Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Got the ok for a new bike from the wife.

Lifer

Got the ok for a new bike from the wife.

My christmas present from my wife this year is a new bike of my choosing. Only catches are it has to be around 10k and from a dealership. She's tired of me buying second hand from shady people on craigslist.
    Ive kinda already been looking for a bike anyways so i thought i knew what i wanted. I had my eye on an 07 aprilia rsv at motorsports international in auburn. I went there today with the cash and wouldnt you know it i couldnt find a single person to help me. i waited 30 minutes for a salesman to come back from break but he never came. My wife was trying to buy a honda metro scooter on the other side of the dealership and she couldnt get any help either so we left. Now im on the search again. Im not sure i want an aprilia either. Once i looked closely at the one today for about 20 minutes i dont think its the bike for me. It has a huge profile and without a test drive i think thatll put me off.
    So my question is does anyone know of some killer deals at dealerships for a sports bike? Im really liking the daytona 675 and MV augusta 675. Id love a duc or rc8 but they are out of my price range and probably not really practical for me since im not the best on preventative maintence. i found a few r1 left over for cheap but most people tend to hate them so i dont think its right for me.
    There have got to be some dealerships blowing out some nice bikes. Only thing i dont want is a gsxr. I have 3 already and dont want or need another.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Got the ok for a new bike from the wife.

What's to hate about the R1? Cross plane motors put out nice power, more than most of us could ever use.

Friend: man riding this really hurts my balls

Me: Well you're not supposed to sit on your balls!

First, congrats on having an awesome wife

I won't get into what bike is or isn't for you, that is obviously your choice. I will touch a bit on the R1 though, as I had a 2009 which is just about the same as the current leftovers. I've ridden several different brands of bikes, and I can honestly say, the 09 R1 was the best bike I have ever ridden. It may not be the fastest, may not be the lightest, but it was reasonably comfortable for a sportbike, made silky smooth power from idle to redline, handled just as good, if not better than other bikes I've ridden on and off the track, and IMO of course, it has outstanding looks.
    People laugh when I say I liked my 09 R1 better than the Aprilia RSV4 I have now, but the truth is, the R1 just does everything better

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Lifer

See thats the type of things i hear from guys. I even had a thread on it a few weeks back. The problem is when i look at the magazine reviews they kinda bash it. Then when i go to see them at dealers they say the same thing and its there own brand. They seem to readily admit its not really up to par with the other liter bikes. Without being able to test drive i have to take everyones opinion and review and figure it for my person. Im just not sure its the right bike for me. Im also kinda stuck on the exotics right now and thats not helping. If i locked out those the r1 may be my first choice. But the lure of the duc, mv augusta and ktm are hard to beat. They are just a touch out of my price range new but used is very doable.
    What im hoping for is for someone to say they saw this bike here for this crazy price and that may help make up my mind. Im not totally set on any bike so im gonna let the money do the talking. It may give me bike options i wouldnt have thought about before. Im not even sure i want a liter bike.

Lifer

I am willing to sponsor a dinner so that my wife can have a little talk with your wife :-)

Congrats on the approval and I would jump on the opportunity. If you are buying a new bike, they tend to depreciate quickly and I agree that finding a good leftover deal is better than brand new. The Daytona 675 is a great choice, but I suspect the R1 is a more comfortable and usable bike. Yes, there is a 50lbs difference, but unless you are a hard core racer I hardly think that matters. There are some killer deals on R1's out there and there are many dealerships that sell them. If you can find a 2012 leftover Honda CBR1000RR it is an excellent choice as well. Lastly, I would also consider leftover GSXR750.

I agree with the previous post. When you compare excellent bikes, the bottom line becomes personal preference and not a difference of 10lbs in wet weight. WIth a modern 1000 cc bike you have plenty of power no matter how heavy the bike is...My VFR is a superb all around bike with smooth engine, comfortable riding position, refined suspension and brakes, but a wet weight that is 540lbs. It is heavier with the trunk that I carry. But, on a daily basis, I don't notice this weight even when I push it to 80%

Last edited by dankatz; 12-22-12 at 05:55 PM.
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

What about a used 848?

Lifer

Ive been thinking about a used duc but im kinda nervous on the history of those types of bikes. With the more specialized maintence needed its the one type of bike that makes me shy about buying used. Not to mention some of the electrical issues with the earlier ones.
    For the record i can find a new 2011 or 2010 r1 in just about any color for $10k otd. Only exception being the fiat edition for closer to $11k. Ill admit its hard to beat that type of deal. It really is the best deal ive seen or heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    The problem is when i look at the magazine reviews they kinda bash it.
    I know I'm in the minority, but I would never buy a bike based on a magazine review. I simply don't trust them as being honest reviews.

If you're looking for an exotic..or a Duc or Aprilia, try Seacoast sport cycle in NH. Not sure if it's still there, but when I bought my RSV4 a few months ago, they had a nice clean used RSV4 Factory

Yamaha

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but I would never buy a bike based on a magazine review. I simply don't trust them as being honest reviews.

If you're looking for an exotic..or a Duc or Aprilia, try Seacoast sport cycle in NH. Not sure if it's still there, but when I bought my RSV4 a few months ago, they had a nice clean used RSV4 Factory
    well, seacoast offers to pay the first year of the evo corsa. ill have to look into that. It would essentially bring it down to my price range unless theres some financial trickery which there usually is. Im guessing its not the deal its cracked up to be but without the specifics it looks like a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I am willing to sponsor a dinner so that my wife can have a little talk with my wife :-)
    I too find my wife talking to herself, especially when I start in about bikes.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I am in almost the exact same situation - I am ready to buy, under similar circumstances and price range. I am actively shopping now. Yesterday, I was pitched a brand new 2012 V-Strom 1000 Adventure for $9,999. I think I am going to pull the trigger unless something better comes along. Quickly.

Lifer

I was completely surprised about her wanting me to get a new bike. i went to the dealership to get some new boots and she was wandering around and asked if i liked the repsol honda they had and i said ya and she said i can just buy it. Turned out it was a 250 ( very sharp i must say) so not exactly my style but she still said i could have any bike in the place i wanted. Thats when i thought about the aprilia in the corner. I had the money on me thanks to a very generous christmas bonus so it would have been easy. i even got her worked up on the moped. That little honda 50 in red and black is sharp too. Im kinda glad no one helped me there. Id be staring at a used aprilia and new moped now wondering if i made the right choice.
    I will be going to another honda dealership tomorrow or monday to pick up her moped though, just not motorsports inter.

well, seacoast offers to pay the first year of the evo corsa. ill have to look into that. It would essentially bring it down to my price range unless theres some financial trickery which there usually is. Im guessing its not the deal its cracked up to be but without the specifics it looks like a winner.
    I've done similar in the past with vehicles. It wasn't really a "trick" so to say, you either take the specific finance plan, or there is a cash back incentive. You usually don't get the cash back incentive AND the finance plan. My guess is in the end, the numbers will be very close

Yamaha

Lifer

Im thinking if i finance it for 60 months and get the monthly payments up ill just make a payment of $10k the first week i own the bike and let them pay for the next year then just come up with the difference. Im sure it wont work like that but it would be nice if it did.

There are a lot of great choices out there. In the about $10K range, I'd be choosing between the Triumph Street Triple R, the Ducati HyperMotard 796, and the Kawasaki Z1000. All of those were very impressive bikes to ride, and in that price range new.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I think an important question to ask is, what are you going to do with it? Single day street rides, any touring or traveling? Any bike you listed is going to be fun as hell. I haven't owned a bike with clip on's so I'm not much use for recommendations.

Last edited by 01xj; 12-22-12 at 07:08 PM.

Lifer

Its probably gonna be all street. Im going to rebuild my old race bike for track days next year and thats always a fun bike to toss around. I have the rd350 for local trips and all around fun.
    Truthfully i dont even like liter bikes but its easy to find deals on. I think later down the road itll be easier to sell too. Whatever bike i get it will have clipons though. Helps with the choices.

+1 on what these guys said about Seacoast. I have an '04 RSVR I bought there new that I have beat the shit out of, and had nothing but great luck with it. I also picked up a leftover RC8 this spring, great bike so far. I wouldn't worry about the maintenance on either bike, they don't require much more than the Japanese stuff.
    I bought a bike from Second Wind a couple years ago, they were great to deal with and I'm pretty sure they would let you test ride a 675.

V-twin or inline four is the question. Or triple.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    +1 on what these guys said about Seacoast. I have an '04 RSVR I bought there new that I have beat the shit out of, and had nothing but great luck with it. I also picked up a leftover RC8 this spring, great bike so far. I wouldn't worry about the maintenance on either bike, they don't require much more than the Japanese stuff.
    I bought a bike from Second Wind a couple years ago, they were great to deal with and I'm pretty sure they would let you test ride a 675.

V-twin or inline four is the question. Or triple.
    How is the rc8 and how much did it set you back. Ive been trying to get one but the dealers are set on the price and truthfully im not even sure its worth it.

You will have to try other states (NH,CT,RI). There's no decent dealers in central MA and especially motorsports int. my opinion at least.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    You will have to try other states (NH,CT,RI). There's no decent dealers in central MA and especially motorsports int. my opinion at least.
    Ya i work on Long Island so i have plenty of dealers to go by. I have 2 near my work that have leftover R1's for about $10k out the door. Those are probably the best local deals ive found so far. I found a few 2012 Daytona 675r's but those are stuck right at 12-13k.

How is the rc8 and how much did it set you back. Ive been trying to get one but the dealers are set on the price and truthfully im not even sure its worth it.
    The bike was a new 2011, paid $14,500 for it June of this year. I got it at Freedom Cycle, they had one more 2011 last time I was up there. I imagine they would probably take another $1,000 off the price once we're into '13. I'm very happy with the RC8, I've had about 15 bikes since 2000 and this is my favorite to date followed by the RSVR. The KTM is pretty similar to the Aprilia, just lighter with more power. They are both slightly larger and more spread out than the current crop of superbikes, which suits me fine. I tried to beat a couple dealers up on the price of the RC8 and didn't get very far with that. I guess KTM doesn't do much as far as discounts and rebates to the dealers.

I bought my KTM from Rod at Freedom Cycle, and a BMW from Nic at Second Wind. Both salesmen and dealerships were/have been top notch, IMO. FWIW, Freedom carries the four major brands plus KTM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    The bike was a new 2011, paid $14,500 for it June of this year. I got it at Freedom Cycle, they had one more 2011 last time I was up there. I imagine they would probably take another $1,000 off the price once we're into '13. I'm very happy with the RC8, I've had about 15 bikes since 2000 and this is my favorite to date followed by the RSVR. The KTM is pretty similar to the Aprilia, just lighter with more power. They are both slightly larger and more spread out than the current crop of superbikes, which suits me fine. I tried to beat a couple dealers up on the price of the RC8 and didn't get very far with that. I guess KTM doesn't do much as far as discounts and rebates to the dealers.

I bought my KTM from Rod at Freedom Cycle, and a BMW from Nic at Second Wind. Both salesmen and dealerships were/have been top notch, IMO. FWIW, Freedom carries the four major brands plus KTM.
    I tried getting some info about the rc8 about a month ago from freedom but never heard back from them. Ill try them again tomorrow if they are open. Do you know what color it was? Looks like they still have a 2011.

Last edited by boosten lebaron; 12-22-12 at 08:43 PM.

Black and orange, I bought the orange and white one.

A friend has the blk/orange rc8r. It's quite the bike. Not cheap for sure. much better than the mags give it credit for. Always draws a crowd. Really user friendly motor. Still a blk/orange 2012 here in RI but not sure how much they are dealing on them.

2013 ZX6R-636

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast