Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

ok, another tire question...

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

On closer look, my front tire still looks like it's has some life left in it. I've always purchased pairs of tires before, so is it OK to *only* replace the back tire? And if so, do I need to keep it consistant w/front tire (i.e. same brand / make). or can I get anything for the back that is comprable?

thanks in advance,
    -sedition

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

I ussually go through 2 rear tires for every front. I don't completly understand why that was with my last bike, which was a YZF600 but I do realize why with my twin. Power to the rear tire is much more powerfull and tends to spin up a bit and also puts a lot of force on the rear when under power uspecially coming out of corners.

So yes this is normal especially on a liter bike.
    & Yes stay with the same brand / compound tire. Some brands can be mixed and matched because the compounds are similar, but You would really have to know the tires to be able to know what can be matched up safely. It's easier and much safer to just stick with the same tire untill it's time for a new set.

I say toss the tires completely and get the POWERS!!!!!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

Originally posted by Half Squid
    I say toss the tires completely and get the POWERS!!!!!
    well, yea, see i work in the non-profit sector and have a money-pit habit (no, not cocaine. i dunno which is worse. drugs or bikes). I *could* get 2 new tires, but that might mean I won't be able to afford a trackday...which i REALLY wanna do.

"Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

A question along the same lines....I was at the track last week with Bridgestones BT 010 (2000 miles) and was told this morning by the mechanic that the front was completely shot from the heat at the track and it needs to be replaced. It looked kind of beat up, but I was surprised that 2000 mileas and a track day was all it could take. On the other hand the rear still looked decent....

Originally posted by Manny
    A question along the same lines....I was at the track last week with Bridgestones BT 010 (2000 miles) and was told this morning by the mechanic that the front was completely shot from the heat at the track and it needs to be replaced. It looked kind of beat up, but I was surprised that 2000 mileas and a track day was all it could take. On the other hand the rear still looked decent....
    Wrong air pressure/ too much heat = scolloping tires = bag. Do you feel vibration when you ride/corner now?? If so yip time for a new one. 2K on a front is way low, but with the combination I listed above will reduce tire life significantly... Those 010's are not made for a track day, more of a combination street tire for sport riding and comuting with the dual compound!

So are they worn or are they scolloped?? If they are worn then I am way off base! If they are worn then the tire just can not handle the heat and wore faster than your everyday riding would have!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I never had a BT010 that didn't feather/cup/scallop or whatever you wish to call it. The BT014s are a bit better in this regard but by no means perfect. I have had better luck with Michelins.

Originally posted by Half Squid

So are they worn or are they scolloped?? If they are worn then I am way off base! If they are worn then the tire just can not handle the heat and wore faster than your everyday riding would have!
    You are right on. It wasnt worn, it was scalloped - and was beginning to crack along the natural tread lines. It was certainly the heat, but now that you mention it I think my pressure was a bit too high. For street riding my manual says 36 (front) and I lowered it, but not all the way to 30.

You are right on. It wasnt worn, it was scalloped - and was beginning to crack along the natural tread lines. It was certainly the heat, but now that you mention it I think my pressure was a bit too high. For street riding my manual says 36 (front) and I lowered it, but not all the way to 30.
    lowering the pressure makes it heat up more and scallop

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Re: ok, another tire question...

Originally posted by chr|s sedition
    On closer look, my front tire still looks like it's has some life left in it. I've always purchased pairs of tires before, so is it OK to *only* replace the back tire? And if so, do I need to keep it consistant w/front tire (i.e. same brand / make). or can I get anything for the back that is comprable?

thanks in advance,
    -sedition
    I used to replace just the rear and used 2 rears for every front. The difference in handling with 2 new tires vs 1 new rear and 1 half worn front is pretty big IMO. I'll always replace them in sets now If you have a trackday in mind, tires is not the place to skimp out on if your short on cash...

If you want to replace just the rear, i'd use the same tire that's on there now

Yamaha