Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

oil debate on SBN

I Dance With Will

oil debate on SBN

i thought i bring it over here. im wondering any of you use regular full synthetic car oil such as mobile 1 or gastro? cause people are being call dumbass for spending $10 plus/qt for bike oil.

any thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "fuckit!"

Everybody to the limit!

Oldie but goodie...

Beware of synthetic oil, it can do terrible things to you and your beloved motorcycle. It will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action. Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract automatically, dropping your bike on the ground! But that's not all... Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. It will Also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off in the apex of a turn and she'll never ride with you again. Synthetic oil coats Your sight window and your timing window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak onto the ground overnight and your dog will drink it and die. Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full leathers on and then jam your zippers shut. It will contaminate your gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. It will make it rain during rallies and on weekends. It will lubricate four timing belts causing them to jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every six miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots night before you walk across your new carpeting. While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp, and then it voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555. It also dries out your wetclutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your clutch slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good measure. Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your faceshield and make your gloves shrink two sizes night before trackday. Synthetic oil stole your neutral and sold it to the Chinese for $1.25. Synthetic oil will make you grow a tail

oil debate on SBN

you are dumbass if you spend $10 + /qt , heck your dumbass if you spend more than $1.68/qt and change it per mfg schedule,
    oil is oil, run recommended viscosity and specification , change per mfg recomendations, no more, no less, youll be fine.

I hear the "cheap insurance" arguement all the time, but what does it insure..... only that you will loose more money from your wallet modern oils, even the cheapest , exceed the bike mfg's specs

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I Dance With Will

oil debate on SBN

some are saying if the grades and viscosity are the same then it should be fine. well saving 50% is even finer.

"fuckit!"

Lifer

oil debate on SBN

I agree it is fine if you want to use expensive oil but it is so retarded to argue about oil over and over again like it really matters. (This is a sensitive spot, the people on the VFR mailing list are totally retarded about it and basically argued all winter about it so I unsubscribed)

Half the people arguing about oil change their oil 3x as often as the manufacturer recommends and then ignore 1/2 the other recommended maintenance on the bike.

And then almost everyone totals or trades their bike long before the engine has any wear...

Don't lose any sleep over your oil.. go for a ride instead.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

oil debate on SBN

You people are all stupid. Only I know about oil.

Seriously, if you want to ride the bike forever, like smooth shifting and hate spending money on oil, use Mobil 1 15W 50 auto oil and change it when the shifting gets notchy (6000 miles for me).

I Dance With Will

oil debate on SBN

i knew it someone here is doing it.

if i have an old bike and didn't care much about i wouldn't want to spend $10/qt. i would go with cheap ulternative.

Ben, you unsubscribe because people argue about oil? dont' they have other things to argue about?

"fuckit!"

Lifer

oil debate on SBN

No it's like imagine if Mystery Squid always argued the same exact topic every time he tried to get a rise out of us.

Arguing about 100 different things 1 time each can be pretty amusing, arguing about 1 thing 100 times is just really freakin stupid.

oil debate on SBN

Oil debates are on every board. Each of us should do what we want to do. I happen to use a full synthetic oil and will never pay $10/quart. I am actually switching to Mobil 1 15w50 for my next oil change. What's in the bike now is Castrol R4 and it is amazing however I lost my connection to get it for $4.99/liter.

Like the stoinkythepig said, change your oil when the shifting gets a little sticky, 4-5k for me last season.

There was a great write up from a guy (ScootR) on the 1000rr board , it is half way down the page.

There's my 2 pennies for ya kwaaakkkkksssss

Jamie

oil debate on SBN

Originally posted by skiierx
    I am actually switching to Mobil 1 15w50 for my next oil change.
    I run full synthetic and I just switched to the 15w50 (gold cap) this weekend because I could not find any red cap Mobil 1. The bike runs nicely with it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up in the really hot weather because the 12R generates a LOT of heat.

Littering and........

oil debate on SBN

You are all retarded. Only I know about oil, and anything you all say is wrong, and your dumb, and I did your sister last night.

Can I join the VFR list now???

Lifer

oil debate on SBN

I'm not argueing about oil....but you must run 110 octane in your streetbike and add some gunpowder to it to make you extra fast. Also, you're gonna want to coat your tires in superglue before everyride because you're going to need the increased traction.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

oil debate on SBN

And if you don't use full synthetic, you will inevitably throw a rod or drop a valve as will be demonstrated by RandyO and his SV.

oil debate on SBN

I run Shell Rotella synthetic, get mine at walmart for like $13/gallon.

Designed for diesel/severe duty engines, works like a champ thus far. Shifting is good, bike feels smooth, etc. I think I am about the 100000th SV rider to use it.

On the SV BB, its a holy war, rotella vs. Mobil 1 vs the world, etc.

I think frequency of oil changes, oil viscoscity vs. ambient/operating temp. and proper warmup of the bike trumps what brand oil you use.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

oil debate on SBN

I drive a diesel. But I don't change the oil.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

I Dance With Will

oil debate on SBN

so that would be 2 that use mobile 1 auto oil full synthetic. im gonna try next time.

$10/qt is rediculous. maybe im going to the wrong dealer?

"fuckit!"

oil debate on SBN

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    You people are all stupid. Only I know about oil.

Seriously, if you want to ride the bike forever, like smooth shifting and hate spending money on oil, use Mobil 1 15W 50 auto oil and change it when the shifting gets notchy (6000 miles for me).
    The shifting on my bike would never get "notchy" because of the age of the oil.

Life is a challenge. You can take the risk and experience it, or sit back and watch it go by. I choose to experience it. (W.L.Heath)

Fear is the incubated subjective perception of the inevitable.

oil debate on SBN

Just don't use the energy conserving synthetic oils

oil debate on SBN

Thanks for the Chuckle after a week in China I neede a hah

I use synthetic and my bike weases and goes through oil like a 2 stroke.

I am looking at something else this year

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

oil debate on SBN

Where in China? Been a few years since I've been there. Don't miss it, not at all.

Just Registered

me too.

Originally posted by ancosta
    I run Shell Rotella synthetic, get mine at walmart for like $13/gallon.
    In my KLR and in my YZ450, no issues whatsoever.

Just did valves on my 03 YZ and everything inside is @ same size and shape it was when made, checked to tenths of mm.

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org