Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

multistrada

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Found a smoking deal on a new style multi 1200s. Trying to figure out how to get it without the wife knowing/getting pissed.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Re: multistrada

wood chipper?

Leave her for a hot chick working at a convenience store in the middle of nowhere North Carolina who would surely not mind if you got it!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Don't. Buy. One.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Buy two?

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    Don't. Buy. One.
    i assume this means youve had issues? ducdave seems to love his and, AFAIK, hasnt had any problems
    it may almost be too good of a deal to pass up.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

It's probably a lemon

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Lifer

It's probably sveesix's.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    ducdave seems to love his...
    Part of the ducdave name might give some insight on that.

Solution.

You buy my Harley and then give me the info for the multistrada and I'll buy it.

Problem solved.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

It's a great bike. Tons of torque/power. Needs to be set up as they all do. Going to love it. I'm currently in North Carolina, Virginia on it and it's been running flawlessly. Plastic tank is a issue I had to deal with. Had mine coated during replacement. It was awesome on the BRP and the general area.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidse17 View Post
    Leave her for a hot chick working at a convenience store in the middle of nowhere North Carolina who would surely not mind if you got it!
    Place was all locked up and closed last year. She couldn't risk Ox coming back!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I just made the move onto a 2013 Pikes Peak. It's only got 666 miles on it (Hail Satan!), but so far it's a brilliant experience.

It smokes every adventure bike on the planet if you're talking street-ability. The only thing that comes somewhat close is the KTM 1190. The new Capanord is really a better deal in terms of price to standard equipment... but on a track day, the MTS will pass more sportbikes

If you need a proper (off road) adventure bike though, it's really not in competition with the GS, Tiger, or KTM.

(p.s. obviously, these are my opinions... minimum test rides, lots of arm chair experience. Bottom line, I LOVE this Duc!)

Last edited by abeer; 06-13-14 at 09:51 PM.

i assume this means youve had issues? ducdave seems to love his and, AFAIK, hasnt had any problems
    it may almost be too good of a deal to pass up.
    The settlement probably prevents him from saying.......the fact remains that after a year of BS Ducati bought it back. I don't think it's the first Multi they've bought back from people on this board either.

Ouch, getting a Lemon that sour is not fun. I'd definitely be curious to hear what kinds of issues have been had. Is there a thread on this whole mess? I am on ducati.ms a lot, there really aren't that many unhappy MTS owners on there. Some of the happy owners have done some serious mileage as well. A few have been around Iceland on their Duc's Truth be told, any marque can put out some duds, and very few factories like to admit guilt and pay for their mistakes. (KTM had some semi-public horror stories I believe)

My business partner's GS1200 Adventure has gone full lemon on him, and BMW has made no effort to correct two massive suspension failures. Well over $6000 of repairs needed... But the GS1200 Adventure is one of the most successful and widely enjoyed adventure bikes on the planet. People ride them around the world (even regular people who don't have chase trucks )

My mother in-law's new BMW 3 had a catastrophic transmission fail on the 808 Freeway in Oakland doing 75mph. It was under warranty, but she still got the run around for 6 months!

If you google any marque of motor-vehicle with the word "problem" or "failure", there is plenty of misery out there to go around.

That said, I did buy the big, bells and whistles extended warranty. Italian motorsports and reliable are not exactly synonyms.

i assume this means youve had issues? ducdave seems to love his and, AFAIK, hasnt had any problems it may almost be too good of a deal to pass up.
    I researched them and others in a loosely defined "tall bikes" group before buying the Tiger 1050. Most sophisticated chassis electronics and most powerful engine of the group, which also included then-new Ninja 1000 ABS and BMW R1200R. You can now probably add the BMW S1000R. All of those bikes are a little odd looking but can be ridden for days and have luggage and windshield options.

At the time they were having some fueling issues and were quite thirsty: there had been a number of ECU upgrades since that may have remedied this. The percentage of owners who had issues during the warranty period concerned me. I was jaundiced because a co-worker took an 848 into Lemon Law arbitration and Ducati fought him every inch of the way.

There is a reason why huge corporations spend a lot of money on branding and BMW and HD, for example, are legendary. And they don't even have "Ducati Girls!" A co-worker was an extremely devoted BMW GS rider. He replaced the transmission on his first. His second one, he broke the rear subframe and they took the bike back in trade (probably a "secret warranty" deal) towards a GS-A. It took almost two years, many dealer visits and three rotor replacements to get rid of an ABS light and brake pulse problem.

In a owner survey a year or two ago, CR found BMW and HD to be the least reliable: and their riders had the highest owner satisfaction. Jeep Wranglers and Minis, ditto. Branding At Work.

Botto has had a lot of issues with his. He also had issues with his previous Triumph. If it weren't for bad luck that boy'd have no luck at all...

I've had an occaisional issue with an exv error. Simple to address...and free. I also get an occaisional DES (suspension) error. I've always been able to clear them. The biggest issue I had was with the Ohlins forks. I think I had to replace seals 4 times. There was a recall that seems to have corrected that though I also put 'fork savers' on about 15k ago so I can't say for sure which solved the problem!

Everyone that I know who has a Multi absolutely loves it. I'm wondering where this deal is you're looking at. Ducati bought back Botto's bike I believe. Wondering if it's on the market. If it is is should be a smokin' deal. I for one would snatch it up.

Good luck...!

Last edited by DucDave; 06-14-14 at 01:48 PM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

It's a good bike. Super tall. Would I buy another, no. I would rather have another Tuono. Especially with that v4. Don't get me wrong it's capable, fun and great for long rides but if you really want to wick it up it will need suspension help.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    ... In a owner survey a year or two ago, CR found BMW and HD to be the least reliable: and their riders had the highest owner satisfaction. Jeep Wranglers and Minis, ditto. Branding At Work.
    Branding, yes, but also being satisfied with the machine in other ways.

My wife has a 2002 Mini Cooper S, and it's a great and fun little car. We've got 120K on it, and it's had a bit of trouble, but not excessive. And Mini has been *very* good at customer service and taking care of us, even though we're the third owner.

I've got 225K on my Ducati I bought new, and it's been damn solid.

We're in the process of buying a 2002 BMW 525i wagon with 150K on it. With the Sport package and a 5-spd manual, it's a rare combination, and we're looking forward to it.

Between my parents and my wife and I, we've owned and loved 10 Alfa Romeos over the last 40+ years. Collectively, they had over a million miles on them, more than half of which were put on by my family. They required attention to maintenance, but (like my Duc) were not too troublesome if you followed the schedule reasonably closely. Great cars, and if they bring back the marque with some practically shaped sedans (or wagons!), I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we end up with one.

I haven't owned a Harley, but I quite like them for what they're good at. If I ever got it in my head to own a cruiser, it would very likely be a Harley. The Road King also keeps tempting me; it's a beautiful machine, and great for relaxed touring. My wife and I rented one once, on Maui to go explore the island, and it was perfect for that.

I will admit that the one BMW bike I had was the worst bike I ever owned (a 1979 R65 airhead). I had a lot of trouble with that, and it only had 80K on it. More than that, when it was running fine, it still felt lacking and didn't really do anything very well. That said, I like some of the newer BMWs, particularly the K1200R and K1300R. If they ever take that big inline six K1600GT and build a naked K1600R version, I would buy that bike.

YMMV.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 06-14-14 at 08:41 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    It's a good bike. Super tall. Would I buy another, no. I would rather have another Tuono. Especially with that v4. Don't get me wrong it's capable, fun and great for long rides but if you really want to wick it up it will need suspension help.
    I took a testride on the V4 Tuono a few weeks ago, back-to-back with also testing the new Monster 1200. I liked the new Monster a lot; they really did a great job on it, although the left side isn't as pretty as it ought to be. The Tuono was interesting; I probably wouldn't buy one. (a) It was too sporty for a naked bike -- if I was going to get something that sport-oriented, I'd just get a sportbike (which probably would be the RSV4). (b) It's got the same fatal flaw as the MV Agusta Brutale -- it gets less than 30mpg and thus has no range.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    I'm wondering where this deal is you're looking at. Ducati bought back Botto's bike I believe. Wondering if it's on the market. If it is is should be a smokin' deal. I for one would snatch it up.

Good luck...!
    trade in here at work. may not be as smokin a deal as originally thought, but still under retail. i figured it would be a good 2 up tourer for the wife and i since she no longer has a street bike. also, this way, she could ride one when she wants and i would still have something to ride.
    gonna bring her down on wed and maybe take it for a test ride

Last edited by SVRACER01; 06-14-14 at 11:44 AM.

beige camry attack mojobreakfast's Avatar

I have a 2012 that I bought out of the crate at Seacoast. It now has 10,000+ miles. It's been 100% reliable. No mechanical issues at all except for an occasional clunk noise from the front forks which is pretty well known on these bikes and there's a shim kit to fix it. I haven't had the kit done yet. One recall to have the coolant swapped to a different formula. Looks great, rides great, and never let me down. I'd say the only definitive negative about this bike is the poorly designed windscreen which causes a lot of buffeting for certain riders (height, helmet design, etc). I've only just begun to address it by ordering a shorty aftermarket screen. It's only a problem for me on the highway over certain speeds that mostly aren't legal anyways.

no bikes currently

Buy it, you wont be sorry

18,000 miles on my 2011, bought it new. i got the base model as the electronic suspension felt a little too complex for me. Coolant recall, a rotor and tank replaced under warranty. Ran rough down low, not bad enough to do anything about, was much better after the 15,000 mile service. Mojobreakfast is spot on - buffeting was an issue from day one - several screens later its acceptable but not great.

Other than above, no issues - nothing. Fast, all day comfortable, huge grin factor - great machine. i'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

2011 Ducati MTS 1200 (For Sale!) 2017 FZ-10

I just put some white panniers on my MTS. They integrate completely, and come off as if they had never been there (no ugly mounting brackets). Even with the panniers, it still rides like a proper hooligan bike. The tech is brilliant, choose from the menu how you want your suspension dialed in, traction control, throttle response. It's the easiest bike I've ever ridden, and yet it's got a ridiculous amount of top end grunt.

My only two gripes are...

1: The tank range is only about 190 miles (200 if you ride super easy), but the fuel light comes on at like 140 miles.
    2: It's REALLY hard to keep it mellow and low key when the damned thing wants to be at 65mph while you're in 2nd gear. Seriously, It is far too easy to ride fast on this bike.

Anyhow, here's how my sweetheart looks with the new panniers...

multistrada-6hdsj4w-x2-jpg
    multistrada-pnfnwfl-x2-jpg
    multistrada-qsv4rzl-xl-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That looks sick. Really like that wind screen

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast