Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motorcycles in a major metro area

Motorcycles in a major metro area

I moved to Miami last year because my wife got into med school here. I brought three motorcycles, and in the last year and a half I've ridden a motorcycle about.. 60 miles, tops.

It's fucking terrifying to drive or ride here. I see insane maneuvers daily. People cutting people off, turning left in front of people, passing on the right and then turning left etc. It's.. Insane. It's easily the most horrible driving I've ever seen, and I just.. Really don't feel comfortable riding here.

On top of that riding isn't particularly enticing. The roads are straight and flat. There's sand and debris everywhere.

Anyone else ever experience this or is it just me? I know track days are an option but money is tight. Miami isn't cheap, lol.

I'm kind of worried about leaving the bikes just sitting

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Motorcycles in a major metro area

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    I moved to Miami last year because my wife got into med school here. I brought three motorcycles, and in the last year and a half I've ridden a motorcycle about.. 60 miles, tops.

It's fucking terrifying to drive or ride here. I see insane maneuvers daily. People cutting people off, turning left in front of people, passing on the right and then turning left etc. It's.. Insane. It's easily the most horrible driving I've ever seen, and I just.. Really don't feel comfortable riding here.

On top of that riding isn't particularly enticing. The roads are straight and flat. There's sand and debris everywhere.

Anyone else ever experience this or is it just me? I know track days are an option but money is tight. Miami isn't cheap, lol.

Right there with you. I’ve done less than 100 miles in two years. Traffic is fucked all over the valley and roads suck. 100% not worth the risk.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Right there with you. I’ve done less than 100 miles in two years. Traffic is fucked all over the valley and roads suck. 100% not worth the risk.

You at least have very epic stuff reasonably close by.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I really want nothing to do with a bike in an urban area TBH. Way too much risk and I'd much rather sit in the A/C and curse at the morons out there right now then have to deal with them trying to kill me every other second.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    You at least have very epic stuff reasonably close by.
    True, but there’s lots of shit riding in between the good bits. Took the wifes new car the back way from Flagstaff to the valley via Sedona, Jerome and Prescott last weekend. Epic indeed, and with airbags and AC!!

I also have multiple track days to choose from ten minutes from my house, but have done zero so far. That seems easily fixable once the heat dies off in a couple months...

I genuinely thought I was the only one who felt this way

I've ridden the Hyper to and from the Cape a few times but other than that I've barely touched the thing. I'm contemplating selling it to get a Tuono, but I need 70 additional horsepower on a street bike like I need a hole in the head. I don't know what to do...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    True, but there’s lots of shit riding in between the good bits. Took the wifes new car the back way from Flagstaff to the valley via Sedona, Jerome and Prescott last weekend. Epic indeed, and with airbags and AC!!

I also have multiple track days to choose from ten minutes from my house, but have done zero so far. That seems easily fixable once the heat dies off in a couple months...
    Stay on 89A from Prescott to Wickenburg some time if you've never done that. Still epic like when you went through Jerome but not as well traveled. Lots of good stuff in that area wnw of Prescott on the local roads towards Bagdad and Skull Valley as well.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post

I've ridden the Hyper to and from the Cape a few times but other than that I've barely touched the thing. I'm contemplating selling it to get a Tuono, but I need 70 additional horsepower on a street bike like I need a hole in the head. I don't know what to do...
    I have also considered selling the gsxr. I'd keep the cb360 and my gs bobber project but the way used bikes are pulling crazy money these days has me wondering if selling and investing in the house would be a better play than just watching the thing sit in the garage.

Just sucks. If I was back in upstate NY I think I'd have done a lot of riding this year, but Miami just isn't it lol. I barely even drive my rx7 because it's not any more exciting than my land cruiser from 4 way stop to 4 way stop.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Stay on 89A from Prescott to Wickenburg some time if you've never done that. Still epic like when you went through Jerome but not as well traveled. Lots of good stuff in that area wnw of Prescott on the local roads towards Bagdad and Skull Valley as well.
    That’s the way we come home. That last mountain descent before you head to Wickenburg is awesome. We live up against the east side of the White Tanks, on the other side of the mountains is the Vulture Mine Rd which is decent, also pops out in Wickenburg. I’m 40 minutes minimum from any good riding, I generally don’t have hours to go out for a rip nor can this old body take that duration on my Aprilia. AZMP is just down the street, I really need to commit to a track day.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Living in Boston metro I’ve owned a Victory cruiser, Speed Triple, and a Grom. The Grom was awesome around the city, everything else became a chore after the novelty wore off. Also roomed with a guy who had a DRZ400SM that was just as fun as the Grom.

Lesson: big bikes suck in the city.

Also worth noting..if I lived in Florida there’s almost no chance I’d own anything but a track bike….or nothing at all. Florida street riding is for guys with too much hair gel. Go buy a nice 25 ft center console and enjoy what’s enjoyable where you live.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I unfortunately don't have room for a boat haha. I don't even know what I'm looking for with this thread honestly. I guess I'm just bummed I haven't ridden

I unfortunately don't have room for a boat haha. I don't even know what I'm looking for with this thread honestly. I guess I'm just bummed I haven't ridden
    If money is tight a boat is the last thing you want anyway. Boat ownership is too much effort for too little fun. In retirement I may consider another boat, either with waterfront property and a lift, or at least a slip rental in a marina close to home. Never trailering or dealing with the dumbasses at the launch again (although at times that is mildly entertaining).

I have also considered selling the gsxr. I'd keep the cb360 and my gs bobber project but the way used bikes are pulling crazy money these days has me wondering if selling and investing in the house would be a better play than just watching the thing sit in the garage.

Just sucks. If I was back in upstate NY I think I'd have done a lot of riding this year, but Miami just isn't it lol. I barely even drive my rx7 because it's not any more exciting than my land cruiser from 4 way stop to 4 way stop.
    Honestly you need a convertible again.

I find that a proper topless drive in a fun car can be a good substitute for a bike experience for local drives. It's safer, more comfortable and while helmetless can be a similar open air feeling.

Only thing that stopped me from putting crazy miles on my bikes is enjoying the Caterham instead.

Rx7 while great in many ways, is still a cage and doesn't match the open air experience.

Lifer

Congratulations to your wife on medical school - the good news is that you will likely need to move in 4 years again. You will miss riding if you stopped. The bike I ride most in Boston is my crf250L which is setup as a CRF250M supermoto. The premise is always the same - cars cannot see me and it is on me to stay away from them. Sell the gixxer for now and either ride your 360 or get something small and flickable for city riding for now. Prices are high, but at least in MA the market is cooling off somewhat as the season nears its end.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I go back on forth on the desire to ride urban, but it never changes the risk exposure. I’d exercise alt options if ya wanted the saddle time or cash out

Had my best riding from Boston last year during Covid. No traffic jams, leave and return anytime.

This summer was hot, humid, and traffic is as bad as ever. Miss the V-Storm as the Tiger 1050 runs hot in traffic and clutch pull is heavier.

A texting driver totaled my 2014 Outback last summer: hit it going 30-40mph and never applied the brakes. So add that issue on top.

You should definitely not own a boat on a trailer. Put it in a marina. South Florida is for boats, not motorcycles.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    You should definitely not own a boat on a trailer. Put it in a marina. South Florida is for boats, not motorcycles.
    Ha, then I am definitely out. I checked prices when I was toying with selling the rx7 and I'd need to sell an rx7 every year just to make that possible.

A dirt bike is an interesting thought. A more off road oriented dual sport that I could tool around on close to home. Cops don't bother dirt bikes on the bike paths if you're going slow and maybe there's trails to ride if you get out of this immediate area. Something to look into.

I had an ok time when I lived in Boston and Brookline, but I was younger and maybe wouldn’t be as into it anymore. Also, it wasn’t TOO crazy trying to get to some good roads. Also I didn’t own a car, so my alternative was the MBTA. And I rarely rode like downtown or anything. I live in Worcester now and don’t do any of my riding in town if I can help it.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Grom is always the answer for metropolitan areas.

By clock time if not by mileage, a significant percentage of my riding is in urban traffic. I salute anyone/everyone who has taken a look around at other drivers' behavior and thought "fuck this, not worth it." I just haven't hit my own personal limit yet, I guess, or have frog-boiled into accepting too much risk over time.

I had a Grom for a little while, and didn't enjoy it in traffic. Much prefer a taller bike (supermoto is perfect), but also preferred a twist-and-go scooter of the same height.
    If I'm going to be low, slow, and have questionable turning/braking performance, I at least want the option of exacerbating the risks by using my left hand to sip iced coffee.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    By clock time if not by mileage, a significant percentage of my riding is in urban traffic. I salute anyone/everyone who has taken a look around at other drivers' behavior and thought "fuck this, not worth it." I just haven't hit my own personal limit yet, I guess, or have frog-boiled into accepting too much risk over time.

I had a Grom for a little while, and didn't enjoy it in traffic. Much prefer a taller bike (supermoto is perfect), but also preferred a twist-and-go scooter of the same height.
    If I'm going to be low, slow, and have questionable turning/braking performance, I at least want the option of exacerbating the risks by using my left hand to sip iced coffee.
    I could see the grom being great for skateparks and sidewalks. Probably also very effective at converting a living being into a blood stain in Phoenix traffic. Almost never see them in the valley. Baggers and ADV bikes are by far the most common. Not a diss on the grom in general, but fuck that thing for city traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post

?? the Tuono 1100??

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    This summer was hot, humid, and traffic is as bad as ever. Miss the V-Storm as the Tiger 1050 runs hot in traffic and clutch pull is heavier.
    Still got the Tiger 1050? I kind of regret selling mine, such a good all arounder. I had a pretty good time commuting between Brookline and Field’s Corner on it for a few years, but I’ll admit that that’s one of the better Boston moto commutes to be had.

Last edited by Spooler; 09-05-21 at 09:27 PM.
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by ninja-400-girl View Post
    ?? the Tuono 1100??
    Yeah, I have always had a soft spot for Tuonos

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast