Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Riddle me this? KTM 520 SX

Riddle me this? KTM 520 SX

I found a 2001 KTM 520 SX for a very good price in great condition, as well as low hours. I am looking for insight & wanted to know if there are any horror stories or great info about these.

One thing I was hoping was that it was street legal, but this one is not as it does not have a light kit, or DOT tires.

What and how much would it cost for a motard set up?

What would it cost to street title this?

I was just looking for a 250 or 300 for dirt only, but this sounds like a great deal!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Re: Riddle me this? KTM 520 SX

What is considered a great price on those if you dont mind me asking?

I have an 02 520SX. No real horror stories that I've heard or experienced. They did have an early issue with the auto-decompressor stop bolt and nut (nylock) coming loose and grenading the top end, but it's a $10, 1-hour fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Squid View Post
    I found a 2001 KTM 520 SX for a very good price in great condition, as well as low hours. I am looking for insight & wanted to know if there are any horror stories or great info about these.

One thing I was hoping was that it was street legal, but this one is not as it does not have a light kit, or DOT tires.

I was just looking for a 250 or 300 for dirt only, but this sounds like a great deal!
    You could piece together a kit for $1,500 bucks: used wheels, a set of tires, and a front brake kit. If you are pretty hands on, you can rebuild the suspensions using pretty much all stock parts and have a fun bike on the track. Without suspension work it will be a fun hooligan bike, for sure, but not quite track worthy.

Street titling it will require you to sell it to someone in Vermont (easiest place to do it). Build the bike to pass Vermont inspection. Have it inspected for a street title issuance (not just a normal inspection sticker). Wait for the street title to be issued. I think you may have to register it as well, which means paying VT sales tax. Buy the bike back from the guy in VT. Pay Mass sales tax when you register it. Its doable, but time consuming and not easy.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

The early usd forks left alot of the woods guys revalving. The sx is the mx or super cross version so I believe they only had 4spd gearboxes, not a strong enough stator for lights, and stiffer mx suspension anyways.
    Look for an exc. they had the magic button, light supporting stators, and better road worthiness. Also, a ds kit will run about another 500, in addition to the sumo setup.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Squid View Post
    No horror that I've heard of other than what tricky said..the motors are pretty solid.

As already mentioned, this bike doesn't put out the power needed to run even basic lights. Not really a huge issue, but plan on spending some coin to get that power

I just bought a new Warp9 new complete kit for mine..no tires.. for $910.00 with a 5" rear wheel. Figure another $350 for tires and tubes..or find some take offs from an SV or something? As also mentioned, the bike comes stock with a 4spd gear box, which is kinda going to suck in most places other than a MX track. The nice thing about KTM, you can put 5th and 6th gears in it if you want...and want to spend the cash.

Then I would continue looking for a 250 or 300
    Don't buy the wrong bike because it's a good deal. If you're looking for a woods bike, this is probably one of the worst bikes for the woods. The MX gearbox is going to keep you so busy with clutch and throttle, you're going to slack everywhere else and end up fighting yourself and the bike

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by R7; 06-18-12 at 12:29 PM.
    Yamaha

Thanks guys! Good advise. To be used as a track toy will cost me a min of $1500-on top of purchase price + more if I want it street legal... Uhg glad I asked! . & not a good dirt toy. Double bummer..

I may go look at it anyways, but if I got it I would flip it as is for more as it really is a great price.

I found a honda 2005 CRF250X all set up motard and street legal for $3000, so that may be the right price for what I want. I am sure it's easier and cheaper to find dirty wheel set up and cheaper.

I am leaning towards KTM, but Honda is a definate contender..

Last edited by Half Squid; 06-18-12 at 01:05 PM.
    Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

to the OP my friend is selling a 85% street legal (comes with other 15%) 02 ktm 520sx supermoto, most of the street parts are installed but a few aren't. it's all there, though, and in excellent overall condition. he has 2 sets of plastics and 2 sets of tires and a title. I think he is in the low to mid $3k range. lmk I can put him in contact with you (or anyone!).
    --

current: 06 zx6r, 03 450exc
    sold: 01 gsxr750, 01 RC51, 96 cr500, 98 superhawk, 00 sv650, 78 cb750, 98 dr350, 74 cb125