Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

NH Inspection Requirements

Re: NH Inspection Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Like kurlon said, its my right to not put a sticker on your bike for any reason I want.
    If that's the case, what's the purpose of having inspection criteria and laws governing what is or is not acceptable if an inspector can arbitrarily fail a vehicle because of what they feel?

I hope you don't take their money when you fail them for a legal accessory.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I dont take money unless it passes.
    The state insp guidelines are just that...guidelines. the guidelines are vague on most subjects.
    I thought there was something in there about the headlight modulators. Ive talked to a NH state trooper about the modulators and he informed us that in the end, we dont have to sticker anything we are comfortable stickering. He also noted that he doesnt like them either.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I realize their intent and maybe they work, but I could see them working adversely just as offten they are effective. Someone could interpret it as someone flashing their lights to allow them to pull out.
    I hate seeing them behind me, I find them extremely distracting.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I realize their intent and maybe they work, but I could see them working adversely just as offten they are effective. Someone could interpret it as someone flashing their lights to allow them to pull out.
    I hate seeing them behind me, I find them extremely distracting.
    the also incite road rage

one ride I went on, the lead rider had a headlamp modulator and a high kelvin (bluish) bulb

cars were pulling over and after we went past, they would speed up and tailgate

never again will I ride in a group where anyone runs a modulator

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Well at least I've gotten confirmation from this thread that inspections are a pointless waste of time and money. I'll continue to not get my bike inspected for the 3rd year in a row.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 06-10-14 at 09:35 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Do what you like. But be aware that NH Staties WILL ticket for an uninspected vehicle and threaten to tow. AMHIK

Never been pulled over by a trooper in a car. Only time I ever got pulled for inspection was by a statie on a bike.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Never been pulled over by a trooper in a car. Only time I ever got pulled for inspection was by a statie on a bike.
    If you ever travel through my area, they love pulling people over for lack of inspection.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

I get my inspections done at my dealer. The mechanic that works on my bike is extremely thorough, knowledgeable, and competent. Regardless of the state's requirements, I very much value his input; his inspections have helped a lot in getting/keeping my bike in good running shape for the long term. If the inspection requirements were repealed, I would still have him do one once in a while (maybe not every year, but every 2 years during my main scheduled maintenance).

I agree that inspections just for the sake of the state are useless at best. Some inspectors will pass just about anything. Others (as documented in this very thread) are inclined to fail bikes arbitrarily, for reasons that are not delineated in the inspection requirements, based on what he "dislikes". Neither of those types are helpful.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 06-10-14 at 11:33 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

i pass lots of questionable things and warn the owners accordingly. license plate frames and covers, for example, are not allowed (frames are but they cant cover anything).
    i dont like headlight modulators, thats it. i feel it mimics an emergency vehicle and is therefor illegal.
    luckily i havent had to turn anyone away for it yet. apparently my customers think they are dumb as well.

Lifer

Mental note, remove plate frame before visiting you.

Here and I was worried about shit like the tread in my tires, brake pads, and condition of my fork seals.

thats obvious stuff.
    plate frames are legal as long as you can read everything on the plate. goes for cars as well.

From the car side, and I'm sure it would cross to bikes, an inspector will get in more trouble for failing cars that pass then passing cars that fail. This is to protect people from being scammed by an inspector. Passing could be a mistake/ over looked. Failing, you did that on purpose to generate work. The head light thing may be a bit grey.

Most things are not arbitrary. Brakes, tires, ball joints in some cases, window tint they all have measurable numbers/specs.

The ones I hated an liked failing were those stupid "Alteza" tail lights and the completely clear tail lights and turn signals(front and rear). I don't see them around anymore. Fad or just because the were illegal and scrubbed out not sure but I'm glad they're gone. Oh the Blue head lights too, not the HIDs but the painted blue bulbs.

State inspections are important. I've seen some scary cars and that are only being fixed because they have to. If one of those thing loses brakes or a ball joint behind you you'll wish someone had fail it.

and for the brake pad thing on the first page. When you've looked at enough pads you can eye ball pretty damn close.

Last edited by timmyho414; 06-10-14 at 03:24 PM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

In Maine, for Motorcycles anyways, failing a passing bike isn't a big deal, passing a failing bike can get you big fines.

In NH the trooper I've talked to are pretty admitted about it. I heard of one guy with a chevy pick up which is allowed some play in it's ball joints was failed for play. Guy tells the Staties and they went down to the shop and had words. Guy got his sticker, inspector got in trouble.

I guess the only thing I really want to say is if you are failed for something and you think it should have passed call the States. People who wrongly fail things(thieves and hacks) give mechanics a bad name.

For what is worth I with SVRacer on the flashing headlights. More harm then good. If you want it changed write your Reps.

Last edited by timmyho414; 06-10-14 at 03:40 PM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    For what is worth I with SVRacer on the flashing headlights. More harm then good. If you want it changed write your Reps.
    Flashing lights other than blinkers and hazards are illegal on non-emergency vehicles. Modulated headlights on a motorcycle are not. The federal performance spec is clear that the light cannot be turned completely off at any time which would make it a flashing light. Its output can't go any lower than a specific percentage of its max output (somewhere around 20%).

I know the people you are calling thieves and hacks are the ones who fail people on purpose in order to generate repair work but failing someone due to naivete of the law doesn't help the mechanics' cause either.

That said, I don't use a modulator but they don't bother me either.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    Why in the world would I call my rep to make something that is clearly federally legal and not overruled by the state more legal?

I'm not a huge fan of them. The fact that I don't like them doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to use them. I know a number of people who aren't fans of sports bikes. That doesn't mean sports bikes shouldn't pass inspection.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I did not mean to make them illegal, I mean to clarify that they are legal. If, I meant IF it came with it is clearly legal.

by the way I only meat call the Staties it you already tried to work it out the the shop.

Last edited by timmyho414; 06-10-14 at 09:24 PM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Lifer

I'm a firm believer that the absence of a law explicitly stating something is not legal makes it legal. No law is required to make something legally acceptable. It is intrinsically legal, until explicitly stated otherwise.

Repealing the law making pot illegal would.. make it legal.

As for the responsibility of the inspection agent in all this. My uncle is an independant mechanic. Moved back up this way from Florida (where they don't bother with inspections) and had to go to Concord to get certified. DMV cops there scared the bejezus out of him that he could be found responsible-personally so-if he passes something marginal. Uncle is usually not one to .. um .. deal kindly with authority!?! So his respect for this stood out.

IIRC DMV cops are different from staties. So maybe there's a disconnect there.

Anyway. My one 4" mirror is legit. I won't bother to put the awful stockers back on just to get my sticker.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

So, more questions on inspection. I recently acquired a 2004 XR250R that was plated and has a sticker good till the end of this month. I just registered it today, but I am not sure about inspection. It has a headlight (no hi or low beam...just on), has a tail light and brake light (only works with the rear brake), no plate light, one small round mirror, one squeeze bulb bicycle horn, and no turn signals. Do I need to find someone "special" to get a sticker, or is this all i need for a plated dirt bike?

2018 Aprilia Touno Factory
    2018 Ducati Desert Sled
    2017 Honda Grom (lot's of Mods)
    2016 KTM 300 XC-W, 2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter
    So, more questions on inspection. I recently acquired a 2004 XR250R that was plated and has a sticker good till the end of this month. I just registered it today, but I am not sure about inspection. It has a headlight (no hi or low beam...just on), has a tail light and brake light (only works with the rear brake), no plate light, one small round mirror, one squeeze bulb bicycle horn, and no turn signals. Do I need to find someone "special" to get a sticker, or is this all i need for a plated dirt bike?
    Sounds ok.
    by the letter of the law you have to be able to operate the horn without removing your hand from the bar.
    Thats about it. For trail bikes, in general, if it didnt come with it you dont need it to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm a firm believer that the absence of a law explicitly stating something is not legal makes it legal. No law is required to make something legally acceptable. It is intrinsically legal, until explicitly stated otherwise.
    100% with you on that. No mention of ABS light in the law, just brake warning. ABS light on you're good. I've argue with guy at work about it though.

I went back and reread the thread, look like the head light ARE legal.

As for the responsibility of the inspection agent in all this. My uncle is an independant mechanic. Moved back up this way from Florida (where they don't bother with inspections) and had to go to Concord to get certified. DMV cops there scared the bejezus out of him that he could be found responsible-personally so-if he passes something marginal. Uncle is usually not one to .. um .. deal kindly with authority!?! So his respect for this stood out.
    When you inspect a car the is a space to put note in the computer. If I passed a car with 2/32 pad left, I'd make a note about it. Then in 6 month when they crash into something they'll see my note and I'm covered.

IIRC DMV cops are different from staties. So maybe there's a disconnect there.
    Staties do the inspection test. Recently they have hired not LEO to do some the testing. We have host the mass testing at my work a few times in the past few years. Some real Staties some hired testers. You should see all the guys with modified cars freak out when all the cops are looking at their cars and have no idea why the cops are really there.

Then there are DOT's. I'm not sure what they do. I think there more into the big trucks. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by timmyho414; 06-10-14 at 09:44 PM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Lifer

Who staffs the DMVs? I know guys with badges-who are not staties-administer the dumb little parking lot motorcycle "road test". Seen them working the counter once or twice. I once had my eyes tested by one at the station in Merrimack.

I thought there were Dept of Motor Vehicle cops, who were different than State Police (Dept of Safety), who were different than highway (Dept of Trans/DOT).

Why on this subject. Why in the fuck is it 2/32nds of an inch for tread and pads. Can't we reduce fractions and just call it 1/16th? ... That's annoyed me since driver's ed.

Would this pass?

NH Inspection Requirements-uploadfromtaptalk1402455576213-jpg

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Lifer

Depends on who you ask.. and how scratched the wheels are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast