Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Those crazy Indians

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

Those crazy Indians

So, I have some coworkers in India who are really into motorcycles. They love to hear about riding in the US, and they often send stories about their adventures in India. The roads sound pretty nasty over there, but the photos they send have some amazing scenery in them.
    One coworker (Abhishek Tyagi) just sent a note about his friend who is off on his latest trip. This is part of the note:

One of my fellow rider from Madras Bulls Motorcycling Club, Gokulram Vasanthi (AKA Terror) has started his Magnum Opus Trip from Chennai(Tamil Nadu) India to Leh and from Leh to Kanyakumari and then to Chennai on a Bajaj M80. He will be covering total distance of somewhere close to 8000 Kms. There have been many people who have done it on bigger and reliable machine. But doing it on a 74CC and mere 4.5 BHP machine, facing the extreme road(Unpaved, narrow and uncountable freezing water streams) and weather conditions(50 deg Centigrade to Extreme Rain to -10 degree) is something no less then Hercules effort. Note that, the rider has a Prosthesis Leg and have only a Thumb and little finger in right hand, Still he has been one of the finest riders on road and track. Leh is the Mecca of riders in India. This also include Khardung La, the highest Motorable Pass in the world.

There are some interesting movies of some of their adventures for sale here: http://www.dirttrackproductions.com/ourfilms.html

Some pretty amazing footage of the mountain regions of India.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Those crazy Indians

Quote Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
    So, I have some coworkers in India who are really into motorcycles. They love to hear about riding in the US, and they often send stories about their adventures in India. The roads sound pretty nasty over there, but the photos they send have some amazing scenery in them.
    One coworker (Abhishek Tyagi) just sent a note about his friend who is off on his latest trip. This is part of the note:

One of my fellow rider from Madras Bulls Motorcycling Club, Gokulram Vasanthi (AKA Terror) has started his Magnum Opus Trip from Chennai(Tamil Nadu) India to Leh and from Leh to Kanyakumari and then to Chennai on a Bajaj M80. He will be covering total distance of somewhere close to 8000 Kms. There have been many people who have done it on bigger and reliable machine. But doing it on a 74CC and mere 4.5 BHP machine, facing the extreme road(Unpaved, narrow and uncountable freezing water streams) and weather conditions(50 deg Centigrade to Extreme Rain to -10 degree) is something no less then Hercules effort. Note that, the rider has a Prosthesis Leg and have only a Thumb and little finger in right hand, Still he has been one of the finest riders on road and track. Leh is the Mecca of riders in India. This also include Khardung La, the highest Motorable Pass in the world.

There are some interesting movies of some of their adventures for sale here: http://www.dirttrackproductions.com/ourfilms.html

Some pretty amazing footage of the mountain regions of India.
    Yes we are a tad bit crazy. But, from personal experience and IMHO on an unpaved narrow road, you'd rather ride a 74cc than a 250+. Thanks for this.

Thumbs up Re: Those crazy Indians

:beerb

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

I recently watched "Riding Solo To The Top Of The World".
    What an amazing ride.

I'm looking forward to watching "One Crazy Ride" when I have the opportunity.

Sam

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Oh c'mon, they're trying to open remote Kwikee Marts.

Seriously though, I work with quite a few Indian folks and have heard similar stories of riding on much smaller bikes over really crappy roads.I just want to know how they navigate their city streets . . .
    YouTube - ‪India Driving‬‏

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by 07BladeRider View Post
    I just want to know how they navigate their city streets . . .
    oh...its real fun!!

Whenever I go home, I ride like a squid and do all thats not possible here coz of the cops and what not. I ride like a free bird .

Chuck, its just a matter of getting used to.

There’s just engineering, skill, and luck.

-1988 Kawasaki Ninja 750 - sold
    -1997 Honda CBR600F3 - sold
    -2011 Ducati Streetfighter S - current

scootertrash, good post, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    I recently watched "Riding Solo To The Top Of The World".
    What an amazing ride.

I'm looking forward to watching "One Crazy Ride" when I have the opportunity.
    i just bought it through iTunes, looks great

Beta 200RR

lots of riding there!

although most of it is for transportation...not recreation...so I enjoy hearing stories from Indian bikers conquering the terrain for the sake of riding

it's VERY expensive to import the big JAP bikes that we get here too

I remember going to stay with my mom's side of the family at 14 years old, and taking an 80cc moped on and off roading in shorts, a t-shirt, a baseball cap, and sunglasses...man was I thrilled about being WOT in 2nd gear and carrying some speed for the first time

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-07-11 at 10:00 PM.