Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ok, what the fuck is a "throttle body" and why should i care about how big it is?

ok, what the fuck is a "throttle body" and why should i care about how big it is?

The air meter is Not part of the throttle body, it is upstream and is called the Mass airflow sensor.

The throttle plate is hooked up to the cable, AFTER the MAS.
    and the THrottle position sensor is connected to the throttle plate.

Most injectors live after the throttle plate, but are mounted in the throttle body assembly. There are some exceptions on where the injectors live. Shower injectors hang directly above the throttle body, and spray into it, before the throttle plate.

Old type injection or the "batch type" was by way of a fuel distributor, and pump. Diesels still work on this principal today.
    Bosch gasoline systems are like this, they do go into the head, but into the intake runners, and NOT the cylinder, they are more of a "mechanical type" injection system, and not an electronic one, like the systems are today. Randy...look inside that rubber housing, and you will see a disc, on an arm. it moves up and down, and controls how much fuel the engine sees. "Pre computerized as we know it....Injection System"

Where as sequential fuel injection systems, have single injector set on a fuel rail, that are activated by a voltage signal.

Port fuel injection systems are just that, the injectors are placed into the intake runners before the intake valves, and after the throttle plate. Direct injection into the cylinders, is usually meant for diesels.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TLRMan; 12-07-04 at 10:16 PM.

Originally posted by TLRMan
    The air meter is Not part of the throttle body, it is upstream and is called the Mass airflow sensor.

The throttle plate is hooked up to the cable, AFTER the MAS.
    and the THrottle position sensor is connected to the throttle plate.

Most injectors live after the throttle plate, but are mounted in the throttle body assembly. There are some exceptions on where the injectors live. Shower injectors hang directly above the throttle body, and spray into it, before the throttle plate.

Old type injection or the "batch type" was by way of a fuel distributor, and pump. Diesels still work on this principal today.
    Bosch gasoline systems are like this, they do go into the head, but into the intake runners, and NOT the cylinder, they are more of a "mechanical type" injection system, and not an electronic one, like the systems are today. Randy...look inside that rubber housing, and you will see a disc, on an arm. it moves up and down, and controls how much fuel the engine sees. "Pre computerized as we know it....Injection System"

Where as sequential fuel injection systems, have single injector set on a fuel rail, that are activated by a voltage signal.

Port fuel injection systems are just that, the injectors are placed into the intake runners before the intake valves, and after the throttle plate. Direct injection into the cylinders, is usually meant for diesels.
    no shit, I didn't want to get into the detail that you just did..... and you splaned it better than I could...... and there is nothing called a "throttle body" on any parts fiche for my hippy van or bimmer. the "throttle plate" as you call it is within the air flow meter. and YES, its called and AIR FLOW METER... the "mass air sensor" is a different part

but, I wonder why my VW has a computer (I know I've had to replace it) if it's "mechanical" as you say

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I have a little old '89 Chevy P/U with TBI. Can you milk me?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Originally posted by RandyO
    no shit, I didn't want to get into the detail that you just did..... and you splaned it better than I could...... and there is nothing called a "throttle body" on any parts fiche for my hippy van or bimmer. the "throttle plate" as you call it is within the air flow meter. and YES, its called and AIR FLOW METER... the "mass air sensor" is a different part

but, I wonder why my VW has a computer (I know I've had to replace it) if it's "mechanical" as you say
    Different names, same thing.....
    Computer is for ignition side. You do have that octopussy thing in there with the fuel lines coming out of it?

Computer is for ignition side. You do have that octopussy thing in there with the fuel lines coming out of it?
    I believe that is the Bosch Motronic fuel injection setup...commonly used on Audi, VW and Mercedes? (the 1st two for sure).

The fuel injection is fully mechanical but the ignition would be computer driven maybe...?

I had that on a few of my VWs including a 79 Rabbit diesel, 84 GTI, and two VWs I owned and returned to seller due to problems. Too bad one was a calloway turbo conversion

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

they why are there wires coming out of my computer going to the injectors and why does my distrubutor have points?????? (my VW)

I misspoke, my VW is Lamda jetronic..... my bimmer does have a fuel distributor and is k-jettronic.... motronic came out with the E30s my bimmer is an E21

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Originally posted by RandyO
    they why are there wires coming out of my computer going to the injectors and why does my distrubutor have points?????? (my VW)

I misspoke, my VW is Lamda jetronic..... my bimmer does have a fuel distributor and is k-jettronic.... motronic came out with the E30s my bimmer is an E21
    Aaaaaaa Haaaa!
    You were trying to confuse the crap outta me!

Originally posted by Stoneman
    I have a little old '89 Chevy P/U with TBI. Can you milk me?
    Yeah, well i have a 04 gmc with multiport and it has a throttlebody, but you aint gonna see no "air valve" on the parts fish

My bike has a twist grip and i like big boobies

Yamaha

Aaaaaaa Haaaa!
    You were trying to confuse the crap outta me!
    it's the last year they were air cooled, and the FI is not working right, I been thinking of converting to carbs, new intake manifold & carbs is cheaper than repairing the FI.... until then it is a "project" that has been parked in my yards for several years, last year I had it registered was 93, has 275,000 miles (about 90k on current motor rebuild that I did in 90)

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12