Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My naked TLS

Re: My naked TLS

I swapped wheels on my Z1000, it is fairly easy if you get a similar hub size, Check your axle diameter then the diameter of the donor bike and make sure bearings are available. Machining up custom spacers sounds like a job your dad can tackle and the only other considerations are chain alignment and tire clearance on the swinging arm.
    Take time to measure it all out before buying anything is my advice! I had to do a lot of research to find a suitable axle to use in my swap.

Bike is looking great, I would cut the cans down by a couple of inches to increase the mean look!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I swapped wheels on my Z1000, it is fairly easy if you get a similar hub size, Check your axle diameter then the diameter of the donor bike and make sure bearings are available. Machining up custom spacers sounds like a job your dad can tackle and the only other considerations are chain alignment and tire clearance on the swinging arm.
    Take time to measure it all out before buying anything is my advice! I had to do a lot of research to find a suitable axle to use in my swap.

Bike is looking great, I would cut the cans down by a couple of inches to increase the mean look!!
    Those cans are already loud...I wouldn't cut them down any more haha.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Those cans are already loud...I wouldn't cut them down any more haha.
    Loud pipes save lives!!!!

Loud pipes save lives!!!!
    Quiet pipes save eardrums.

You ever hear back about that title issue?

Thanks for the info. Now if only I can get my hands on a rear wheel for some measuring...

And I hear where you're coming from about the cans...I would love shorties, but csmutty is right about them - they're already pretty loud. I would love to change them to something crazy...like the Laser X-Treme Quads I had on my Z

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    You ever hear back about that title issue?
    I haven't looked into it anymore. At this point I figure it's really not worth pursuing. I kind of got screwed (not by you, by pure luck), but I don't see myself selling the bike any time soon anyways, and it's really not worth a ton in the first place. Might as well just work out the kinks, customize it further and make it worth the small loss I'll take to have a more personal bike. I still love it.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I haven't looked into it anymore. At this point I figure it's really not worth pursuing. I kind of got screwed (not by you, by pure luck), but I don't see myself selling the bike any time soon anyways, and it's really not worth a ton in the first place. Might as well just work out the kinks, customize it further and make it worth the small loss I'll take to have a more personal bike. I still love it.
    Gotcha. Looks sick btw. I miss that motor.

Posting Freak

pop over to TL planet and or TL zone. Some of the guys there have done just about anythying and everything TL related

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Looks great.
    I ride this beast a few years back and it scares the shit outta me then. Glad to see joes bike went to a good home.

I told my dad I want him to teach me how to weld, and he told me to find a project that I can apply fabrication, template building and welding to.

So after firing up the bike for the spring and finding another headlight burned out, I decided I'm going to fab up a new headlight and cluster mount that attaches to the forks instead of the frame. I just bought and will be using the headlight off of a 2005 GSXR 600/750, this one here:

It will take a bit of hacking it up to get it to mount cleanly, but that should not be a problem. I'll also be buying an H7 HID low beam kit for the projector, and I'll use the stock H4 halogen for the high beam.

Also going to fix up the radiator, since it is bent and needs a new lower mount. I think I'm also going to change the awesome Swissgear overflow to something that looks a bit nicer.

There's also a possibility of swapping the tail, and I just found out that the 05/06 CBR 600RR tail fits the TLS subframe with very little modding required, so this may be in the books.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 03-08-12 at 09:14 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Anyone ever done a retrofit on a headlight? I need to cut this one up a bit to make it a bit less bulky, but it looks like any type of cutting will expose the inside to moisture.

Retrofitters - how do you seal it back up? I'm thinking maybe lining it with sheet metal after hacking part of the back off. Any suggestions?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I started on the headlight today. Decided not to cut into the headlight and instead mount it as it is, using some of the stock mounting points with some custom made brackets off the top and lower triple. It looks fantastic so far. We have all the brackets fabbed, now we need to cut the uppers out of steel. Once that is done, we're going to find a way to mount the cluster, then I'll work on some fairings for the headlight.

Pics so far:

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Opened up the headlight! I'm going to be shaving some of the reflector to get it to sit closer to the glass, and therefore lessen the amount of bulk on the back of the light. I'm going to get it so that the light sits as close as possible to the forks.

My inspiration is sully's TLS streetfighter (from customfighters.com and tlzone.net):

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Getting very close to completion with this little project. The headlight mounts are all fabricated, the wiring is all tucked inside the frame head, and I just finished sealing the headlight last night. Now all I'm waiting for is the radiator, which should be here today. I'm pretty excited to get this project completed this coming weekend!

Here's the final test-fitting of the headlight. It's tucked a lot tighter to the forks than before.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Have you taken into account how the light is projected when fabbing the mounting brackets? Will it be correctly aimed and/or adjustable to get it correctly aimed? Would suck to get all the work done and have your light either aimed at the sky or hitting the ground right in front of the bike.

Looking good either way!

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Have you taken into account how the light is projected when fabbing the mounting brackets? Will it be correctly aimed and/or adjustable to get it correctly aimed? Would suck to get all the work done and have your light either aimed at the sky or hitting the ground right in front of the bike.

Looking good either way!

Joel
    Yep, I aimed everything this last weekend when I finally got my HID setup. It should be pretty close the way it sits in the brackets right now, plus I left all of the aiming adjusters so I can still adjust up or down a bit.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

This bike is coming out AMAZING. Wish i had the ability to do this kind of rebuild.

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

I never realized how much the TL looks like a 1st Gen SV before.

Love reading threads like this. Great work. I like how you have gome through several iterations with the brackets.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    I never realized how much the 1st Gen SV looks like a TL before.
    Fixed.

The TLS was around long before the first gen SV. Mine was the first one delivered in New England (or so I was told when I picked it up) Ordered my '97 TL1000S in early fall of 06 and was jonesing for it to show up all winter so I remember it well.

Joel

I finished my project to my satisfaction yesterday. Here's the final product:

I'm going to wait until I find a more compact set of gauges to put my flyscreen back on. I've read that the 02 GSXR 1000 gauge is 95% compatible and a lot more compact, or I can always do something like a Veypor. But for the time being, I'm very happy with how it came out.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Wirelessly posted

Very nice!

Corey

Reminiscent of a Tuono R at this point. Beautiful.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Nice! One little thing I think you could add is a barpad.

Nice work.

What up, bitches?

Nice! I had IIRC 02' GSXR 1k gauges on my 'R'. Everything worked except the dealer codes....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast