Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NH Inspection Question

NH Inspection Question

Hey all,
    Long time since I've really been around, life, almost death, etc, etc.

I acquired a slight basket case of a SV650 last spring, finally got it to the point where I can ride it, and being the responsible person I pretend to be, decided to run it over for an Inspection Sticker at Best Cycle in Nashua. I called before I got close and verified they would be able to the inspection if I got there by 4:30. I was there before 4.

Walk in, ask about the inspection, guy 1 starts paper work, guy 2 starts mumbling about needing a new book. Guy 1 checks in the bike, Guy 2 is still grumbling about something. Give them the mileage on the bike and the key. Guy 2 goes out, hops on the bike, and rides it into the "inspection area". He's wiggling the handlebars at slow speed, and generally not doing things I've ever seen done at an inspection.

A few minutes go by as I'm shooting the sh!t with Guy 1, wander the scarcely populated show room, etc. Guy 2 comes back and I make a joke about this part (waiting for the results) being the most nerve racking. He looks over at me and says "It failed".

I'm a little shocked because, while I haven't done much safety wise (brakes, tires, etc), it all appeared okay to me. So I ask him what failed. He starts asking questions about if I've had the bike long, if I knew the previous owners. He then says "Because the tires look like they were on the track, they fail". States something about how track tires become like ice on the street and he doesn't consider them safe after the track. I start asking questions about why they're failing, lack of tread depth, other physical components failing, etc, etc. He looks at me and says "Forget it, I'm not going to even charge you, take the bike and go" At this point, Guy 1 starts spouting that it's Guy 2's name on the sticker and if he doesn't feel something is safe, he can fail it.

So, after that long winded story, my questions:
    - Has anyone (in NH) ever been failed at Inspection for having track used tires on their motorcycle?
    - Does anyone know if (in NH) the "Tech" has the option of failing based on his opinion?
    - Does anyone know who the Guy 2 is at Best Cycle (broken English, beard, bald-ish head)? Does he have a reputation of being a putz?
    - While it didn't cost me any money (thankfully), if I'm correct and they're trying to make me spend money I don't have to, who (in NH) can I file a complaint with about this?

Thanks!

Follow up Question :
    Any one know of a non-douchecanoe shop in the Nashua/Manchester area that isn't going to pull this crap?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by noxin; 05-13-17 at 07:00 PM.

Re: NH Inspection Question

Wow...

07 S4RS

That sounds suspicious... Just because a tire was used on the track doesn't make it unsafe, or fail it per NHSI regs, as long as it's a DOT tire in good condition. Some of the regulations a leave a bit to the tech's opinion, but usually they should provide a reason other than "They're unsafe." I'll show somebody the reason their vehicle fails, be it car, or motorcycle.

The good news being that if he didn't charge you, it means the bike probably wasn't run through the State Machine tagging it as "Failed." Which means if another tech doesn't agree, he can put a sticker on for you. While it still sucks, it sounds like you're really only out the time it took to go there.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Follow up Question :
    Any one know of a non-douchecanoe shop in the Nashua/Manchester area that isn't going to pull this crap?

Lifer

That's hysterical. I got a sticker last year on an SV wearing Pirelli DOT slicks off my race bike.

Best Cycle fucking blows. I wouldn't go in there to take a piss. I have a number of bad experiences with them.
    Your story sounds EXACTLY like the kind of crap they used to pull when I dealt with them. I bought a new bike from them in '01 and it was a bad experience from the moment they took my deposit.

I used to get my bike inspected at a little general auto repair place near where I worked at the corner of Lake and Pine in Nashua. Family place, all spoke french. Treated me very well. Unsure if they are even still in business.

Seriously, avoid Best Cycle. Had problems with both the sales and service departments. Ford side of the shop was equally shitty with the sales, but remarkably okay for service. I had warranty service done on a truck there several times and couldn't believe how decent the Ford service guys were compared to the rest of that shit-show.

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Technically I think the inspector can fail the bike for any reason they see fit.

I've heard of some inspectors that will fail a bike for something that isn't required to pass inspection (by law).

That's not my area of the state so I can't really help, but the justification for failure is just silly.

Look at the bright side: you got ice tires!

Best Cycle Center - Motorcycle Repair - Yelp

What about:
    1. RJ's/RPM Motorcycle Services
    421 Amherst StNashua, NH 03063
    (603) 595-8534

Last edited by Garandman; 05-14-17 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Inspection Law
    Saf-C 3204.02 Application. Except as provided by RSA 261:103-a, IX:

(a) An applicant for an inspection station shall submit a completed form RDMV 705 (rev. 12/15) to the department;

(b) An applicant shall sign and date the form, and in doing so, shall agree to the following: “In consideration of our appointment as an Official Station, I, on behalf of all the owners, partners and officers listed as part of this application, do hereby agree to be familiar with, and abide by, all applicable statutes and inspection rules, to carefully inspect every motor vehicle presented for inspection; to make required adjustments and repairs when duly authorized by the owner at regular charges for such service and to use no unfair means in soliciting such work; to conduct the business in accordance with the inspection rules and regulations and to issue inspection stickers for motor vehicles only after testing them and finding them to be in passing, safe operating condition and in compliance with applicable statutes. Further, I certify that we will issue inspection stickers to those vehicles which meet the requirements as applicable, and will not require the unnecessary replacement of parts. I further understand that a violation of any of the rules and regulations issued by the Director, Division of Motor Vehicles, will be deemed sufficient cause for an administrative hearing and penalties may be imposed.”
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Inspection Law
    PART Saf-C 3234 MOTORCYCLE WHEELS AND TIRES

Saf-C 3234.01 Tire Pressure. Tire pressure shall be checked with an air pressure gauge and a motorcycle shall be rejected if inflation pressures are below the manufacturer’s specifications.

Source. (See Revision Notes at Chapter Heading Saf-C 3200) #8915, eff 6-22-07, EXPIRED: 6-22-15

New. #10886, INTERIM, eff 7-16-15, EXPIRES: 1-12-16; ss by #11016, eff 1-6-16

Saf-C 3234.02 Cord Exposure. A motorcycle shall be rejected if any tire has a worn spot that exposes the cord through the tread.

Source. (See Revision Notes at Chapter Heading Saf-C 3200) #8915, eff 6-22-07, EXPIRED: 6-22-15

Saf-C 3234.03 Fabric Breaks, Cuts and Blowout Repairs.

(a) A motorcycle shall be rejected if a tire has:

(1) A fabric break;

(2) A cut, break or weather crack which is:

a. In excess of one inch in any direction as measured on the outside of the tire; or

b. Deep enough to reach the body cords;

(3) Temporary repairs made with blowout patches or boots;

(4) Any bumps, bulges or knots related to separation or partial failure of the tire structure;

(5) Any portion of the ply or cord structure exposed through the tread; or

(6) A portion of the tread completely worn, which is of sufficient size to affect the traction and stopping ability of the tire.

Saf-C 3234.04 Tread Depth.

(a) A tread depth measuring gauge shall be used to measure tread depth. Readings shall be taken in the major tread groove nearest to the center of the tire at 2 points along the circumference of the tire, not closer than 15 inches.

(b) If a tire has the tread design running across the tire or is a siped tire, readings shall be taken at or near the center of the tire at 2 points along the circumference of the tire, not closer than 15 inches.

(c) Pursuant to RSA 266:51, a motorcycle shall be rejected if the tread depth is less than 2/32 inch at both points where tread depth measurements were made.

Saf-C 3234.05 Regrooved Tires. Pursuant to RSA 266:47, a motorcycle shall be rejected if it is equipped with one or more regrooved tires.

Saf-C 3234.06 Wheels. A motorcycle shall be rejected if any portion of the wheel is bent, cracked, rewelded, damaged, has any loose or broken spokes or any other defect that affects the safe operation of the motorcycle.

Saf-C 3234.07 Tire Width. A motorcycle shall be rejected if not equipped with proper fenders to prevent the throw of, spray, or splash of water, dirt or other matter. Tires shall not extend beyond fender lines.

If it's not for any of the above, the inspection station cannot fail your tires. Report them for trying to force unnecessary parts sales. If a few people file reports they'll get a visit from the state police, and possibly loose their inspection license. In Maine that means you can't be a new/used vehicle seller...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Look at the bright side: you got ice tires!

Best Cycle Center - Motorcycle Repair - Yelp

What about:
    1. RJ's/RPM Motorcycle Services
    421 Amherst StNashua, NH 03063
    (603) 595-8534
    I've been there before, and in general they were okay. But they fucked up the oil drain on one of the bikes (Stripped it) and didn't mention it until I asked what the helicoil was on the bill. I understand shit happens, but at least tell me about it up front.

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

Give MOMS a visit in Manchester.

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

I forgot they were up there. Depending on weather, I'll see if I can make up there on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by noxin View Post
    Follow up Question :
    RJs Motorsports Nashua.

Go see Kyle at KT Cycles in Hudson. He's a reasonable guy and never gives unnecessary crap. On Christine Drive, off Robinson Rd. right near Hudson Speedway.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
    - Oscar Wilde

I've been getting my inspections at Hudson Cycle Center in Hudson, NH for the past few years. Haven't had any issues.

So, I ended up swapping new rubber on since I had intended to do so anyways (bought the tires before I bought the bike) and replaced front and rear brakes. It was an adventure, but I did get the wheels off/on the bike myself and it looks mostly solid (HA!).

Went to hudson cycle center, a few minutes for the guy to check everything out and give me a sticker.

The VFR once failed an inspection (in Maine) because of the brand of the exhaust (Erion Racing). As in, the guy told me it failed "because the muffler is a race muffler; the brand has racing in the name".

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Not to detract from the humor, I believe the Maine inspection law states that only OEM mufflers are allowed.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Not to detract from the humor, I believe the Maine inspection law states that only OEM mufflers are allowed.
    Not accurate, the statute says you can't modify the exhaust system such that it's louder than how it shipped from the factory. It doesn't require the original OEM setup or EPA tagging, etc, just that the new setup isn't any louder than OEM. All other vehicle types are given a 95db exemption, so a replacement system on a car for example can be louder than stock as long as it doesn't exceed 95db using the test procedure spelled out in the law. Motorcycles don't get that exemption, but most inspection places are using that as the test method instead of playing the 'well how loud exactly was stock on this bike?' game.

Also note the law references the state's legal definition of muffler which states a series of baffles and chambers which is where the 'yardstick' rule comes into play. If someone can poke a stick down into your exhaust, you'll likely fail inspection / garner a citation if someone's being a hard ass.

Title 29-A, SS1912: Mufflers

Last edited by Kurlon; 07-16-17 at 11:20 AM.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

as a licensed nh motorcycle inspector, thats bullshit. its a bullshit reason. BUT, as mentioned an inspector can fail for any reason they see fit. typically thats not good practice though.
    i fail people for things that may be borderline but i give a good reason for it (flashing brake lights is one, modified exhaust is another), or at a good enough reason that i can back it up with an interpretation of the law. a perfectly legal tire is not one of those reasons. at least they didnt charge you.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports