Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ninja 250 motor vs. clutch grenade?

Ninja 250 motor vs. clutch grenade?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mcy/4070580081.html

This kid is having a tough day. Anyone care to send him a more expert opinion than I could?

-Jared

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Re: Ninja 250 motor vs. clutch grenade?

Paging dr Clayton

He has a bad case of blew his fucking bike up.

He's got an affliction, and the only cure is a new motor.

- - - Updated - - -

Broken valve/rocker/cam bearing cap.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Over rev. Motor is toast.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Kapooyah that thing is blown up sir.

Sounds a lot like what happen to mine a few weeks ago (not from downshifting, but probably from hitting the rev limiter too often while racing). I just replaced the motor with one from EBay (actually, max salvage in Raymond, NH!) and I'm planning on investigating further this winter. I suspect I'll find something like Clayton suggested.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

aww, flagged for removal

Good lookin' out, guys. I got a first message over to him before he got flagged (again), so if he gets back to me I'll give him the sad news. At least it's a cheap motor.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Lifer

He posted the same thing yesterday. Someone emailed it to me. Was removed by the middle of the night. Quoted below.

He posted again this morning, including in the title "Don't flag for removal asshole" or something to that affect. I feel bad for him, because he's having one hell of a bad day. But at the same time... posting questions in the for sale section? I tried to write him an email reply... and it was removed again by the time I clicked send.

I was thinking valve float, causing valve interference with the piston. Any takers?
    This on Wednesday i was riding my ninja 250 and when I downshifted not realizing what gear I was in i hit redline pretty hard all of a sudden I heard a snap/banging noise followed by a sudden loss of throttle control my Rpms dropped and my speed would not go over 5k Rpms in any gear while holding the throttle the bike would make sounds like pebbles in a can whirling around then it died on me. Me not knowing the issue and trying to get to work i fired it back up but same response this time i made it 30 feet and it cut out again i cannot start it now it make a noise like its bad plugs so i replaced them and it still won't start, when i drained my oil there were little small metal shavings not big just flakes .. I hope i didnt kill my motor .. Any ideas it just sounds like scratching when trying to push start not a dead battery click very different any ideas? Anyone?

I've been told it could be That i blew my clutch completely but would that cause it to not even start ? Any ideas help would be nice and if someone would like to make a little cash to diagnose the problem that would be great.

Please someone get back to me

Last edited by aldend123; 09-16-13 at 02:18 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

I downshifted not realizing what gear I was in i hit redline pretty hard all of a sudden I heard a snap/banging noise followed by a sudden loss of throttle control

it make a noise like its bad plugs so i replaced them and it still won't start

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    I downshifted not realizing what gear I was in i hit redline pretty hard all of a sudden
    Ninja 250 motor vs. clutch grenade?-8238939_0293a25f6e_b-jpg

wait, why do we feel bad for this kid?

he gone f'd up his bike due to rider error...when you start hearing pebbles in the engine, it's not a cheap/easy fix anymore. he should've bought an automatic honda civic to commute in

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    wait, why do we feel bad for this kid?

he gone f'd up his bike due to rider error...when you start hearing pebbles in the engine, it's not a cheap/easy fix anymore. he should've bought an automatic honda civic to commute in
    You're saying you've never let the clutch out after coasting towards a turn on the street and been surprised what gear you were in? I bet you haven't in a while.... but when you were new? It's easy. Especially on a bike that you have to wind out till it cries to feel anything.

He fucked up and had a shitty day. Sounds like a newer rider. So ya, I feel bad for them. They obviously have no clue that pebbles in the engine guarnetees worst case scenario. But I have mixed feelings. Posting in the FS section? No. Worse, getting flagged, reposting, and writing that you were pissed they flagged you? Offensensive.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by aldend123; 09-17-13 at 12:13 AM.
    nedirtriders.com

ya...but the moment I felt it I'd clutch again to prevent engine damage...no sympathy.

plus CL guys are cheaper than I am - one guy posted that he had issues with his XR200R where it wasn't moving quickly, and was looking for someone to fix it. I had one, so when I emailed him and said "does the engine speed accelerate, but the bike doesn't move?"...he said "yeah! that's exactly it!"...so I told him to try adjusting his cable, then try sanding his steel plates, but if all that didn't work, buy new plates. He said "oh golly, thanks, but how much does a new clutch cost?"...thinking I was better at google than him, I looked up the options from OEM->aftermarket, and sent him links for clutch parts...I think it would've cost him $50. He stopped responding to my emails, and a week later re-posts his craigslist ad BEGGING for someone to fix his bike. I emailed him again asking if my advice helped, but he ignored me. It then occurred to me that he didn't just want someone to fix his bike, he wanted it done for free! Even with the knowledge of the problem, and the direction to the solution of needing new friction/steel plates, he didn't want to do any of the work nor spend any of the money. So at that point in time, I gave up...sometimes CL people are a little unrealistic about how much help they can get on CL.