Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Obnoxious Car Passing do or not

I pass more then most and try to get through life having fun without necessarily pissing off everyone else.

However there are cars who hate being passed so whenever you do it they will hate you. When a bike is behind my truck I wave him by. Often discovering he/she is slower then my truck.. oh well. Many will be annoyed by being startled (me too) but life has its rubs.

Note : All passing is followed by the cheerful royal wave.

so...

If I close on a car already doing 20 mph faster and the road has some room I just go by at the same speed. A lot of bikes feel obligated to ride his bumper for at least a minute before going by.

I am ready to pass...

When at the end of a no pass zone (curves) or when there is oncoming traffic. Be ready to be in your bikes power rev range. A lot of times this is down 2 gears. Lay back about 3 car lengths.

I am always surprised how often I observe 3/4 of a straight passing zone being consumed by either forgetting what your doing, indecision, or getting ready. Finally the pass is performed almost where there is no longer room.

As soon as you see some room nail it and pull out. If your bike is loud hopefully you can get the speed up before your along side. Cruise by without a lot of noise at your higher speed reducing the startle factor.

BUT Pass decisively don't ride alongside leisurely it just increases every ones danger.

Lastly leave time and room for anybody following... If there is someone behind you keep going fast till your 2 or 3 car lengths ahead then pull in so those behind can also pull in.

If your following a passer you are responsible for yourself. You should observe the passers style before your up their buts. Often when a leader passes politely the car will pull over and let you by so life is easy give extra cheerful waves. If the guy in front of you does what you think is dangerous then just wait till the pass is complete and adequate room for you appears. If this is repeated every time then maybe you are not compatible riders. No need to decide who is a maniac or a slug.... just different.

If your the leader of a middling group then try to be conscious of your route. Everyone bikes and cars alike will be crazy after the struggle to pass only to have you make a turn a mile later with the car still insight.

Multi car passing ...2 or 3 can be treated as one just be careful if it is a long legal pass zone that one of the following cars may pull out of its own. See it is sometimes safer to pass on the double yellow.

If it is a parade with like 8 cars following buses or segways or worse harleys then everyone should just loop them 1 or 2 at a time. I have often found that the long suffering cars behind the parade leader will almost cheer you on.

End of essay oh I almost forgot always do your best wheelie passing in towns with street fairs.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Glen Beck is John the Baptist

And always be on the lookout for blond girls driving VWs in Vermont while tailgating large campers. They like to try and run you over.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

+1 i do not nunderstand why some riders will ride the bumper of a car then decide 3 miles down the road...I can see why that ticks them off...it is very distrating having that bright ass headlight in your mirrors....i think the best thing is to hang back until you can go past then pass...and then be gone...do NOT hit the brakes.. I was following a guy last year who made a questionable pass then nailed the brakes for a corner...that is a big no no...the we passed a coupke more cars and he puled over to chat so all the people we "had" to get around could drive by us..lol one of the first times I actually spoke to a fellow rider about the way they were riding...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

I Dance With Will

not riding bumpers but just being paranoid about running into cops when passing in place like MA.

oh and "pass decisively..." on one wheel.

"fuckit!"

Littering and........

I'm all for passing slower cagers, but I try to be very reasonable about it. If you get in the habit of passing lots of them at a clip, passing them closely, etc., it is more than likely that one of them will call the police, and you will then have a LEO waiting for you up the road.

Lifer

I love blondes.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

I used the "keep the same clip and proceed as you were" method several times on 122 a few weeks ago. Coming through the curves at a good pace, make it out onto a straight with 2-3 cars ahead, no traffic anywhere, guardrails on both sides, just apply a little extra throttle, and motor by in the opposite lane as if they werent even there.

Personally, I'll wave any bike by in my cage that comes up on me. I had a cruiser and a sport bike close on me at maybe 5mph faster than I was doing on Rt. 2 last week, and I think they were actually startled when I stuck my hand out the sunroof, gave them the "go by", put on my directional and gave them room to go by, even though it was a dead straight and no oncoming traffic. Because like those guys said, they probably would have rode my bumper for 2 miles before deciding to pass for absolutely no reason.

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

Originally posted by hessogood
    I love blondes.
    Ha.
    Strippers rule.

Originally posted by trickphoto
    Ha.
    Strippers rule.
    +1!!

02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

Someone shit on the coats PatSV650's Avatar

Hey Rich...

I know, but, Hey Rich, whatever happened to Greg/Numnuts? I haven't exactly had a bike that could keep up with you two since I had to get rid of the SV.

Back on topic: Last pass I tried to make, my alternator rotor failed mid-pass, which blew the main fuse, leaving me in the HOV divider in the dark w/ no lights and 75 mph traffic on either side

ibanezfourstring from that other
    site
    my blog

'79 CB750 K (crash victim)
    '82 CB750 F Supersport (project: done! )
    "What is it about driving cars that makes you all such assh*les?!"

"I could have said "YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY A VEHICLE!! " but instead, it came out more like a concerned moan " Dane Cook

Greg's still great he went to Vt with me last month

Don't ride in the dark

Sorry hope your finances get you back on the road with a reliable ride

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Someone shit on the coats PatSV650's Avatar

Originally posted by richw
    Greg's still great he went to Vt with me last month

Don't ride in the dark

Sorry hope your finances get you back on the road with a reliable ride
    Well, except for this one hiccup, she's been good to me.

ibanezfourstring from that other
    site
    my blog

'79 CB750 K (crash victim)
    '82 CB750 F Supersport (project: done! )
    "What is it about driving cars that makes you all such assh*les?!"

"I could have said "YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY A VEHICLE!! " but instead, it came out more like a concerned moan " Dane Cook

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    And always be on the lookout for blond girls driving VWs in Vermont while tailgating large campers. They like to try and run you over.
    In her defense, there was only room for 2 bikes in between her and the RV in front of her. Then there were 5. I woulda been pissed too.

I wait till there is room. Group ride mentality isn't the best when trying to pass one car that is already stuck behind another.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport