Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ok, what the fuck is a "throttle body" and why should i care about how big it is?

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

ok, what the fuck is a "throttle body" and why should i care about how big it is?

see subject line.

educate me,
    -sedition

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

Banned

It's the fuel injection version of a carburettor, and the bigger it is, the more fuel flows through it and the faster the bike goes.

The throttle body is the mechanism where air comes in from the air filter and into the intake manifold.

In an TBI, or throttle body injection setup, the throttle body functions like a carb, as the fuel injectors sit in throttle body, and the air/fuel mix is sent into the manifold.

Today virtually all manufactuers (of cars and bikes) use "port" fuel injection, otherwise called EFI. Air is routed into the intake manifold, where it is mixed with gas via fuel injectors. The atomized mixture is then routed into the combustion chamber to be burned.

Bigger is not better with throttle bodies. They have to be matched according to several factors, including: fuel injector size, pressure regulator & fuel pump rates, intake port length & size, cam size & timing, ignition timing, exhaust flow, head port flow, etc. etc. etc.

All parts of the fuel system should be matched to yeild a stoichiometric (fancy word for 'ideal') air:fuel ratio. For gas engines, the ratio is 14.6 parts air to 1 part gas. This condition will lead the fuel and o2 to be completely consumed, resulting in more efficiency, power and reduced emissions.

In my exerience it's generally best to use a proven combination of parts, usually selected by the manufacturer, aftermarket tuner, or otherwise "wicked smaht" person.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

BINGO:

Motor is a air pump.

More air in means more power out........

Its like breathing through a straw. The bigger the more air you get.

-Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy.

Just Registered

Originally posted by ancosta
    The throttle body is the mechanism where air comes in from the air filter and into the intake manifold.

In an TBI, or throttle body injection setup, the throttle body functions like a carb, as the fuel injectors sit in throttle body, and the air/fuel mix is sent into the manifold.

Today virtually all manufactuers (of cars and bikes) use "port" fuel injection, otherwise called EFI. Air is routed into the intake manifold, where it is mixed with gas via fuel injectors. The atomized mixture is then routed into the combustion chamber to be burned.

Bigger is not better with throttle bodies. They have to be matched according to several factors, including: fuel injector size, pressure regulator & fuel pump rates, intake port length & size, cam size & timing, ignition timing, exhaust flow, head port flow, etc. etc. etc.

All parts of the fuel system should be matched to yeild a stoichiometric (fancy word for 'ideal') air:fuel ratio. For gas engines, the ratio is 14.6 parts air to 1 part gas. This condition will lead the fuel and o2 to be completely consumed, resulting in more efficiency, power and reduced emissions.

In my exerience it's generally best to use a proven combination of parts, usually selected by the manufacturer, aftermarket tuner, or otherwise "wicked smaht" person.

Well said. Kudos!

Everybody to the limit!

You, sir, are no fish

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

or otherwise "wicked smaht" person.
    in this case, that person would be you. thanks for ed-u-ma-cating me.

-chr|s sedition

"Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

ancosta: could you be a bit more specific???

Good descript!!!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

E lectronic F uel I njection

Nozzles at each cylinder are

Multi port fuel injection
    Seperate nozzles just above intakes so no gas wetted down the inside of a manifold so computer give tree hugger gas amount at each firing not the 12 to 1 for max power.

Also you always want the air after leaving the air cleaner to stay moving with inertia so that the thottle bodies one you control and one the computer controls open at a rate the engine can inhale so no "bog"

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Originally posted by Stoneman
    ancosta: could you be a bit more specific???

Good descript!!!
    Sorry got a little rainman with my answer. One of my biggest character defects

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Sorry got a little rainman with my answer. One of my biggest character defects
    Not at all! it would be a flaw I had asked you if you wanted a drink and replied with something that in depth...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

YES, almost all vehicles have EFI (Electronic Fuel INjection) but I'm not sure about the rest of your statement

some vehicles have multi-port fuel injection, some have throttle body injection

on my bimmer I have individual injectors for each cylinder (multi-port) on my winter bomb chevy, it's one injector in a throttle body

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Originally posted by RandyO
    YES, almost all vehicles have EFI (Electronic Fuel INjection) but I'm not sure about the rest of your statement

on my bimmer I have individual injectors for each cylinder (multi-port) on my winter bomb chevy, it's one injector in a throttle body
    I thought that it rolled off in the early 90's. Maybe some of the pushrod motors still used it later than that? I think it would be tough to find a OHC motor using TBI, but that is more of a guess.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

It doesn't matter what type of injection system or carburator it has, it still has a throttle body

Yamaha

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-injection.htm

They 'splain it better than I can

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Originally posted by Degsy
    carburettor
    You spelled that wrong .. Damn Brits

G-man

Gerard

Originally posted by R7
    It doesn't matter what type of injection system or carburator it has, it still has a throttle body
    there's nothing called a throttle body on my old Vanagon or bimmer.... air flow meter? the injectors go right into the head... both have antiquated Bosch K jetronic

RandyO
    IBA#9560

What's your throttle cable hooked to??

Yamaha

Your metamorph catapiller is residing in your manifolds throttle body

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Originally posted by R7
    What's your throttle cable hooked to??
    the air flow meter

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

I think with bikes maybe they are using the terms different?

The throttle body is the housing with the throttle butterfly in it right? It opens with throttle input to allow more air in? Same place where the mass air meter is in a car, but the bike is missing the air flow sensor?

Originally posted by benVFR

The throttle body is the housing with the throttle butterfly in it right? It opens with throttle input to allow more air in?

You sir, are correct You can call it a air meter, air valve, throttle boby or whatever other fancy term each manufacturer wants to call it.

BTW, my bike has a twist grip on it and not a twist throttle

Yamaha

Originally posted by R7
    You sir, are correct You can call it a air meter, air valve, throttle boby or whatever other fancy term each manufacturer wants to call it.

BTW, my bike has a twist grip on it and not a twist throttle
    But my point is I DON"T have throttlebody injection,

RandyO
    IBA#9560

But my point is I DON"T have throttlebody injection,
    I know you don't, you told us that a few posts up
    But it does have a thottle body

Yamaha

Originally posted by R7
    I know you don't, you told us that a few posts up
    But it does have a thottle body
    If you want to call it that, but if you go to a parts store looking for one you won't get one,

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast