Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Nh salvage title question

Nh salvage title question

I have a 2004 fz1 that was bumped into and totaled out due to its age and miles on the bike. It basically had one broken fairing and some scratched plastics.

I am from Maine originally and the bike was registered there and inspected, upon moving to nh I switched registrations from Maine to nh without any problem.

Today I recieved a letter in the mail from the department of safety stating that the bike should not have been registered in nh without doing a safety inspection on it first which requires an insurance report, and receipts for items damaged.

Why do I need to go through an inspection if the vehicle was from a different state and has already been titled and ok'd for the road?

I don't have an adjusters report, I believe I can just submit pictures of the damage but they still want recipes for the work preformed, which I don't have as I purchased a used fairing offline and that's all that needed replacing.

Am I going to have an issue with this? Looking at the bike shows that there is very clearly no damage other then small scratches on the bike. Are they reasonable while doing an inspection? I am quite frustrated with this procedure as the bike was legal in Maine like this....and I registered it in nh without them giving me any problems.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Nh salvage title question

I'm guessing that NH requires the safety inspection because it has a salvage title. In ME a salvage title doesn't mean the vehicle has been ok'd for the road, it just means it's been totaled out so from NH's perspective it could still be an unsafe roach for all they know.

This is why I live in MA. We got teams of assholes where their entire job is to fuck up situations like this and then all contradict eachother. Then whole other teams of assholes to straighten it out, it will only cost you 3 easy payments of 19.95

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I just am hoping they are reasonable and can see by my pictures that the bike was not damaged nd actually looking at it shows its safe without a bunch or recipes for work I never did......I'll continue to ride it though.

Most states require an inspection and receipts for a bike with a salvage from another state. That's one reason why salvage title bikes are so cheap: selling the bike out of state is a lot harder.

I looked at a bike in Maine with a salvage title, and the guy had gotten it inspected through the "Good Old Boy" network and didn't have any receipts. I would have been screwed if I'd bought it, as MA would have required a real inspection and real receipts. Caveat.

Some of you who rank on Massachusetts have never done business in another state. Some of the other state agencies we deal with make Mass look like All-Stars.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-23-13 at 07:05 PM.

I just never gave any thought to it being as I owned it in Maine and never had a problem there with it....when I moved this never occurred to me.

You basically need a NH inspection station to sign a 'waiver' that simply states the bike meets all requirements. It's pretty fookin' simple, really. You show 'em the repairs, they run it through the typical inspection, have 'em sign a note. In fact, when street titling dirt bikes I even write my own little approval letter and just have them sign it. I bring that to the town hall & I'm done with it...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    You basically need a NH inspection station to sign a 'waiver' that simply states the bike meets all requirements. It's pretty fookin' simple, really. You show 'em the repairs, they run it through the typical inspection, have 'em sign a note. In fact, when street titling dirt bikes I even write my own little approval letter and just have them sign it. I bring that to the town hall & I'm done with it...
    That's what I was looking to hear, thank you. In the letter they sent me I need to go to a designated safety inspection place on a certain date. Sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by gtbensley View Post
    That's what I was looking to hear, thank you. In the letter they sent me I need to go to a designated safety inspection place on a certain date. Sound right?
    Even better! They made the appointment for you? Are they sending you to Concord?

Well no, they gave me a list of all the locations I can go to and dates they are open as well as a complex diagram of what I need to bring. If I don't have recites for work they won't inspect it they say. Nh is supposed to be live free or die. What is this b.s.

Yes, keeping the roads safe for everyone is such an infingement. Just tell 'em YOU did all the work yourself, thus no receipts...

No one has ever created their own receipts indicating that they actually purchased the required parts to fix their bike.

Just so you're clear on that.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ill call them tomorrow and see what I can find out. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    No one has ever created their own receipts indicating that they actually purchased the required parts to fix their bike.

Just so you're clear on that.
    Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

Quote Originally Posted by gtbensley View Post
    Well no, they gave me a list of all the locations I can go to and dates they are open as well as a complex diagram of what I need to bring. If I don't have recites for work they won't inspect it they say. Nh is supposed to be live free or die. What is this b.s.
    The days when every rusty POS car that couldn't pass inspection in any other New England state are LONG gone. Just about the time they removed the Taiwanese flag from in front of the state house.

NH voted for Obama.

They most likely won't bust your balls at the inspection, just bring a few "receipts" and explain you did the work yourself.

Like I said they say, nothing stops a party barge.

97' Ducati 900SS - Sometimes runs

Going to Nashua tomorrow to have it done. Anyone see a reason why I can't drive the bike to the inspection? The letter never stated to stop operation of the vehicle and its registered and has a valid nh state inspection on it currently.