Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Motorsports 101

Motorsports 101

Just met Anthony from Motorsports 101. Real nice guy. Talked about the breaking in of the Gladius. He said ride it like I was going to ride it. Not like the manual said. Last time I broke in a bike was in 1995 on my 94 RF900. He said I didnt have to worry about metal shavings from the breaking in of the engine. So he said to bring in when I have 800 to 1000 miles on it. Nice! It was a much more enjoyable ride back because I didn't have to ride like a pussy!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Motorsports 101

I'm going to disagree with Anthony. You want that bike to make the most HP, break it in like the book says. Your rings will seat better, you'll get higher compression, less blow by, your bike will be all around happier. I agree with him that you won't be finding metal shavings in the oil like older machines, but that doesn't mean you can just skip proper break in... it just means materials and machining have gotten better. : )

Edit: And if your Gladius is like my ST3, you can do 90+ without exceeding the breakin reve limit.

This one is a controversial topic on its own. People say do what the book says and others say hammer on them.

I broke my bike in the way mototune website mentioned. I didn't go over the suggested rev limit (6500) but I rode the bike home from the shop with a lot of hard accel in the lower gears and cutting the throttle to decel after. You apparently only get the first 20 miles of the engines life to do this, once ya miss it its too late...unless you rebuild.

He does have some interesting pics posted though. Unfortunately without tearing into the motor, who knows if I did it right, if he's correct, if it's all a crock, etc.

I will say though, I barely ever find any metal on the drain plug. Not like the older bikes

I wasn't redlining it... But I hit 80 but was mostly 70-75. The tach was not much over the break in limit. Gary @ G&G said pretty much the same as Anthony. I'm not going nuts on it thats for sure but sometimes I guess I have to stress the engine once in a while as the miles build up. So a little stress on the new engine and using all the gears will give me proper break-in. I'm still getting acquainted with it and my riding skills.

I broke my new Honda 600rr in on the track.

Granted I didn't go to redline until late in the day, but lots of acceleration and braking... and cool off periods.

Bike doesn't use a bit of oil and seems to pull strong.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Its just about, 100 miles drop the oil and inspect, while heat cycling it and just ride it like you stole it....Break in is Ghey.