Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

MT07 VS MT09

MT07 VS MT09

With no one buying the deals are starting to pop up. I'm looking for my next street/trackday ride. Right now the Yamaha MT07 and 09 are leading the pack for me. I haven't been on either and I'm not so sure I'll be able to get on either in the near future due to all the craziness going around.

Besides the obvious difference does anyone own one or two of these or have time on them?

I'm open to either. To me the big selling point for the 07 is the price which isn't a big difference but it is cheaper. The 09 seems to have better components but is it worth the price difference?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

Re: MT07 VS MT09

I was thinking about an 09 when they came out. Never pulled the trigger, but the 09 has like 40 more hp and an extra cylinder, for like 22lbs. You could offset most of that with an exhaust and lightweight battery.

My sources tell me that the 07 is a better package when the rubber meets the road. The 09 had some handling woes. Not sure if they were ever fully resolved?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    My sources tell me that the 07 is a better package when the rubber meets the road. The 09 had some handling woes. Not sure if they were ever fully resolved?
    I think they both have their issues handling. Neither is solved easily or completely without cutting the steering head off and welding it back on with a different rake angle.

As far as bike overall I've heard the 07 is better from some and the 09 is better from others. I have 0 experience with either which is why I ask here

James

Lifer

I've demo'ed both, although older gens called "FZ-". I liked the -07 much, much better. I am not an enormous fan of triples from the start. But then I think Yamaha does not do a great job with them as well. I had seat time on a Tiger 800 and liked that motor a lot more. The FZ/MT fit and finish is a little bit of a let down. On the 07 you accept it because of the price-point. Makes the 09 a harder sell.

Also I recall the 09 having some bad throttling mix and some drive-mode weirdness. The 07 didn't have any of that.

I rode my '99 SV650 that is sprung like a race bike and has a full Yosh system on it to the FZ07 demo. 2 miles down the road on the 07 I felt right at home. The 07 was obviously not as heavily sprung (I'm a biggun). But it handled nicely, went and stopped good and sounded great with the Yamaha factory Yosh slip-on. Clutch pull and engagement was way better than my shitbox SV. The bike was playful and zippeh. I would definitely own one.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you like the FZ-07, have a look at the Vitapilen 701. Very well spec'd, very nicely priced. I am all set to pull the trigger on one for the exact purpose you're looking at, honestly just deciding to wait a few more months and see how things look then. I'm fortunate to still be working, but I'm worried we could be dying a slower death.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I put a handful of miles on friend's 2014 FZ09 (the first model year they came out). Crazy torquey engine, but the throttle was like an on/off switch, super twitchy (but I've heard they have improved this on the later years.) Using the most mellow of the 3 drive settings made it more rideable for me. He put a good bit of $$ into an aftermarket seat and suspension upgrades on that bike. He recently upgraded to a XSR900, he said it feels a lot more refined with the slipper clutch and traction control. Definitely go for the improved 2017+ version.

After reading so much good stuff about the FZ07, I sat on one at a dealer a while back. The ergonomics just felt weird to me. I then sat on the Kawi Z650 right next to it, and the ergonomics felt absolutely perfect. The Fz07 felt like I was sitting "on" the bike, the Z650 felt like I was sitting "in" the bike. There's a bunch of FZ07 vs Z650 vs SV650 reviews out there.

It basically comes down to if you want a nice reasonable engine, or a torque monster.

Here's a nice 09 that is being sold by a guy who might be on here: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8079478923533/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    If you like the FZ-07, have a look at the Vitapilen 701. Very well spec'd, very nicely priced. I am all set to pull the trigger on one for the exact purpose you're looking at, honestly just deciding to wait a few more months and see how things look then. I'm fortunate to still be working, but I'm worried we could be dying a slower death.
    I'm pretty much in this exact situation. I'm still working. I'm still going to have a job when this is all said and done. Getting there might be a little painful. As of now due to lack of demand I'm working 2-3 days a week but luckily getting paid for 40 hours. Hopefully that remains the case until we get back to everyone there everyday but it may not. Getting paid for 2 or 3 days a week wont be pretty. I am planning on letting this all play out another month or two and see where we are as well.

The Husky looks nice but I think if I went that route I would never forgive myself for not buying the FS450 and we all know what that will lead to. The Yamaha seems like a more attractive package to me and will be a bit easier to get my hands on.

James