not married or have kids so those could play a part in things.

Well, he lives on the bell head of America’s penis. Like 1,000 miles to good twisties. MOTARD.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

The other perfect urban bikes (tall, quiet, near-zero sex appeal / theft risk) are the Versys and V-Strom 650s.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Still got the Tiger 1050? I kind of regret selling mine, such a good all arounder. I had a pretty good time commuting between Brookline and Field’s Corner on it for a few years, but I’ll admit that that’s one of the better Boston moto commutes to be had.
    Yes. Haven’t ridden much this summer, Fall is time to get rolling!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12