Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

oil cooler, ?, Work Well?

oil cooler, ?, Work Well?

Hey all,

eBay Motors: 18" ALUMINUM TRANSMISSION COOLER DUAL PASS (item 260244060332 end time May-31-08 20:24:27 PDT)

^
    question about that. I have a standard radiator style oil cooler on my bike now (2004 suzuki bandit 1200).
    But on the top of the header, where it is now, isn't much room for aftermarket options. With the TURBO project almost complete, all i need is some oil lines... Been thinking of mounting this on the bottom of the bike, along the frame rail.

Does anyone know if these work as well as the radiator style coolers?
    Thanks.
    ~Kevin.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: oil cooler, ?, Work Well?

I would think that it's not nearly as efficient as a traditional style core. Your stock oil cooler has MUCH more surface area through which to discharge heat.

On top of that... I just noticed that it's 1.5' long! Where the fuck are you going to mount that on a Bandit?

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit12k View Post
    With the TURBO project almost complete, all i need is some oil lines... Been thinking of mounting this on the bottom of the bike, along the frame rail.

Kevin/Bandit12k,

I don't know if you are familiar with DAS Performance on Bridge St. in Dracut or not but the owner of that shop Eric Paquette is an invaluable resource when it comes to turboing bikes. He has built numerous turbo bikes of similar vintage to your Bandit and maybe he can be of some assistance to you with your questions about oil coolers etc. Figured I'd throw it out there.

Joel

Well, the plan was to run it longitudinally on the bottom frame rail of the bike. Bandit's have the tubular steel frames, not the cast aluminum ones. So, i have two frame rails on the bottom of the bike that go front to back. The stock exhaust and collector went down there before, and right in the front of the engine is where the oil outlets for the cooler go and come.

So, i figured just put the oil cooler there. I'm real nifty w/ fabrication Wait till i upload more pics of the turbo project.

And thanks Joel, i'll look into him, and see about some dyno tuning and carb tuning. I have it 80% figured out, but just need some butt dyno and digital info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit12k View Post
    I'm real nifty w/ fabrication Wait till i upload more pics of the turbo project.
    Upload pics already!

Hey there,

always nice to hear about someone modifying there stuff (cars or whatever) If you have to come all the way to MA to get your bike tuned and want to know about turbo options, check out DentSport.com These guys are heavy into racing and really good at what they do. I have known AL and Bill since college days, many moons ago. They are the type of guys that will tell you exactly what is wrong and won't try to screw you.

Al is Bimmubishi on galantvr4.org, go to the good guys section and check out his rating.

They recently did a hill climb at ascutney and bill got flown out to oregon to crew for a rally. They all ride bikes and have an 4 wheel dyno. The guy there matt tuned my standalone for my galant, and the car pulls great.

I am rambling, but the part you are looking at does look like it is machined well and could do the job. I just see alot of people are knowledgable with motors and then want to get into turbos and wind up frying something.

tell Al that carl had you ask for them.

I am new to this group, but I have been with the car guys for years.