Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Paying MSRP for new bike?

Paying MSRP for new bike?

Never went the route of a new bike before but looking at a potential new 890 adv-r tomorrow and want to talk prices.

Anyone buy a bike recently and pay under sticker before? I’m feeling no but I have no experience with this.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Paying MSRP for new bike?

Depends entirely on the model. You might get lucky. I would certainly be looking online at other dealerships to see if they sell them cheaper. Places like new Jersey and long island dealerships tend to sell bikes a bit cheaper due to the nyc commute customer volume.

With the new 890-R in the pipeline for next year, you can probably save a bit on the current model.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I lost count of how many new bikes I have bought, and I have never paid msrp. That said, in the past couple years, I’ve bought a few used bikes because dealers want gold prices for their bikes.
    Motorsports Nation in Plainfield, Ct has been advertising like crazy recently, which indicates the market is about to flip to a buyers market. They are advertising $500-$1500 off on in stock KTM’s

Yamaha

Going into the fall and maybe going into a recession.. I think you have a bit of leverage here

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I've never paid sticker for a brand new vehicle.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

with supply line issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more MSRP or above.
    I had never paid MSRP for a new car until this week. With nothing on the lot and less in-transit Automobile dealerships are not wavering. I did end up at MSRP and one dealer I went to ( that I used to work for and have bought numerous cars at ) was above MSRP on everything.
    I would do my homework and shop around.

*NOTE I haven't bought a brand new motorcycle since 2006

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

When the fs450 came out, you were lucky to find a dealer that had one, so paid full on that. Then last year, all the 2022 ktm dirt bikes seem to be selling out everywhere by August, September, so paid msrp on a new 250.

As has been said, I think the market is getting a little soft, but supply issues and importing is still a little tough.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Ive only bought one new vehicle ever, it was a leftover and it was fall 2020, so pretty weird times. I paid $11500 on a $15400 msrp and was very happy. I’m considering buying another new bike and will feel fairly lucky to pay msrp even though it’ll probably be winter when I buy. It seems like the 890 R is one of the most in demand bikes these days, good luck.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

I paid MSRP over the phone with a credit card for my SV650 back in 99, there were none around here, so I snagged it, since then, due to my relationship with the local dealer, I've just paid dealer cost for all practical purpose. My '07 V-strom in Dec 06 came to me for about 2k under MSRP and my new scooter a few weeks ago was $1500 under msrp. I looked online to see what they had in stock, drove to dealer, grabbed a salesman, and asked him to call owner to ask how much for me, sales manager came down 10 minutes later, I wrote check and had them deliver it to my house

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

I’m a dealerships wet dream because I’m socially awkward and loathe haggling… I don’t think I’ve ever paid under msrp on a bike or car.

I just walk in, drop the Vaseline on the floor and bend over.

I did walk out over Ford of Londonderry trying to charge $2,000 over msrp on my 2021 Bronco, and they called back and agreed on msrp.

But right now… I would be surprised to get a deal.

But at the same time like I shared in the Ridgeline thread, seems the markets starting to dip.

But imo New England is notorious for being pretty stingy msrp wise.

Your park avenue leads to..

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Ive only bought one new vehicle ever, it was a leftover and it was fall 2020, so pretty weird times. I paid $11500 on a $15400 msrp and was very happy. I’m considering buying another new bike and will feel fairly lucky to pay msrp even though it’ll probably be winter when I buy. It seems like the 890 R is one of the most in demand bikes these days, good luck.
    The Triumph???

I’ve always said the only way to buy from National is to buy new Triumph, because they want TOP dollar for used prices, but advertise no dealer fees.. so in theory, every other dealer will have fees so new Triumph is the way to go!!!! Asaaaand of course when I bought my scrambler there was a $400 freight surcharge “due to Covid”, so even I didn’t stand by my word. “You get an extra year of warranty though…”

So You and I are on the same bike, you at $11,500, me at $17,000.

Last edited by Gixxer; 10-07-22 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    The Triumph???

I’ve always said the only way to buy from National is to buy new Triumph, because they want TOP dollar for used prices, but advertise no dealer fees.. so in theory, every other dealer will have fees so new Triumph is the way to go!!!! Asaaaand of course when I bought my scrambler there was a $400 freight surcharge “due to Covid”, so even I didn’t stand by my word. “You get an extra year of warranty though…”

National USED TO have really decent prices. I bought my 2005 Dyna Low Rider (FI) with 5000 miles for $5400 the summer of 2019. Today they're asking $8000 for a 2004 with almost 18,000 miles...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    National USED TO have really decent prices. I bought my 2005 Dyna Low Rider (FI) with 5000 miles for $5400 the summer of 2019. Today they're asking $8000 for a 2004 with almost 18,000 miles...
    As well, they're asking $21,000 & $22,000 for the two Vivid Black 2017 Street Glide Specials they have in stock. One with over 30,000 miles, one with over 34,000 miles. I paid $17,000 OTD for mine in Feb. 2020 w/ +/- 5000 miles AT A DEALER.

While I've only ever bought 1 new motorcycle, I could never purchase a luxury item like a motorcycle for more than MSRP. Hell, I have a hard time purchasing anything above MSRP but if I don't need it, I'm not paying extra for it. Just principle I guess.

I’m a dealerships wet dream because I’m socially awkward and loathe haggling… I don’t think I’ve ever paid under msrp on a bike or car.
    I hate haggling too. Such a waste of time. Not that I buy many new vehicles, but once I know exactly what I want I set aside time to call every dealership within a certain radius (mine is large) and speak with the sales manager. I tell them what I'm doing and will buy today from the dealership with the lowest number. They can call me back within a time frame so they have time to get approval or whatever they need to do but all I want is a number, don't waste my time with anything else and I wont waste yours. I shut down any other BS they say or simply hang up. This short process has saved me thousands per vehicle, especially when factoring in sales tax and other factors, and is pretty painless IMO.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I hate haggling too. Such a waste of time. Not that I buy many new vehicles, but once I know exactly what I want I set aside time to call every dealership within a certain radius (mine is large) and speak with the sales manager. I tell them what I'm doing and will buy today from the dealership with the lowest number. They can call me back within a time frame so they have time to get approval or whatever they need to do but all I want is a number, don't waste my time with anything else and I wont waste yours. I shut down any other BS they say or simply hang up. This short process has saved me thousands per vehicle, especially when factoring in sales tax and other factors, and is pretty painless IMO.
    I do exactly this over email. So far so good!

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I just walk in, drop the Vaseline on the floor and bend over.

I did walk out over Ford of Londonderry trying to charge $2,000 over msrp on my 2021 Bronco, and they called back and agreed on msrp.

But right now… I would be surprised to get a deal.

But at the same time like I shared in the Ridgeline thread, seems the markets starting to dip.

But imo New England is notorious for being pretty stingy msrp wise.
    that is easiest way to haggle, tell them your offer, and walk away,

I remember buying my saddlebags in Nogales, leather shop, had a set of nice hand tooled saddlebags for $240, I offered the young Mexican $100, he came back with $150, told him no, $100, and left, about 2 minutes later and a block down the street, he chased me down, and said "ok $100, if you give me $2 tip", so I got em for $102

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

My friend was interested, but ended up with a Norden 901 from Portsmouth for less than MSRP
    https://motohunt.com/l/4923670/2022-...les-Norden-901

To each his own, but the Norden does look amazing in person. I think he got it for $13800 including some fees.
    It is hard to get anything under MSRP now. I'm looking as well, MT09, Trident, etc...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

The Triumph???

Yeah, I’ve seen you mention how much you paid, didn’t want to make you feel bad. To be fair, I bought at a weird time right before the vehicle markets went crazy and everyone was sure the economy was going to collapse. It was $11500 out the door. They had like 17 of them, I think they had bought leftovers from other dealers or something, advertised at $12000, but one of their sales guys was all over Triumph facebook groups offering an extra $500 off if you mentioned his name and they honored that.

I do feel like I got a pretty great deal, I’ve had unprompted offers to buy the bike for more than I paid for it, so that feels good.

FWIW I am also socially awkward and despise haggling, just was right time/right place.

Last edited by Spooler; 10-08-22 at 10:11 AM.
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I do exactly this over email. So far so good!

I have attempted this a few times and had a really hard time getting anyone to respond via email. They insist on doing it in person or at least over the phone. I think sometimes it was bots that were responding to my emails, which was very frustrating.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

Yeah, a lot of places won’t negotiate via email and insist you go into their lot (their terms, so much for customer preference), which is unfortunate since I’ve literally bought two motorcycles and at least two cars and communicated all via email and text. So the hypocritical dinosaurs who will use the internet to advertise and get business, but not use it to do business, probably assume I’m not a buyer, and actually missed a sale.

Yeah, a lot of places won’t negotiate via email and insist you go into their lot (their terms, so much for customer preference), which is unfortunate since I’ve literally bought two motorcycles and at least two cars and communicated all via email and text. So the hypocritical dinosaurs who will use the internet to advertise and get business, but not use it to do business, probably assume I’m not a buyer, and actually missed a sale.
    It might be different if they actually allowed test rides

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

Is there an update to how the visit went?

Yesterday marked the first time in history I've paid sticker for a vehicle. No inventory on a lot of stuff means they don't care of you walk, someone else will grab it instantly.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Yesterday marked the first time in history I've paid sticker for a vehicle. No inventory on a lot of stuff means they don't care of you walk, someone else will grab it instantly.
    Whatd u buy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast