Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ducati Monster 900 front brake vibration

Ducati Monster 900 front brake vibration

Posting this up for my buddy. His 2000 Monster 900 seems to have quite the vibration from the front brakes. He was in a mild accident last year in which one of the rotors needed to be replaced, but the other is straight. The guys down at Quincy Motorsports said that this is an unresolved issue with the brakes on this bike where the internal seals go bad and cause a pulsating while braking. He was told that because Ducati and Brembo haven't come to an agreement on what the cause is, that its on the owner to just replace the calipers.

I've done some research, and it seems that this is just a regular issue with these bikes, but that doesn't sit well with me. The tires are new on the bike, and the suspension doesn't seem to be out of wack. The pads are also fairly new.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem with no solution to? Does the story about having to replace the calipers sound true? I'm going to ride it tomorrow, so I'll have a better understanding of exactly what's going on here, but I'd love to help my friend out.

Let me know if you have had any experience with this, and if you know what might help.

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

Doubt it's anything to do with it being a ducati

Pulsing is either: warped rotors, bad brake pads, or bad caliper pistons/seals.

All easily fixable. Take the piston seals out and replace them. I can't imagine the seals would cost over $40. While the seals are going in, inspect the pistons for scratches or other damage.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

New tire? Is it seated on the bead properly? Check the bead line all around to see if it is even with the rim all around.

Last edited by Degsy; 05-05-12 at 06:45 PM.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Steering head bearings.

Re: Ducati Monster 900 front brake vibration

Never had that problem with my 2000 M900, or my 1999 900SSie with the same brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Steering head bearings.
    I rode it today and that thing shakes pretty damn hard under braking. Not sure how to check the steering head bearings, but while holding the front brake and pushing on the bars, there is a click in the front end.

You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

Re: Ducati Monster 900 front brake vibration

Quote Originally Posted by DankDirtyBird View Post
    I rode it today and that thing shakes pretty damn hard under braking. Not sure how to check the steering head bearings, but while holding the front brake and pushing on the bars, there is a click in the front end.
    That could be the rotor shifting in the carrier (play in the buttons). If that is so, it isn't something to worry about and is unlikely to be causing your problem unless it is excessive.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)