Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Frame Sliders work

Frame Sliders work

I dropped the SV yesterday. I was making a left hand turn at an intersection, following an SUV. I gave him ample lead going into the corner but after he completed the left, and his left blinker was still on he braked suddenly and took a right into a bank parking lot. I could not see the curb cut from behind the mass of the SUV.

When he stopped to turn I thought the traffic was just accordioning like it sometimes does in turns. I figured it would start to move again after people cleared the turn so I sort of rolled up on the back of the SUV.

It's a poorly designed intersection with the entrance to the bank parking lot a matter of 5-6 yards from the corner. To make matters worse it's a 5 way intersection. Still, I fell, it's my fault.

A tiny tap on the brake was enough to wash the front end out. I was very surprised at this. Maybe there was something on the pavement? If there was I couldn't see it. I was only going 5 MPH, maybe 10 at the very very tops. Some guy helped me get the bike up. I was clear of the intersection before the light changed.

I have enduro style hand guards on the SV and it slid on that and the frame slider with no damage to any other part of the bike except the shift lever broke and I had to slide my foot under or over it to actuate it. I've repaired it by drilling it and tapping it and replacing the nub with an M8 stainless steel bolt.

I pretty much wrecked my brand new (first ride!) Lee Parks track gloves. I was surprised how far the bike slid at such a low speed. My knee was carrying part of that weight but my Aerostich Roadcrafter showed absolutely no damage. I am happy I was wearing it! I must have almost as much money in gear as I have paid for that bike.

I should have been wearing boots but wasn't, that wont be the case anymore. I am no worse for wear at all, and am glad to have had an inexpensive painless reminder that bikes can tip over. I'll give more lead time at intersections.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."

Re: Frame Sliders work

Been there, done that....more than once!

Glad you are ok!

I just replaced the right side AxlJak slider on my ss. Low sided 3 times and all i replaced was the slider itself....great stuff

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Glad you're alright man.
    Gear is WELL worth the investment.

Glad you walked away unscathed and the bike's in good shape. Weird it went down at such a low speed...tar snakes? Was the pavement dry?

that sucks, but i guess you can file it under "no harm no foul" catagory of lessons learned.

yay gear!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    that sucks, but i guess you can file it under "no harm no foul" catagory of lessons learned.

yay gear!!!
    It really wasn't bad at all. I sort of shudder to think what it would have been like in jeans though. Sometimes I'd just run out in a jacket and a pair of jeans or Arborwear or Carhart pants. The bike was on top of my knee, partly supported by armor in the Aerostich and partly supported by the frame slider. So, it slid right on the "ballistic" part of the 'stich. Had that been sliding on my knee I am sure street pants would have abraded away. The 'stich is slippery but pants would have grabbed. eech!

This is my second 5-10 MPH low side in about 10 years, no other accidents. Both time I was amazed how far the bike will slide at such low speeds. This time only about 10 feet, if that. But with a 400# bike on my knee that could have messed things up.

I didn't even think I put my hand down. I think I was partly amped up from the crash but when I got home I saw the palm of the glove was all torn up! that could have been my hand! It's amazing, I slid on my hand, evidently, and with the right glove I didn't even know it.

No big deal, just a "little run into town" sort of ride. It's really cool it's such a non event.

Thanks all

Dude, Glad you are ok. I haven't had the opportunity to try my Lee Parks glove out yet, but don't ride without them. I've seen the results of some get offs that people have had with them on and won't wear anything else.
    I agree, Frame sliders rule! See ya next Saturday!

Ask me about Total Control ARC Level 1 and Level 2
    in Troy, NY and Loudon, NH
    John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSVg3Gg4LmA
    '02 GL1800A Silver (Track Toy)
    '12 Striple R

"I hope I always have a little more skill than stupidity"...Lee Parks

Lifer

just put black delrin sliders on my R1, look great and I feel more relaxed knowing I have them just in case... because hey, as Taxonomy just reminded us all, SHIT HAPPENS!

Funny how we react to a fall entirely without concsious thought, and many times can't even remember what action we took. after like 6-10 crashes (on track), I could actually control my bodyparts in a fall. I think the pain of my mistakes was the best teacher...

Glad you made it out unscathed.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Funny how we react to a fall entirely without concsious thought, and many times can't even remember what action we took. after like 6-10 crashes (on track), I could actually control my bodyparts in a fall. I think the pain of my mistakes was the best teacher...

Glad you made it out unscathed.
    isn't that the truth. like trying to straining all you neck muscles to avoid letting your helmet touch down!

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

maybe all that time you spend making your exhaust theories could be spent more wisely reading twist of the wrist I and II, they go over how to keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    maybe all that time you spend making your exhaust theories could be spent more wisely reading twist of the wrist I and II, they go over how to keep the rubber side down.
    I'm glad the thread held your interest! Sheesh! Guess how exhausts work is some kind of sacred cow. I'm going to go replace my airbox with individual filters now and then maybe I'll start a thread insulting mothers and apple pie. It is almost mother's day isn't it? Just in time.

I have Twist I & II but for my money I like Lee Parks book better. I'm taking two days of the Lee Parks ARC instruction next weekend. Looking forward to it as well.

Have a nice day.