Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Officer dies while pursuing motorcycle

Havn't seen this posted yet, happened out by Syracuse NY

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/...sp?ArID=176874

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/...33&ArID=176783

Yet another reason why police chases endanger the public and should be called off much sooner.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Damn, that really sucks. RIP, thanks to the biker for giving us all a great name.

Yet another reason why police chases endanger the public and should be called off much sooner.
    RIP

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

10 years ago when I was a NY resident staties were supposed to disengage at 100 even on a highway

well RIP

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Lifer

The bike should not have been running from him and he should not have been chasing it. They were both just asking for something bad to happen to them.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

and the staties wife is expecting in a month, why's it always gotta be that way?

Lifer

Wonder how many years in jail this guy will get...

You seriously gotta wonder why he thought it was a good idea to pursue a sportbike with an SUV though.... sounds like the crash was definitely a result of him driving over his ability and the SUVs ability.

Originally posted by hessogood
    The bike should not have been running from him and he should not have been chasing it. They were both just asking for something bad to happen to them.
    Not always the case. Maybe he was on a spirited ride and didnt know he was being pursued. I have been chased twice without knowing it. Once I got away cause after I was taking my helmet off in driveway I saw the cop drive by my house and not look up my driveway. He ended up asking my neighbors if they saw where I went and they didnt turn me in. The other time I was juicing it on my favorite road, after it straightened out, I looked in my mirror and saw him 1/2 mile back with his lights on. When I stopped he asked why I was running, I told him, I didnt see ya back there.

Bruce

Originally posted by bigred875
    Police chases are stupid. He could have just as easily struck another car and killed someone else. By chasing the biker the biker could have died or struck someone else. I fail to see how a high speed pursuit is ever a goog idea?

I feel for the officer and especially his wife. Like I said, it didn't need to happen.

Anyone traveling by bike in that area this summer would be wise to be travelling 5 under and look like a saftey nazi.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

This happened somewhere else fairly recently, and the motorcyclist got thrown in jail for a long time. Unfortunately, I don't have the link.

If the guy on the bike knew he was being chased, I can't see how he's not somewhat responsible. Whether or not you agree the cop should or shouldn't have chased a bike at high speed, he was still just doing his job.

Running from the police(for no reason) is just plain stupid anyway. Suck it up and take the ticket.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Originally posted by mycirus
    When I stopped he asked why I was running, I told him, I didnt see ya back there.
    +1

My mirrors give me a decent view of my elbows... that's about it. If I don't hear the siren over the V-Twin/race pipe noise, I'll never know he's there. Not to say this is a good thing. I'm constantly checking my 6, but it's possible to be chased without running at all. A sprited pace in twisties on a sportbike is equal to "bat out of Hell" speeds in an SUV. (100mph is a bit beyond "spirited," though).

I hope the reporter has more info than they gave in the story, which claims that the motorcyclist "lured a trooper into a deadly crash."
    Obviously I wasn't there, but that smells a lot like typical media dramamonger BS.

No matter how you slice it it's a tragedy for the trooper and his family. RIP.

People I ride with don't run from the police. It's just dumb. Be a man and take the ticket.

RIP, from me also. I wish his family to be able to cope as best as they can. In the town I used to live in, the townies had to break off a chase if the speed was above 55 mph. They had some sort of computer in the trunk that would graph all the speeds the officer did on his shift. I think they even had routes included. If the officer exceeded the speed limit anywhere without proper justification, he would face some sort of reprimand. I had one officer I knew, explain this and show me the trunk unit.

biker responsible for speeding? yes
    responsible for the cop killing himself? nope, that's part of the risk he took when he went into pursuit

edit: that's just my opinion. i'm sure they'll nail the guy for some serious bullshit aside from speeding/evading police or whatever.

Lifer

Originally posted by bump909
    responsible for the cop killing himself? nope, that's part of the risk he took when he went into pursuit
    +1

biker responsible for speeding, reckless operation, driving to endanger, reckless conduct (felony level), amongst many many other charges. Any form of murder/involentary manslaughter certainly not. I'd bet on two years in jail depending on his record and if there was proof that he was aware of the cop chasing him.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

A terrible story and a tragedy

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Was it the kid from FLA who the FLA trooper crashed and died on I - 4 outside of Orlando.

Going from memory here.......
    -Suf Daddy

Originally posted by slaps76
    This happened somewhere else fairly recently, and the motorcyclist got thrown in jail for a long time. Unfortunately, I don't have the link.

Suf Daddy.

I'm not sure if it was Orlando. I think the cop was in a Camaro, blew a tire when pursuing, and crashed.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I Dance With Will

cops are suppose to be smarter than average bikers. should not be using by all means necessary to take out speeding bikers.

"I only hope that the cycle can be broken:
    (riders fearing cops, riders "avoiding" cops on the road, cops getting angry/aggressive, people getting hurt, cops out for revenge/vendetta, creating fear)"

"fuckit!"

That is where I grew up riding. The roads are perfect for going fast ...i.e. good condition, low population, sweepers, tight twisties and little traffic. Unfortunately it is getting popular for spirited riding and has attracted the attention of the police.

I feel for the officers wife and soon to be child. Hopefully both the riders and the police in the area take heed and mellow out a bit. '

I can only hope none of my friends are responsible for this terrible tragedy.

RIP.

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Lifer

Yah the previous case was in Florida.

One of the things in that case though was Florida seems to have a HUGE squid problem, they had passed special laws to cover the situation due to the extreme # of cases of sportbikes running from the police.

I Dance With Will

Originally posted by bump909

kind of hard to believe. i had this thought for awhile but we're wrong on this. it kind of depends on who started it.

"fuckit!"

Originally posted by benVFR
    Yah the previous case was in Florida.

One of the things in that case though was Florida seems to have a HUGE squid problem, they had passed special laws to cover the situation due to the extreme # of cases of sportbikes running from the police.
    Seriously. I've been to Orlando probably at least 5 times since last October, and there were TONS of squids on the road. It's actually pretty comical. Old sportbikes all blinged out, packs of them riding down the highway doing wheelies wearing t-shirts and shorts. That's a shitty area to ride though. A lot of awful drivers and just flat, straight roads.

-Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Lifer

I don't know what is up with those guys, if I lived in Florida I highly doubt I would care about motorcycles, bicycles, and maybe even sports car.

Hello PWC and/or boat. And lots more scantily clad girls hanging around at the beach.

Lifer

It's a shame the officer was killed. My sympathies go out to his family. And yes, the rider that tried to evade him should get the book thrown at him for his traffic violations - but IMO the rider is in no way responsible for the police officer crashing...

The police officer was in an SUV - not a vehicle designed for high speed driving (Esuvee commercials). At any point during the chase the officer could have backed off - I'm having a hard time seeing how he was lured into the chase and lost the ability to give up at any point...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Found the other case. First one is a brief article, second goes more into detail.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...GNEWS/51019001

http://www.pursuitwatch.org/stories/FHP_haywood.htm

-Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast