Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motorcyle Work Table/ Lift

Motorcyle Work Table/ Lift

Ok so I started a thread looking for a lift.

I was close to buying a Harbor Freight lift when I decided to build one for at least the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Revisiting this thread.

I have decided I am going to build one.

Option #1
    http://www.bbcracing.com/old/box/

Pro: Portable
    Con: I am not convinced it will be sturdy enough.

Option #2
    Something that looks like this http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...rk_table01.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by crowspeed07 View Post
    i know you said your prob gonna build one but idk if this may be a prebuilt one your interested in.

http://www.powerstands.com/acb/showd..._ID=22&CATID=5
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    Use these, they sell them at home depot for $4.95 each to save on shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/G90-2x4-Corn-R...sr=8-3-catcorr

They are rock solid, work, easy to use and hold for ever. Make sure you brace the deck every 10 inches with some joist hangers or just screws through and you'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSarge View Post
    NESR Racing used those wooden box stands back in the day, they worked really well. Very sturdy and I believe they put grip tape strips on top for the stands. No Idea who made them from the team but we used them all season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Gordon (scootertrash) made those. I'm still kickin' myself for NOT grabbing one and making away with it. And I still wanna make one. Totally slick, totally portable...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    doc, 3/4" plywood would be fine... but IMO, you're going to want more than a 24" top if you plan on working on the bike while it's up there.

I am gonna start a new thread to get Gordons attention.
    So I am hoping scootertrash pokes his head in here to give me an idea about the plywood stands. I'd love the Powerstand but my money is tied up right now.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Re: Motorcyle Work Table/ Lift

The one in your picture looks exactly like the one that I built in my garage. It is 18" tall and 3' wide by 8' long. I used 4x4s for the corner uprights and 2x6s for the deck supports.

Edit: It only cost me about $60 to build.

Last edited by eboos; 12-01-09 at 10:17 AM.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    The one in your picture looks exactly like the one that I built in my garage. It is 18" tall and 3' wide by 8' long. I used 4x4s for the corner uprights and 2x6s for the deck supports.

Edit: It only cost me about $60 to build.
    I think that is what I am leaning towards right now... Easier for me to build that than the plywood one.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I love my lift, but doc... I think you will be just as happy with this table (until you get your shop together). Check out boos' dimensions... I recommend staying with something like this... as 24" isn't big enough to walk next to the bike, and may get a bit tough to hold some bikes up while standing down on the ground, and trying to strap them in, or put stands behind them.

Another suggestion would be to use some astro-turf or indoor/outdoor carpet for the top. It is CHEAP, can be replaced every couple years if it gets dirty... Wood gets SLICK when it gets wet or oily... the carpet adds some traction, and is replaced easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I love my lift, but doc... I think you will be just as happy with this table (until you get your shop together). Check out boos' dimensions... I recommend staying with something like this... as 24" isn't big enough to walk next to the bike, and may get a bit tough to hold some bikes up while standing down on the ground, and trying to strap them in, or put stands behind them.

Another suggestion would be to use some astro-turf or indoor/outdoor carpet for the top. It is CHEAP, can be replaced every couple years if it gets dirty... Wood gets SLICK when it gets wet or oily... the carpet adds some traction, and is replaced easily.
    I have a Condor Chock that I will be using. That (and space available) will dictate how wide this thing will be.

I will post pics of the build when I am done.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

The extra width is needed if you need to use jack stands.

Why do you think plywood would be tough? All you need is a saw, and a drill... Drill 3/4" holes where your "slots" end, and then cut parallel lines up to it... slot done.

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Ok so I started a thread looking for a lift.

So I am hoping scootertrash pokes his head in here to give me an idea about the plywood stands. I'd love the Powerstand but my money is tied up right now.

The ones I built for NESRacing back in 2003 are the ones shown in the www.bbcracing.com/old/box link above.
    Two sheets of 3/4 plywood, a drill, and a circular saw is all you need.
    Take your time cutting the slots exactly the thickness of the plywood.
    They are very strong when done. You can assemble/disassemble in seconds without tools for easy transport. (to flat sheets of plywood)
    I painted them to keep the rain (at the track) from ruining the plywood. If they will always be indoors, there is no need to paint them.
    I never had any problems with them being slippery. A little grip tape is optional if that is a concern.
    If you want the box to be easy to move, go with this approach.
    If it will always be stationary, you can use plywood with a 2x4 frame. It will be cheaper that way. (you will only need one sheet of plywood and some 2x4s)

Quote Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
    The ones I built for NESRacing back in 2003 are the ones shown in the www.bbcracing.com/old/box link above.
    They are very strong when done. You can assemble/disassemble in seconds without tools for easy transport. (to flat sheets of plywood)
    I painted them to keep the rain (at the track) from ruining the plywood. If they will always be indoors, there is no need to paint them.
    I never had any problems with them being slippery. A little grip tape is optional if that is a concern.
    If it will always be stationary, you can use plywood with a 2x4 frame. It will be cheaper that way. (you will only need one sheet of plywood and some 2x4s)
    Fantastic. So simple.

I can assure anyone interested in this that it was an extremely reliable, sturdy and handy set-up. Of great importance was manueverability and transport of the tables as well as being sturdy enough to stand the bikes on for a variety of purposes. This design allowed stands to be used also and the width seemed spot-on. I have absolutely no complaints nor cons about the set-up. In fact, these threads have only reminded me that I wanna do this before the white shit sets in. I'm gonna actually store the TL-R on it this winter...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

What a great idea !!! i'm going to build a couple of these for my self !!

theirs a few guys on kawiforums with the diy home built ones. if ya want i can ask em for some basic plans?

Doc, here is a place in Canton mass, with some really good pricing!
    His lifts are very similar to the Handy lifts, but cheaper!

http://www.garybloomsales.com/motorcycle-lifts.php

Performance: 1397 JE bigbore, Dual Intake cams, Adjustable cam spockets, Sm air box mod,Pc3 usb,Ingnition box w/hub, and Lcd screen, Hindle stepped race header, Dual Fans, 24 volt starting
    Suspension & Brakes: Ohlins road and track forks, Ohlins rear shock, Sprint top mount dampner, PRM top clamp, Dymag Carbon mags, Brembo HP rotors, Brembo Hp radial calipers,
    Show & GO: Topgun undertail, Libertek led lights, Pazzo lever, PMR Switches & Kill,PMR cover. Revolution Custom Paint, Harris Grips.

Posting Freak

How do you get your bike up onto these stands? Do you have some sort of ramp? If so can i see a pic of it attached?

2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Ebony Edition
    Miles my first (this) season: 5800
    KAWASAKI RULES WOOOOO!

Use a ramp

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic306_2.gif

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gixerhp View Post
    Doc, here is a place in Canton mass, with some really good pricing!
    His lifts are very similar to the Handy lifts, but cheaper!

http://www.garybloomsales.com/motorcycle-lifts.php

Hmmmmm, group buy? Anyone interested. I would take one.

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post

In fact, these threads have only reminded me that I wanna do this before the white shit sets in. I'm gonna actually store the TL-R on it this winter...
    Well, since you are the bastid who got me into this whole NESR / Racing endevor, you are welcome to take one of the two original NESR Racing boxes. I don't really need two. (I'm keeping the other one). You can swing by and pick it up and check out the new chateau. It's only about 5 miles from Stonnerville...

Wow, Awesome. I only have a one car garage and this will be perfect, and cost $50 at homedepot. Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    That sounds like a plan!

Performance: 1397 JE bigbore, Dual Intake cams, Adjustable cam spockets, Sm air box mod,Pc3 usb,Ingnition box w/hub, and Lcd screen, Hindle stepped race header, Dual Fans, 24 volt starting
    Suspension & Brakes: Ohlins road and track forks, Ohlins rear shock, Sprint top mount dampner, PRM top clamp, Dymag Carbon mags, Brembo HP rotors, Brembo Hp radial calipers,
    Show & GO: Topgun undertail, Libertek led lights, Pazzo lever, PMR Switches & Kill,PMR cover. Revolution Custom Paint, Harris Grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Why get this one when Harbor Freight is cheaper? (is that why?)

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by DaSarge View Post
    Well, since you are the bastid who got me into this whole NESR / Racing endevor, you are welcome to take one of the two original NESR Racing boxes. I don't really need two. (I'm keeping the other one). You can swing by and pick it up and check out the new chateau. It's only about 5 miles from Stonnerville...

I think I am going to make one of these as well. If you could get some measurements that would be great.

Or do you just rip a sheet, cut slots half way and done?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Follow Scootertrashes link:
    http://www.bbcracing.com/old/box/

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Why get this one when Harbor Freight is cheaper? (is that why?)
    It is much more sturdier!

Shit, I am gonna put my 998 up on plywood. I don't need sturdy!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast