Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Newenough closing out their HJC AC-11 helmets

Everybody to the limit!

Not sure how long it's been going on, but I just noticed it

http://www.newenough.com/product_gro...ut_helmets.htm

$139 is a good deal, I have the AC-10 and always liked it, might be time for an upgrade...

Too bad the bastards never made an AC-11 in green

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

ARAI

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by bbhzx12
    ARAI
    No, HJC. Did you even read the link?

I have the AC-11 helmet. It's my 1st and only helmet so I'm not able to compare it per se, but can tell you it gets very noisy in there. The visor does an OK job of staying put when turning my head at speed, and the vents work fairly well. I think its an excellent 'spare' and I'm pretty happy with it as a primary overall, e.g. I am not running out to get a new helmet for my 2nd season of riding.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Not too sure but....

I think the statement below,

Originally posted by bbhzx12
    ARAI
    meant...............

Though the price for the HJC may be a great deal, and if it is all you can afford, a great helmet as well, you would be wise to try on an ARAI helmet and go from there.

I have numerous friends that looked at me like I had seventeen heads when I told them how much I paid for my ARAI, however every one of them now rides with an ARAI. Also most if not all of them used to wear HJC lids.

On another front, is your head really worth saving a couple of bucks or would you rather have the best helmets made, whatever it may be (not HJC), protecting your noggin????????????

Again, if you are happy with the HJC by all means this looks like a great price, just trying to explain the "ARAI" post.

Joel

Re: Not too sure but....

Originally posted by tls25rs
    I think the statement below,

meant...............

Though the price for the HJC may be a great deal, and if it is all you can afford, a great helmet as well, you would be wise to try on an ARAI helmet and go from there.

I have numerous friends that looked at me like I had seventeen heads when I told them how much I paid for my ARAI, however every one of them now rides with an ARAI. Also most if not all of them used to wear HJC lids.

On another front, is your head really worth saving a couple of bucks or would you rather have the best helmets made, whatever it may be (not HJC), protecting your noggin????????????

Again, if you are happy with the HJC by all means this looks like a great price, just trying to explain the "ARAI" post.

Joel
    i would like 2 see the data that says "ARAI" going 2 save your ass better then HJC

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

He said save your head, no helmet made today is ever going to protect your ass unless you have no clue how to wear it.
    just for starters, and I know this is not a safety rating:
    http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/jdpa_...cleHelmets.jsp
    Go to www.araiamericas.com and check out what they put into their helmets. Read through the posts on ant motorcycle message board you'd like, how many have switched from HJC to ARAI.....and how about ARAI to HJC? Watch a MotoGP race, these guys can wear anything they want to, how many HJC's do you see? Arai just won it's 6th JD power customer satisfaction award, they have a 5 year warranty. OK, I rode with an HJC for a year when I started riding, never thought anything could be better than my HJC. I mean the graphics were cool, it was comfortable, and I only paid $150 for it! You couldn't tell me anything was better, or even worth paying 2 times the price. Well a friend of mine bought a new GSXR and they gave him a deal on a left over ARAI Quantam helmet to replace his HJC for no other reason than he heard good things about the helmet and it matched the bike. After the 15 mile ride home he couldn't stop talking about the new helmet, and of course the bike, so he let me try it out. After the 5 mile test ride and the 15 mile ride back to the shop I tossed my HJC, realizing how wrong I had been and how lame my old lid was, and bought an ARAI for 2 times the price of my HJC. I can't believe I ever wore that awful, saucepan of a cheap ass HJC helmet for over a year and was proud of it! Now I'm on my second ARAI, and this one retails for $790, and I wouldn't put an HJC on my head if I was riding a Vespa.

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Everybody to the limit!

I don't know how my thread got turned into a holy war, but let me just say that I *like* my AC10. It's light, it fits well, the shields are easily interchangeable, the liner is removable and washable...pretty much the only problem I've ever had with it is that the little wind visor on the top of the helmet came unglued and fell off during trackday. A bit of epoxy and five minutes later it was good as new. Now I grant you such a tragedy may never have happened had I been wearing a $790 Arai, but I'm willing to spend the $2 on the tube of model cement to make up for the roughly $500 I saved.

Now I have no problem with Arai, if those helmets fit you best, by all means spend the money and buy them. I did try an Arai helmet and I'll grant you it did seem quieter at highway speeds than my AC10, but I always wear earplugs now so that doesn't really factor in. As far as all other points, it didn't feel any lighter or more comfortable or more sturdy than my helmet...question, have you tried the top of the line HJC's or is your experience based on the ill fitting lid they "threw in" with that first bike you purchased? There's a big difference between the basic model and the high end composite line in any manufacturer's lineup, but I would guess that this is doubly true for a company like HJC that makes such a wide variety of helmets. The AC-11 just happens to be HJC's top end helmet, replacing the AC-10 that I own, and unless they've cheaped out on them in the last year I'd happily buy one to replace my lid.

As to the racers, well I haven't met any sponsored racers I'm afraid, but having been up at loudon hanging around the NESR racing pitbox, I've seen a good many privateers wearing HJC AC-10 helmets, then again racers by definition don't value their lives very highly so maybe that isn't the best metric, eh?

HJC is a fine helemt...it just does not have the bells and whistles an Arai has...

HJC is the perfect helemt for someone who can't or wont spend $400 on a helmet...

<<<---I have an HJC I use for racing, an Arai for the street...my last helmet was a Shoei..

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Re: Not too sure but....

In no way was I trying to start a "holy war".............just figured I might understand what was implied with the "ARAI" post.

I am sure that the top of the line HJC is a fairly decent lid as well, but it's the old, if a product makes you happy as an end user, then typically you will spread the word about that product.

PURELY A QUESTION MEANT TO CREATE DISCUSSION NOT FLAMING (after all that is what message boards are for right):

To the NESR racers, or anyone else for that matter, that do use the HJC lids. Do you wear the HJC lids because they are the most comfortable, lightweight, quiet, structurally sound lids you can buy? Or...............do you wear them because if you happen to crash and damage your lid it is far more economical to replace than a more expensive brand which may have more of the features you are looking for in a helmet?

I can understand if it is the latter as the difference in prices of helmets can mean your entry fees for a weekend or a set of tires that will get you through at least part of your race weekend. Just curious whether it is the economical or the belief in and love of the product that leads you the way you go.

Personally I think about the costs of replacing my helmet every time I do a track day. I know that my helmet will cost me a pretty penny to replace were I to crash and damage it in some way. Then I get to thinking and realize that, you know what, if I do wreck and my helmet gets damaged, as long as I walk away without major head injuries, a couple of bucks for a new lid is meaningless. This is pretty much how I look at all of my riding gear.

The other half of the equation for myself is, I don't ride on the track all the much so the odds of me having that big crash are less than those that race every race weekend. Which makes the fit, comfort and weight far more important for me. With the type of riding that I do, read the article "the pace", it isn't like I am going to go through helmets every month or two so I prefer to purchase based on those things as opposed to cost being a major part of my decision.

Joel

Re: Re: Not too sure but....

To the NESR racers, or anyone else for that matter, that do use the HJC lids. Do you wear the HJC lids because they are the most comfortable, lightweight, quiet, structurally sound lids you can buy? Or...............do you wear them because if you happen to crash and damage your lid it is far more economical to replace than a more expensive brand which may have more of the features you are looking for in a helmet?
    the reason I use the hjc's on the track is because they are inexpensive and the highest quality low cost helemt I have seen.

At $400 a wack...that can get expensive for the n00b racer..lol

If I had the means I would have Arai...which I do use an arai on the street because of the reasons you listed..

I honestly do not think an arai will protect your head any better...after a certain point it make no difference whatkinda helemt you have on...but the Arai is lighter more comfy, better ventalated and quiter then an hjc...

On the track I dont really care about that...just saving my melon

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Isn't it the foam insert inside the helmet what protects the head from trauma? If this is the case - how different is this component across manufacturers?

I saw this article, thought it was interesting: http://www.jorbins.com/travel-guide-...le-helmets.php

I can tell you that the HJC is a very comfortable helmet, it's just very noisy inside. From other HJC owners I gather that what distinguishes this vendor from say Arai is largely noise and wind related.

I would imagine that fit is the most important factor in how well the helmet works.

I'd like to try riding with a top end helmet just to see how different it really is.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

I also wear an HJC when racing. I had an Arai for years and although I think it's a superior helmet in comfort and style. But safety should be the same for both. I trust that the Snell rating is genuine and the HJC and Arai both have it. And at $130.00, I can crash all day and not go broke.

Originally posted by Ken C
    I also wear an HJC when racing. I had an Arai for years and although I think it's a superior helmet in comfort and style. But safety should be the same for both. I trust that the Snell rating is genuine and the HJC and Arai both have it. And at $130.00, I can crash all day and not go broke.
    Exactly. The difference is in ventiliation. Arai typically offers more and better. The latest Snell and DOT rating are what your after. The price difference may be due to some better venting, but the biggest difference is in branding. The AC series HJC's are great. Ken is one of many, many racers wearing them.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

LOL i guess it depends

Originally posted by Rye
    Exactly. The difference is in ventiliation. Arai typically offers more and better. The latest Snell and DOT rating are what your after. The price difference may be due to some better venting, but the biggest difference is in branding. The AC series HJC's are great. Ken is one of many, many racers wearing them.
    on what your using it for HUH rye

your never going 2 live it down

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

The HJC is Snell 2000. I have the something-or-other 14, and the ventilation is actually pretty good considering the price. I wear HJC's because it IS Snell 2000 approved (the latest Snell testing)...

BTW-Arai's don't fit me worth a shit...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Originally posted by Rye
    I crash tested mine! Yes it did crack but my head was/is fine....I think!!

Collision Pros Racing

Originally posted by Stoneman

BTW-Arai's don't fit me worth a shit...

Thats cos you have a melon like a burst mattress

eat me

Originally posted by zombie
    Thats cos you have a melon like a burst mattress

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?