Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorman engine break-in

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Motorman engine break-in

A few years ago, motorcycle forums were abuzz with engine break-in advice from a guy who called himself Motorman (or was it motoman?). Anyway, he recommended a particularly hard break-in procedure and when I got my bike new in '02, I decided to give it a try.

Fast forward 9 years and 90,000 miles: My engine does not burn any oil and I recently removed the head and cylinders (to replace the head (needs new valves) and some gaskets) and was pleased to discover that my cylinders and rings have very minimal wear and no signs of blow-by. There's even a little cross-hatch pattern visible on the cylinder walls. I would not be surprised to get another 90,000 miles out of it, with ease.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Motorman engine break-in

I agree it is the way to go. Bed those rings ASAP, the rest of the motor will take care of itself in due time.

A guy I know who races a Kawi 636-powered sprint car goes so far as to preheat the block prior to firing it up. He pretty much wails on the fresh motor (no free revving, always under a load) for about 25 minutes and shuts it down.

Kinda off topic but his setup is really cool. The engine is fueled with methanol and is reported to be cranking out power in the 140 range. The four shock dampers are adjusted on the fly from inside the cockpit via small knobs attached to cables. I've seen this car numerous times and it never gets old to look at.

Some owners complain of oil usage on the Triumph 1050's. I used the motoman method when I bought my Sprint, and I never add oil between changes! I'm only at 15k miles now, so time will tell how it'll hold up!

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

Last bike 15K never a drop used

Did the strom too and my Civic

Civic does use oil though but hard to do loading in the car.
    Uses about a qt every 4k

Either way the 1st oil change always shows sparkling metal bits being flushed out

I have never been a fan of this procedure.

I did however read something similar and have used parts of it for 2 new bikes....

I am a big fan of finding a flat road and accelerating then immediately engine breaking. I do this at varying RPM's....

I used to do this with my 2 strokes back in the day and found that the "beat up to break in" never gave me anything but trouble, while the "proper stress to break in" method always gave me a little more time between top end's

Break-in is not only the motor, every things starts tight. So I'm not by the book, but I do wick it up. Make sure it's warmed up first.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

I think one of the most critical things about the Motoman break-in method is the early oil change. So many metal particles and machining slivers end up in the oil those first 20 miles or so that changing the oil and filter is just a basic Good Idea. In an extreme case, if you wait till the 600-mile first service, the oil filter could get so plugged up with crap that the bypass valve is opened and unfiltered oil goes back into the engine. IMO, replacing the oil and filter a couple of times during break-in is cheap insurance.

EDIT: This is a really good article about what happens during break-in:
    http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/running

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 03-18-11 at 08:06 AM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Break it in like you ride it!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

LRRS #516

I also subscribe to motoman's break in. never had a single issue. actually...and I hesitate to admit this, but after doing the hard break in i dropped the oil, switched the filter and filled it back up. Found out a year later I'd accidentally been running it with a full quart too much oil in it.

Didn't have a single problem...the bike ran like a champ and I was NOT nice to it...fitting i named her slam pig...she was treated as such.

just saying...most will never go to 90k on a bike motor but I have no doubt this break in process is proper and the best for longevity and resistance to wear from abuse.

I'd like to see Kevin Cameron's (long-time racing mechanic/tech writer) thoughts on break-in....

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Yes, you guys that buy new bikes break them in properly. Us used bike buyers want to make sure we get good equipment.

Motorman, wasn't he the guy that installed the little speed bumps in the intake runners to increase velocity charging?

He does porting many times smaller than stock to maintain intake velocity

2 stroke motors for racing are not apt as the piston bore tolerances were ridiculous open and tapered for immediate racing

I had a 250 Honda went through a piston in a season.
    Got a straight sided after market forged piston.
    Gave the jug to a diesel shop for Minimum clearance was 0.001" yes 1 mil
    broke it in very gently for 2 hours to forge the piston with the bore
    ran it for 3 more seasons and sold it still happy
    Note extreme tight clearance on air cooled motors have MORE heat transferred from the piston to the jug and cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    A few years ago, motorcycle forums were abuzz with engine break-in advice from a guy who called himself Motorman (or was it motoman?). Anyway, he recommended a particularly hard break-in procedure and when I got my bike new in '02, I decided to give it a try.

Fast forward 9 years and 90,000 miles: My engine does not burn any oil and I recently removed the head and cylinders (to replace the head (needs new valves) and some gaskets) and was pleased to discover that my cylinders and rings have very minimal wear and no signs of blow-by. There's even a little cross-hatch pattern visible on the cylinder walls. I would not be surprised to get another 90,000 miles out of it, with ease.

personally, motoman, by the book, don't make a fucking bit of difference,

engines don't need break in, as long as you warm it up before you flog it you'll be ok

my SV (ridden by book first 1000 miles) never used oil till it had 130,000, and then is was worn valve guides that caused the oil consumption, compression was still 210

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Id actually like to see an actual scientific study done on this. Take a sample for both procedures of a line and go at it. Anyone got the cake to buy 10 or so and do it?

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Use all the power!!!

Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    Id actually like to see an actual scientific study done on this. Take a sample for both procedures of a line and go at it. Anyone got the cake to buy 10 or so and do it?

I don't think its money as much as time, cars are such, now days you can drive them a quarter million miles without even following recommended maintenance

when its all said and done, whats it gonna prove, if you break in an engine this way it will last 792,500 ± miles instead of that way and only get 656,250 ± miles and consume 9 less quarts of oil over the lifetime

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I don't think its money as much as time, cars are such, now days you can drive them a quarter million miles without even following recommended maintenance

when its all said and done, whats it gonna prove, if you break in an engine this way it will last 792,500 ± miles instead of that way and only get 656,250 ± miles and consume 9 less quarts of oil over the lifetime
    Well that's kinda what I'm getting at. It would be nice to actually prove the power and longevity difference at least in the short term (<50k). Everything we have now if anecdotal evidence. I know it'll never happen. Would just be interesting to see.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Lifer

I am breaking in the new Street Triple fairly hard. Lots of shifting, RPM variations, engine breaking, etc. You cannot forget the couple WOT runs on some open roads near my house in 2nd and 3rd. We will see how everything pans out.

Honestly, now a days, it should not make one bit of a difference. RPM restrictions are for the lawyers.

Posting Freak

never had a brand new bike, so no worries here