Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Another nice bike we'll probably never get

Another nice bike we'll probably never get

Yamaha just announced the XT1200Z Super Ténéré.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/24feb...tannounced.htm

I want one. Shame they'll probably never sell it in the US.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

Re: Another nice bike we'll probably never get

Yeah, saw this news - must admit I really like the design.
    Here's hoping

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Brings back memories of the TDM850 they had back in the '90's

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Brings back memories of the TDM850 they had back in the '90's
    Oh, you mean the one that they've kept selling in Europe ever since, and updated to a 900?

I've never understood why Americans ignore bikes like the TDM.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Oh, you mean the one that they've kept selling in Europe ever since, and updated to a 900?

--mark

its easy to ignore what we never get to see.

funny thing is the BMW GS has been extremely well received in the US but the Japanese don't seem to want to bring over their competitive versions of it to the States. I really don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    funny thing is the BMW GS has been extremely well received in the US but the Japanese don't seem to want to bring over their competitive versions of it to the States. I really don't get it.

I'm pretty sure it's because they've tried before -- Honda sold the Transalp here in the late '80s, and Yamaha sold the TDM in the early '90s. Neither sold well, so they pulled them off the market here.

But I don't think BMW was selling too many GSes here either at the time. It took time for the adventure bike market to develop in the US, but now it's actually doing pretty well.

Trouble is, the Japanese companies seem to think the market here is still exactly the same as it was 20 years ago. I can't understand why they're apparently so blind to the changes that have taken place.

--mark

I'm pretty sure it's because they've tried before -- Honda sold the Transalp here in the late '80s, and Yamaha sold the TDM in the early '90s. Neither sold well, so they pulled them off the market here.

But I don't think BMW was selling too many GSes here either at the time. It took time for the adventure bike market to develop in the US, but now it's actually doing pretty well.

Trouble is, the Japanese companies seem to think the market here is still exactly the same as it was 20 years ago. I can't understand why they're apparently so blind to the changes that have taken place.

--mark
    of the few owners I've ever heard of owning a Transalp, they loved it. part of the problem I think is that adventure bikes are always so ugly. although I think the GS is a great looking bike and this Yam isn't too bad really, bit funky but I kinda like it.

I like the engine layout...I wish more mfgs produced big-bore parallel twins. If they load 'em up with the newer tech like the big-bang crank this one has, parallel twins would probably be more popular. Low end torque of a V-twin, combined with the top-end rush of an inline, all in a compact package is pretty appealing. Not to mention a cool sound when uncorked, and the big-bang design makes it sound that much better.

Yamaha's claims for the Super Tenere are 108.5 hp and 84.2 lb-ft of torque. Not to shabby, considering the bike's intended purpose. The R1200GS, considered the category standard these days, is rated at 105 hp and 85 lb-ft.

The next couple years could be really interesting for the adventure bike market. Rumors are heating up of a Triumph offroader that's been spotted testing near the Hinckley factory, complete with a 21" front wheel and lots of ground clearance. Sounds like they may be taking aim at the F800GS... which would be awesome.

--mark

The next couple years could be really interesting for the adventure bike market. Rumors are heating up of a Triumph offroader that's been spotted testing near the Hinckley factory, complete with a 21" front wheel and lots of ground clearance. Sounds like they may be taking aim at the F800GS... which would be awesome.

--mark
    I hope so, theres not much to chose from out there. I was looking into the duel sport bikes but just about the only thing that cought my eye was the BMW F800GS. Not the price tag though.
    Is the funnest part about riding my Motard, being able to turn down the trails off the road. Made me want to sell the R1 for something thats like my KTM, but will last a bit longer motor wise.

IDK, Parallel twins don't really have the advantages of either layout IMO. Neither torquey, nor revy, they just buzz a lot.

The tenere has been out for a while in other places. I remember seeing that design several years ago with maybe an 8 or 900?

The adventure market is still a niche here. I'm sure the japanese are watching the numbers and will jump in when the volume allows big profits.

Paul_E_D

I'd buy one. It'd be my car.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    IDK, Parallel twins don't really have the advantages of either layout IMO. Neither torquey, nor revy, they just buzz a lot.
    Tell that to my Triumph. It's both torquey and revvy and doesn't buzz much at all.

As for the Ténéré, you're probably thinking of the existing XT660 version (660 single):

--mark

That thing is badass!

Add another Yamaha to the list...for now.

The Fazer8

Do not hold your breath.

Adventure tourers don't sell here. As evidence that Suzuki has already dropped the V-Strom 1000 from the line up 2 years ago.

Anyone want a deal on a left over DL1000 by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Adventure tourers don't sell here.
    Not what I've heard. The dual-sport/adventure bike market was one of the only ones to show any growth in the last few years. The R1200GS is BMW's best-selling bike. The F800GS has been selling well too.

And the V-Strom 1000 is still listed on Suzuki's website as a 2009 model (just like every other bike). It's not a hot seller, but that's partially because most V-Strom buyers opt for the 650, which Suzuki apparently hasn't had any trouble selling. When I was considering buying a V-Strom in late '07/early '08, the 650 was hard to find because they weren't sticking around on the sales floors for very long. I waited for the '08s to come in and put down a deposit on the first one Cyclewise got. The other two '08s they got in sold very quickly thereafter. The past year has been rough, yes, but it's been rough across the board. ADV bikes still seem to be doing quite a bit better in general than, say, sportbikes.

That said, I'm not holding my breath for the Yamaha to make it over here. But it would be nice if it did.

--mark

And in today's big news...

Yamaha Announces New 2011 Star Stryker and Availability in U.S. Market of Super Tenere and FZ8

Yamaha is bringing the [Super Tenere] to the U.S. for the 2011 model year through a “Priority Delivery Program” at Yamaha dealerships beginning in September. To get one, you will have to place a $500 deposit with your dealer, and expect delivery of the bike beginning in May of 2011. The starting U.S. MSRP will be $13,900, and the bike will be available in blue.

--mark
    I don't ignore them, know all about the various crank/firing changes over the years, have a model of one on my desk and a 650R in the driveway, parallel twin. Next will be an F800 Beemer if the money is right, parallel twin, or a Triumph Street or Speed Triple if it is not.

I love the unconventional when it works
    YouTube- tdm850

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post

The tenere has been out for a while in other places. I remember seeing that design several years ago with maybe an 8 or 900?

The adventure market is still a niche here. I'm sure the japanese are watching the numbers and will jump in when the volume allows big profits.
    Ummm.... that's not true. My 650R will eat an SV in the midrange on the highway all day and it's smooth as hell. It's also fractionally quicker in the quarter but not off the line. The BMW F800 is sneaky quick all around, a great engine. It's all about the midrange, which is where I do most of my riding.