Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Olympia Phantom vs. Olympia Stealth (or other textile/mesh suits)

Olympia Phantom vs. Olympia Stealth (or other textile/mesh suits)

I'm looking for suggestions one way or the other on these two textile suits: The Olympia Phantom or the Olympia Stealth. I am open to other textile suit suggestions as well.

This will be used to commute (to work), so don't come in here and suggest a leather suit.

Must be usable for 3 seasons here in New England -- spring, summer and fall.

I'm thinking a mesh suit, because there must be some sort of item I can buy to block wind and use a mesh suit in cooler days of spring/fall, while just using the mesh suit during the summer.

My typical garb to wear to work is khakis, shirt, and tie. Not opposed to changing at work, but I'm not about to wear shorts/t-shirt under something like the Phantom only to have to change everything when I get to work, and again to go home. Sometimes, you just want to slip it on and go.

I know I might be asking a lot...

- HP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Olympia Phantom vs. Olympia Stealth (or other textile/mesh suits)

FWIW- A rain suit over/under mesh is a great wind blocker, in case the suit you go with doesn't have a liner. It's also waterproof (for a while)

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    FWIW- A rain suit over/under mesh is a great wind blocker, in case the suit you go with doesn't have a liner. It's also waterproof (for a while)
    I'm leaning towards the mesh suit because I think I can wear it spring, summer, fall (I don't really ride in the winter). It seems to be more versatile, since I can't punch holes in a textile suit, but I can get a "liner" or as you mentioned, a rain suit, under/over the mesh suit and make it usable for most weather.

I've worn textile jackets up to 90 degree weather with the vents open and as long as I'm moving it's not too bad... but then I'm only wearing a t-shirt under it. I'm looking for a suit to commute in and try to minimize as much "changing" as possible once I get to work.

- HP

I like the gray Phantom best.

Primarily "High Season" use I'd go for the mesh.

I have a Phantom suit I wear a lot early and late season. But for most of the warmer months - May through September - I wear Olympia AirGlide pants and jacket. The Stealth is similar in construction to the AirGlide, but a suit. The Pewter/Neon is a pretty smart combo.

The insulated liners it comes with will hold up to rain well, but are too hot for warm weather. I wear a rainsuit over top instead.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-26-12 at 06:59 PM.

I dress same as you for work and I wear Cortech pants and a 3/4 jacket. Liner comes out for the warmer months and vents get open on the really hot days. The vast majority of days are fairly cool in the morning. I think you overestimate how much hot weather we get up here in NH.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Primarily "High Season" use I'd go for the mesh.

I have a Phantom suit I wear a lot early and late season. But for most of the warmer months - May through September - I wear Olympia AirGlide pants and jacket. The Stealth is similar in construction to the AirGlide, but a suit. The Pewter/Neon is a pretty smart combo.

The insulated liners it comes with will hold up to rain well, but are too hot for warm weather. I wear a rainsuit over top instead.
    I'd be going hi-viz either way... my commute (if not taking backroads) is 495 > 90 > 95 > 9. Enough close calls in my cars, let alone my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I dress same as you for work and I wear Cortech pants and a 3/4 jacket. Liner comes out for the warmer months and vents get open on the really hot days. The vast majority of days are fairly cool in the morning. I think you overestimate how much hot weather we get up here in NH.
    I'm down in MA, but it's not drastically different from, say, southern NH. My concern is more about getting stuck in traffic (a strong possibility given the roads I travel and the summer time...). I've been stuck in traffic in my Miata and felt like it was too damn hot, even w/ the A/C blasting...

Maybe I need to switch my hours around... come in at 6am, leave at 2pm. Problem solved. LOL, I actually do have some latitude...

FWIW, I have 4 jackets (Perf Leather, Textile, 3/4 Textile, Mesh) and a pair of mesh/textile overpants. I'm looking for a "simple" solution -- who knows, maybe a touring suit isn't the way to go.

- HP

Have any of you ever heard of Teiz Motorsports? Someone on another forum suggested this suit: http://store.teizms.com/commute-suit

- HP

Quote Originally Posted by hqp921 View Post
    FWIW, I have 4 jackets (Perf Leather, Textile, 3/4 Textile, Mesh) and a pair of mesh/textile overpants. I'm looking for a "simple" solution -- who knows, maybe a touring suit isn't the way to go.

- HP
    For cool or rainy weather I wear the suit as there are fewer places to leak.

Summerish, I wear a jacket and pants as I find it more convenient. And when it's warm I want it to leak.

When it's really hot and humid, I wear a Vanson Vent Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    When it's really hot and humid, I wear a Vanson Vent Max.
    That's weird, when it's really hot and humid, I just wear board shorts, a tank top and flip flops.

- HP

That's weird, when it's really hot and humid, I just wear board shorts, a tank top and flip flops.

- HP
    I think I've seen you. White/blue Gixxah?

Lifer

Have any of you ever heard of Teiz Motorsports? Someone on another forum suggested this suit: http://store.teizms.com/commute-suit
    Seen them reviewed positively on the V-Strom sites. Never seen one of their suits in person.

I had a pair of Olympia airglide pants in my possession for a few days. I ultimately decided I couldn't get them to fit properly and sent them back; I could not get the knee armor to go high enough for my short legs. And I was definitely going to have to hem them.

That's my big fear with a suit: fit.

- HP
    Sounds to me like you already have the simple solution. Pair up the right jacket with the pants for the weather. Maybe I am too out of it, but how is taking two pieces off that much more difficult than wiggling out of a one-piece? I used to commute in business attire (dress pants, heels which often traveled in my tank bag), blouse, sometimes a sportcoat) - never had a problem, even in the heat of summer, with my textile overpants and textile or mesh jacket depending on the temp.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Honestly I wouldn't look for a jack of all trades when it comes to gear you seam to already have a pretty good collection I would recommend just adding a jacket or pant to your collection that fits in where you need it. Get some mesh over pants and a mesh jacket now. When it gets cooler pick up a cold weather jacket, etc. That way you won't have to worry about being stuck in weather that your not quite prepared for.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    Sounds to me like you already have the simple solution. Pair up the right jacket with the pants for the weather. Maybe I am too out of it, but how is taking two pieces off that much more difficult than wiggling out of a one-piece? I used to commute in business attire (dress pants, heels which often traveled in my tank bag), blouse, sometimes a sportcoat) - never had a problem, even in the heat of summer, with my textile overpants and textile or mesh jacket depending on the temp.
    *shrug*

You guys (girl) are really good about not spending my money, haha.

I dunno, for some reason, the idea of pulling on a suit and taking it off made sense to me. It might not.

Maybe what I really need to come to terms with is, if I ride the motorcycle to work, I'll need to do it on days where I won't need to suit up again to go to off-site meetings, and take the convertible on days that I do.

- HP