Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Ninja 500r 2005 as track bike

Re: Ninja 500r 2005 as track bike

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Lets put it this way:

There is a woman, she has most excellent venge and bobs. However, her face looks like your brother and she has enough hair on her back to weave a throw rug.

This woman, she is an EX500.
    OMG DEAD

I get you Iglu...at this point the purchase price is the major redeeming quality. No upgrades, just oil/tires/brake/chain/sprockets (although I want a -1 next set of sprockets)

@matt - this will bey primary use as well. Commuter daily, errands/beach runs daily, occasional spirited canyon runs/bike nights/hooligan rides in the 2-3 times per month. Maybe track days next year....contrary to what my thread title is

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-20-19 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Lets put it this way:

There is a woman, she has most excellent venge and bobs. However, her face looks like your brother and she has enough hair on her back to weave a throw rug.

This woman, she is an EX500.
    Wait, so if she's as hot as you say, what point are you trying to make?

So confused.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Wait, so if she's as hot as you say, what point are you trying to make?

So confused.
    If Clayton ever dies unexpectedly, he will not have to worry weather or not someone wipes his computer, no one will want to see his browser cache...

if you guys leave NESR, I am leaving NESR...this is what I am here for

But man, I dunno if it’s because it has a smaller profile, lower headlight, not loud enough or doesn’t look like a cop, but nobody sees you when lane splitting on the freeway. They will literally cut in front of you half a car length away....the Vstrom was the best, the FZR and Busa were aight, and the Africa Twin sucked.

Also gearing wise - I am on the fence about changing it now. I think Kawasaki pretty much nailed it. Sufficient spread of it’s power at most freeway speeds.

Lifer

YOU owned an Africa Twin?!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    YOU owned an Africa Twin?!
    Dude you know he rented it

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

My chain will need replacing soon, so i decided to try a week on a -1 front sprocket on the chain that’s almost done before getting a new full set.

It wakes her up a bit! And I can clutch wheelies way easier

But the freeway is a wee bit over revved. I am in the 8k “powerband” a little earlier than I was before...and zinging around SoCal freeways, I get into 8k+ pretty often. I almost had it pegged at redline once making a pass.

I figured you guys pegged it all day at the track - am I destroying the thing riding 7.5k to 8.5k on the freeway for extended periods? Or is the motor indifferent?

If the motor can handle it, I will go -1 for the next chain sprocket set, if it’s going to burn oil, overheat, and explode, I will go back to stock.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-26-19 at 11:26 AM.

beautiful weather for memorial day!

had coffee by 7:30am in laguna beach, then did a coastal ride up PCH to long beach - everyone was out!

20 mins in, I had a pack of 4 other bikes that eventually connected with me splitting to the front of each traffic light

I did a wheelie in front of the pack, and a float pin must have fallen out

bike idles at 3k while warm, then eventually starts to sputter and drips gas out of the overflow tube

had to keep it pinned to keep it from dripping, but I made it home. time to pull it off and fix that...no more wheelies! oh yeah, and I started out at 46mpg, and somehow managed a terrible 38mpg. this should be a 50-55mpg bike! need to set that float, clean the carbs again, air up the tires, and see if it helps

edit: chain/sprockets
    -stock is 16/41 = 0.390 - aight, but dull
    -the -1 is 15/41 = 0.365 - FUN! but a wee bit over revved at 8,000+ on freeway
    -a +2 rear is 16/42 = 0.372 - should be just right!

I think that's going to be my happy medium - I heard going up in the back is better than going down on the front for chain wear n tear (not that a +2 is much different)

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-27-19 at 04:45 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Been using to commute, run to Home Depot, get breakfast, coffee on the beach, meet notary/real estate work, and it’s been great! I can bomb around exit ramps l, although I have felt the front start to wash on painted lines. I need to get farther forward on it and weigh it down.

Pulled off the carbs Monday and cleaned her out so it doesn’t leak gas with the high idle anymore. Even headed over to the stunt spot and had a go at clutched 1st year whoolies...not that fun. the XR100 and XR650L are still my favorite wheelie bikes tho.

The more I think about an ex500 ADV bike, the more I realize I need a CB500x

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-29-19 at 12:50 PM.

alrighhtttt

went with driven sprockets w' an RK GXW series chain (this is a combo a previous mechanic suggested and said lasts awhile)

23,879 miles

recent tires, fresh chain and sprockets, top case, should be good for awhile!

Still want some LED lights on the front mirrors for hi-viz, an LED strip for a bright license plate light, a flashing 2nd brake/tail light mounted on the top case. Then it should be good until the next oil/tire change!

EDIT: rode down to the beach with 3 wax fire logs in the top case, beach chair over the shoulder, water bottle, and tacos. had a blast! you can park for free on Pacific Coast Highway, so the bike squeezed in right on the end of the row next to the trail that led you do the beach. Getting back home requires you to take windy, wide roads through a woodsy kinda area in 45-55mph zones. since it's after 9pm, typical southern orange county - all residential upper middle class homes, so the roads are relatively empty. These empty windy roads would have boring in a truck, but super fun on a bike! southern california kind of sucks in that it takes 34 mins to travel the 20 miles to the beach. not a problem on 2 wheels!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-05-19 at 02:05 AM.

If you track it stop by N G12 where all the ex live.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    If you track it stop by N G12 where all the ex live.
    If he's coming all the way from Cali to track it at NHMS he had better be visiting more than the EX Mafia!

yeah, I forgot to post for all the stuff I've been doing

basically, I ride it almost daily...it's been extremely versatile, and I enjoy having a dedicated street bike that is engineered for top end power vs. having the vstrom that felt like vacuum cleaner midrange power. I take it to work (and store gear in the top case), zing to the beach, go to bike nights, do real estate home depot runs, go to stunt spots, coastal cruises at the beach, pickup rent checks, meet potential renters at the properties, etc.

+2 is perfect. just a little extra pickup without being over revved on the freeway like the -1

first day in the canyons - took ortega to meet up with some friends, and the short wheelbase, mellow power, narrow tires were just so easy and fun in the turns.

although the +2 has been perfect for mostly road riding, it proved not enough passing on long/open stretches. I had to try twice to pass a newish durango (?) and when he accelerated, I wasn't able to overtake him. I definitely thought twice and went one car at a time in the windier parts because I was worried I didn't have enough power to pass in time. The way back was a night run that we did at a mellow 25-35mph, and I enjoyed it..bike does fine just chilling. Headlights also weren't that bad since the canyons are narrow, and having a flood type beam pattern lights up the sides.

+2 on the front or back?

Remember, gearing changes don't change available HP, just changes what gear it's most usable in. Use the lever on the left foot!

I always prefer to have plenty of revs available with higher gearing to slog on the highway at lower RPMs. You can still drop a gear or to when it's time to boogie.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

+2 in the rear...but compared to the Vstrom, I felt like this actuallly make more power at 8k plus...the Vstrom felt very much "shift to accelerate, top gear to maintain speed"

but did another twisties/canyon day today...and man do I suck. it's 2006 again, and I'm a daily commuter that thinks I'm the fastest guy on the road, and I absolutely shred exit ramps. the other 2 dudes just absolutely took off...and the random guy on the 250 was hanging with them! I was a good 2-3 mins behind at each major stop.

I was trying to remember what I may have learned from a TTD or twist of the wrist video...ughh...I need to do a school/track day.

also, after jamming at 7-11k rpm for an hour down hill, the bike would idle at 3k rpm until it cooled down a bit...the front brake lever also started to get "crunchy". needs some tuning up...

Last edited by breakdirt916; 06-27-19 at 01:56 AM.

oh that was the last post?

man...too much riding, can't post to keep up

anyways, I ride it 4-5 times/week, runs great, fun to ride. bike nights, commute to work, ride to the beach, ride to rental properties, meet up with friends, night ride the canyons, etc. etc.

it REALLY MAKES SOCAL SMALLER.

honestly, driving through traffic/parking is a chore...having a street bike changes A LOT.

however...this is orignally a $500 seat, and it's in like new condition

he'll take $150 for it

blowing out the budget on this bike...but I do ride this quite a bit and would like to do some touring rides during that golden time of the year that the desert temps are not too hot or too cold

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-13-19 at 01:37 PM.

If you bought that Corbin, you’d lose your top case. And you’ll probably want luggage if you do any touring on it. I guess you could keep the stock seat with topcase for around town/commuting/lanesplitting. Then use the Corbin with soft saddlebags for any longer trips. I remember my old EX500 fit good sized soft saddlebags pretty well.

I caved

I bought the renntech rack for roughly $175...I am on my 2nd of 3 flights within a month and having the passenger seat for a small luggage/backpack (and carry on messenger bag in the top case) means I can always ride/park at the airport and never pay for parking. For these 3 trips alone, I save over $200 in parking. Lastly: I haven’t surfed in months because driving the bulky truck is tedious and tough to park. I miss having a rack to make a surf rack to...Ninja will become a surf bike too.

Just had the fleabay forks cleaned/new oil/new seals, and new pads front and rear. Just need new rotors, the rack/Corbin seat put on, cruise control, and the bike is ready for touring in September/October. Got a 250ish mile ride Sunday to Palomar/Julian/San Diego desert.

Once these tires wear out next year, it’s going to be a track day year

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-04-19 at 05:07 PM.

as summer ends & the broiler shuts off, touring season begins

300+ mile today

4 sets of twisties, meadows/pastures/desert/mountains/pie/mexican food, and friendship

the long, uphill mountain passes, I wish I had more power, but otherwise bike was more than enough

just had new front rear pads/rotors/lines bled...so I'm pretty much done with maintenance until my next tire change

my butt started getting sore at the 200ish mile mark, but standing helped. I added ibuprofen and no help...I will hopefully get my corbin for the next time. can I somehow add highway pegs?

even rode out near Alex's/Jen's house! (A13x)

next touring dates:
    -Oct 5th/6th around Vegas (MAYBE)
    -Oct 19th/20th - one day dirt, one day street
    -Nov 2nd/3rd - one day dirt, one day street

After that I get too cold and would prefer to wait until Spring for more long rides. Definitely want to ride up the coast, local mountains (Los Angeles, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Los Padres, San Gorgonio), do a stateline/Vegas run, AZ, Sierras, CO, and hopefully UT to name a few

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-09-19 at 12:16 PM.

Hey Breakdirt, clear out your PM's so I can message you please. Apparently you've exceeded your allotment lol. I'm moving to Long Beach.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I now own another EX500 racebike.

What to do.... what to do....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

You require constant supervision........

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

why .... or how cheap did you get it

but to answer your question: just put good tires on it

I finally got the rentech rack installed:

super light, felt well constructed, 2 bolts on the passenger grab bar location, 2 clamps on the frame, and done. I even rode to the airport today w' backpack/luggage combo bag. When I got the airport, the helmet, jacket, knee guards, gloves, and vest stash into the top case. I just wear the Dainese RR boots under sweat pants round trip. Then the rest of my riding gear is available for the ride home when I get back...the central/structure lot is $40/day ($200 saved)! I saved 45 mins+ lane splitting, no need to budget time for a shuttle from the economy parking lot, and over 44mpg vs. the 13mpg on my truck. This is my hot setup for quick trips to see the folks.

Now to install the corbin seat, some sort of cruise control, some jig for highway pegs, a phone charger, and should be good for longer rides...next year - good tires, then track days.

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-19-19 at 12:36 AM.

You've been hanging out with Heider too much...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast