Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 81

Mystery Road??

  1. #26
    Lifer NobodySpecific's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,739

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Smutty's argument is that this rider may not be demonstrating habits, but individual risk-assessed decisions. I have no idea how you got what you did out of his post.
    I understand that, but "may not be" doesn't mean "is not", and it also doesn't mean that there aren't other riders reading this that might not have cared much about it either way before. It seems to me he wants to kill any discussion regarding the issue of crossing the yellow line simply because it wasn't done in a bad way in the video, which I think is a little silly. It's something that lots of people do (myself included, but I make a point to try not to), so to bring it up again isn't a bad thing.

    I was a little snarky because the tone from his last few posts was pretty snarky.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

  2. #27
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,470

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    I understand that, but "may not be" doesn't mean "is not", and it also doesn't mean that there aren't other riders reading this that might not have cared much about it either way before. It seems to me he wants to kill any discussion regarding the issue of crossing the yellow line simply because it wasn't done in a bad way in the video, which I think is a little silly. It's something that lots of people do (myself included, but I make a point to try not to), so to bring it up again isn't a bad thing.
    Every rider knows crossing the yellow line is risky. Its taught in basic drivers ed, 4-wheels and all. If I understand what you're trying to say, you're saying that every time someone talks about not riding with a helmet, we need to discuss why that's very risky each time. Just in case other people read it, or that we all need reminders. Some people think its dumb and too risky, some don't. Just like helmets. Just like hi-vis. Just like loud pipes, and just like the whole idea of riding a motorcycle. Unless you want to bust out actuary tables so we can start plugging in numbers...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  3. #28
    Lifer NobodySpecific's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,739

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Every rider knows crossing the yellow line is risky. Its taught in basic drivers ed, 4-wheels and all. If I understand what you're trying to say, you're saying that every time someone talks about not riding with a helmet, we need to discuss why that's very risky each time. Just in case other people read it, or that we all need reminders. Some people think its dumb and too risky, some don't. Just like helmets. Just like hi-vis. Just like loud pipes, and just like the whole idea of riding a motorcycle. Unless you want to bust out actuary tables so we can start plugging in numbers...
    But not every rider realizes they are doing it in the first place. You can call bullshit on that all you want, but I've ridden behind people that seemed surprised they were very close to or over the yellow line, because their focus was on the road ahead of them.

    And I'm not saying we have to discuss anything. I'm not saying that this needs to be discussed in great detail, nor am I saying that we need to preach the critical safety things each time somebody talks about anything. I just don't understand the need to defend crossing the double yellow in a corner, as if it is a good thing to do, while being a snarky ass to those that think it's a bad idea.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

  4. #29
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    734

    Re: Mystery Road??

    YES EP Road. I preferred it to T****Rd.
    AND---you guys are funny!!!!
    Someone please define "decent clip" so that I can ask the four "solo" riders following me if that's what we were doing??? (you did read the original post about being fully- loaded AND two-up??)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #30
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    734

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Both roads are not on most maps---at least not the one's I've used!!!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #31
    Cabin Fever kb1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Down South
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,978

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Really? The guy is two up on a sport touring bike and crosses the line with clear sight and the thread is going to go two pages??

    Enjoy the damn video, guess the road and stfu.

    Nice vid dude, road looks sweet, wish it was closer to me.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #32
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    734

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    Really? The guy is two up on a sport touring bike and crosses the line with clear sight and the thread is going to go two pages??

    Enjoy the damn video, guess the road and stfu.

    Nice vid dude, road looks sweet, wish it was closer to me.


    No nice roads close to me so I go to them, hence the touring bike.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #33
    Lifer SprintPoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Central MA
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: Mystery Road??

    When I'm out riding on the street I'd much prefer leaning the bike over more to make a corner at a slower speed, rather than straightening out my lines to "set up for the next corner (as in racing.)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

  9. #34
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    734

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    When I'm out riding on the street I'd much prefer leaning the bike over more to make a corner at a slower speed, rather than straightening out my lines to "set up for the next corner (as in racing.)
    And what would you do when you are scraping pegs and spooking your very "forgiving" passenger? You see, everything in life is a compromise, at least when riding on the street. The track's a different thing. BTW- my co-pilot had no problem with the way we were riding****at least I didn't get the "death grip"***but I do have a fantastic passenger!!!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #35
    #331 CBR929RE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bridgewater, MA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,623

    Re: Mystery Road??

    I don't care if he has a clear view ahead. He was doing nothing to warrant going over the line onto the side of the road that is NOT his. He crossed the line simply to fucking do it. end of story. I don't care what excuse he wants to come up with. if you're gonna cross the line at least have a legitimate reason for doing so. something like there was a giant pot hole right in the line, there was a dead animal or a rock or he was going at a speed where it just took him over it or any number of other things. from the few minutes I watched I didn't see a single reason he could't have stayed in HIS lane. I've never ridden with or seen in person how Steve rides but from what I gather he's a good rider not some newb who doesn't know how to take a corner. so basically what I'm saying is, he's better than what he showed in this video. wasn't his intent with the thread but hey its the internet.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #36
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    69
    Posts
    15,980

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Not sure where it is, but would you please quit crossing over the double yellow?

    --mark

    Edit: Hadn't watched to the end; now I know where it is. You missed the better roads in the area. Unless you just didn't record those.
    ya pretty easy to figger out if you watch it to the end, theres a sign that tells ya where you are

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

  12. #37
    Lifer SprintPoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Central MA
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by Tricklidz View Post
    And what would you do when you are scraping pegs and spooking your very "forgiving" passenger? You see, everything in life is a compromise, at least when riding on the street. The track's a different thing. BTW- my co-pilot had no problem with the way we were riding****at least I didn't get the "death grip"***but I do have a fantastic passenger!!!
    Easy one: SLOW DOWN

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

  13. #38
    675'r jtryz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ashland
    Posts
    735

    Re: Mystery Road??

    N hudson Mariah RD.....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jtryz; 06-12-12 at 06:55 PM.

  14. #39
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    734

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by jtryz View Post
    N hudson Mariah RD.....
    Ensign Pond Rd., Mariah, NY. East to West

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    Easy one: SLOW DOWN
    Good One!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #40
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,436

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    But not every rider realizes they are doing it in the first place. You can call bullshit on that all you want, but I've ridden behind people that seemed surprised they were very close to or over the yellow line, because their focus was on the road ahead of them.

    And I'm not saying we have to discuss anything. I'm not saying that this needs to be discussed in great detail, nor am I saying that we need to preach the critical safety things each time somebody talks about anything. I just don't understand the need to defend crossing the double yellow in a corner, as if it is a good thing to do, while being a snarky ass to those that think it's a bad idea.
    So why dont you post a PSA thread about it?

    Sorry if I come off as snarky, but I have a question. Do you go over the speed limit? And if so do you think speeding is any better than crossing the double yellow when you have a clear line of sight? Just saying speeding is much more dangerous and you probably do it.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by csmutty; 06-12-12 at 07:54 PM.
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  16. #41
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    734

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I don't care if he has a clear view ahead. He was doing nothing to warrant going over the line onto the side of the road that is NOT his**************I guess that you have a problem with passing on the double yellow when there's a clear view also? Heck I'd be in a lane that wasn't "mine"*********** He crossed the line simply to fucking do it. end of story.******Hmmmm, so you know that from watching a video***** I don't care what excuse he wants to come up with. if you're gonna cross the line at least have a legitimate reason for doing so. something like there was a giant pot hole right in the line, *****or rough pavement (notice the patches) or wet spots (notice the dampness)****there was a dead animal or a rock or he was going at a speed where it just took him over it or any number of other things.*****listed above***** from the few minutes***(maybe only the times I crosed??)********* I watched I didn't see a single reason he could't have stayed in HIS lane. ******first of all, I start in the middle of the road (safest place to be, from my 40 yrs of riding experience) and have no problem crossing the DY in certain circumstances (see above), remember I have a clear line of sight****I've never ridden with or seen in person how Steve rides but from what I gather he's a good rider ***( so, you're point again?)*****not some newb who doesn't know how to take a corner.****(see years riding)***** so basically what I'm saying is, he's better than what he showed in this video. wasn't his intent with the thread but hey its the internet.
    ****yeah, the interweb, right!!! Hahahhahahaha

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #42
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    734

    Re: Mystery Road??

    T**** Rd.
    *****DOUBLE YELLOW LINE ALERT*******
    I crossed the DY a total of 6 times in the following video---I counted!!
    Please note: Camera is mounted 2ft. to the left (when viewed from seat) of center line of motorcycle. So when yellow line is in the center of screen I am 2 ft. to the inside of the line!!

    Carry on.......

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #43
    Just Registered Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jericho, VT
    Posts
    19,396

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Hmm... I have ridden both those roads at a faster clip and never crossed the yellow...

    I treat it like a game, just use my lane.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

  19. #44
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    734

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Hmm... I have ridden both those roads at a faster clip and never crossed the yellow...

    I treat it like a game, just use my lane.
    Doc, I'm sure I could to, but I like to stay near the middle of the road and under these conditions, I had no need to stay completely in my lane. My intent was not to see how fast I could go on these roads. I had never been on either before, and the fact that I was "touring" , riding double, did not warrant it!
    I don't play games!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #45
    Just Registered Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jericho, VT
    Posts
    19,396

    Re: Mystery Road??

    I hear ya, you feel staying near the middle is safer to see through the corner, especially on a road you may be unfamiliar with.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

  21. #46
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    734

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I hear ya, you feel staying near the middle is safer to see through the corner, especially on a road you may be unfamiliar with.
    Yes.
    And it gives more safety room on either side for critters, driveways, etc.
    Less road debris- oil, etc.
    Quicker passing with less movement.
    When in traffic, out of veh blind spots.
    Many more reasons....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #47
    Lifer NobodySpecific's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,739

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    So why dont you post a PSA thread about it?

    Sorry if I come off as snarky, but I have a question. Do you go over the speed limit? And if so do you think speeding is any better than crossing the double yellow when you have a clear line of sight? Just saying speeding is much more dangerous and you probably do it.
    Have I even once criticized the OP for crossing the double yellow? I'm very curious why you are so vigorously defending the practice. I already admitted to crossing the double yellow on occasion, but that doesn't make it right. Why the fuck would I post a PSA about it? I'm not saying we should go screaming at every rider we see "DON'T CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW!", but in a thread where the discussion is relevant I see no reason to silence it.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

  23. #48
    Posting Freak
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    734

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Let's relax a little. I've stated that the camera position makes it look much worse than it is! Trust me, if I was constantly that far over the DY the GF would be screaming at me through the intercom---not a peep!
    BUT--I must state, that I care less about what is RIGHT-- while riding and in life--but I do what "I" feel is SAFE at the time---while riding and in life! I don't ride a motorcycle to follow some cage around rural VT at 35mph because the law says so........when it's time to GO---we GO!!!, could care less how many lines are on the road or their color! Yeah, I'm a rebel alright. Shit, if that was the case I'd get a Harley. Hahhahahhaa
    That is all.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tricklidz; 06-12-12 at 09:02 PM.

  24. #49
    #331 CBR929RE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bridgewater, MA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,623

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by Tricklidz View Post
    ****yeah, the interweb, right!!! Hahahhahahaha
    so you had a clear line of sight when crossing the line, was your view blocked by staying a foot or 2 to your right? that point doesn't mean shit when you can still see down the road from your own lane.and really if you can't clearly see down the lane you're in then you probably can't clearly see down the other lane either so you need to slow down (not that I think in this case you were going too fast). so yeah I have a big problem with you crossing the double yellow for no good reason. bad driving habits piss me off, especially when people refuse to learn to do it the correct way. like I said there were times you crossed the double yellow ONTO bad pavement. so the argument that you were trying to avoid it doesn't fly. avoiding damp patches, if there are damp patches wouldn't you think the yellow paint/plastic might still be wet too and its a lot more slippery than wet pavement. again your argument doesn't fly. so you make 3 points all of which are easily refuted. there's a reason double yellow lines mean no passing. its unsafe to do so. line of sight isn't the only reason. what if someone just flys out of their driveway without looking but stays in their lane? I'm not saying don't ever cross it no matter what, just be a little smarter about it. if you have 40 years of riding experience then you should have been able to stay on your side of the road and avoided all the stuff you mention or just ridden over it without a problem.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #50
    #331 CBR929RE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bridgewater, MA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,623

    Re: Mystery Road??

    Quote Originally Posted by Tricklidz View Post
    Doc, I'm sure I could to, but I like to stay near the middle of the road and under these conditions, I had no need to stay completely in my lane. My intent was not to see how fast I could go on these roads. I had never been on either before, and the fact that I was "touring" , riding double, did not warrant it!
    I don't play games!
    so you feel riding on the wrong side of the road is the correct thing to do rather than just slowing down a touch to stay on the correct side. you even say you weren't going that fast so really there's no reason to cross it. and if any part of your vehicle crosses the line then you have crossed the line. if you put a 6 foot 2x4 off the side of your bike and it crosses the line then you crossed the line. every part of your vehicle it to remain in its lane. why is this so hard to understand. (that's a rhetorical question)

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-17-16, 11:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •