Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thoughts/Opinions- Dropping street riding- MSF Coaches encouraged to reply.

Re: Thoughts/Opinions- Dropping street riding- MSF Coaches encouraged to reply.

I can see where it may be more enjoyable for me than it is for others, I do not commute, but do use it as my personal company vehicle, 95% of my riding is mid day, mid week in rural lakes region NH, no traffic to speak of cause I stay of primary routes and I am not out there during commuter hours

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I'll take the next couple weeks and mull everything over. A cheap DS may be the answer for when I want to ride and not cost me much of anything.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Direct human interaction is a much more engaging experience. I can have my 3 closest friends in the car with me, and we arent talking over intercoms.
    Yeah, maybe if you are driving a Sebring in which case you need to end your life and the life of anyone you spawned immediately for the sake of all things good.

I got a 2 seater convertible last year. I rode the bike to work so little this year that I can't recall the last time I rode in. Having the drop top is just so easy when chance of rain is in the forecast, or I have to hit the store on the way home, or I have a consulting gig to get to with equipment, etc. It's not as fun, but I will say that the monotony of riding to work every day had caught me in more than one instance of "did I check to see if a car was coming before I turned left just now?".

Now I ride once in a while and I find myself far more sharp in doing so.

Last edited by TheIglu; 10-01-14 at 01:13 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Everybody gets burnt on one thing or another, and it definitely becomes more apparent in the fall or towards the tail of "the riding season".
    It may be time to just try something new. Close one chapter and move on to the next.
    The toughest part is the change. Right now most of us (who don't have bikes sitting in the shop) have the opportunity to scratch whatever itch arises when time/budgets/the stars align.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I have commuted on the bike more this year than any year since I started riding. I believe I am happier for it. I have a ~45 minute, very uninteresting commute. In the AMs I just do it and get it over with. In the PMs I take the "long way" and work it out to 60 to 90 minutes. I get off the bike happy and damned glad I am fortunate enough to own a motorcycle.

I also see Mark's point of view. Traveling by bike rules. So much better than going by plane or automobile. Travel light; couple changes of underwear and a credit card. Figure the rest out later. $10 gets you into national parks and ~50 MPG. Really, what more do you want in life?

Can't imagine not having a street bike in my life.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

When you have a family and young kids to care for, priorities change quite a bit. I don't have the luxury of taking the long way home, taking off on trips, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Can't imagine not having a street bike in my life.
    This thread is making me slightly depressed. At the moment, I have to pick street or track, and I have picked track. But I will be back out there eventually.

Lifer

I can dig it. It's all about priorities. Sounds like yours are family and young kids. Nobody can fault you for that.

Do whatcha gotta do.

Although I still don't understand how that precludes having a cheap ujm or dual-sport in the back of the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I can dig it. It's all about priorities. Sounds like yours are family and young kids. Nobody can fault you for that.

Do whatcha gotta do.

Although I still don't understand how that precludes having a cheap ujm or dual-sport in the back of the shed.
    It doesn't. As of now that is the tentative plan. Cheap ~$1500 bike to get to and from MSF class and the occasional ride.

Quote Originally Posted by McBiggity View Post
    When you have a family and young kids to care for, priorities change quite a bit. I don't have the luxury of taking the long way home, taking off on trips, etc...
    I don't really either, but luckily I can commute if I want. I was more than happy to leave the scoot in the garage this morning though.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

As of now, my commute is about 3 miles.

Yeah, I'm looking at 29 each way, so it is enticing, most days.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

As of now, my commute is about 3 miles.

And then you can skip any worry about finding time to exercise.

nedirtriders.com

Just needs a car seat and I'll be set!

I have no commute, and in an ironic twist it is the Sprinter van that is killing my motivation to use the bike for weekend travel. Rockin up with a full size bed, sink, shower, and whatever gear I choose somehow trumps traveling light.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I have no commute, and in an ironic twist it is the Sprinter van that is killing my motivation to use the bike for weekend travel. Rockin up with a full size bed, sink, shower, and whatever gear I choose somehow trumps traveling light.
    But the water is gonna get cold soon.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

That's when I head to P.R.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Hey kid, checkout my ass.*

* I have no kids. Somedays it shows.

Last edited by nhbubba; 10-01-14 at 02:15 PM.

too bad it's not legal to strap one of those to an MC. ha. Problem solved for me when it comes to dropping the kid off/picking her up.

Lifer

And as the kid gets older there's the half-bike that bolts on the back so they can pedal their share. Whoops, bubba beat me to it.

nedirtriders.com

Thoughts/Opinions- Dropping street riding- MSF Coaches encouraged to reply.-2011-08-03_13-30-59_187-a
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts/Opinions- Dropping street riding- MSF Coaches encouraged to reply.-2011-08-03_13-30-59_187-a  

Not sure that flies in the great state of MA

I hear ya on that. BC (before child), I used to log over 5k/year commuting and pleasure riding. My peak since she was born was about 2k, and that was a couple years ago, when i made a concerted effort to get out there more. Now that she's doing sports and stuff, and we have playdates and activities all weekend every weekend, priorities re-shifted and I'm back to about 1000-1500/year. Sometimes I wonder why I even still have a bike, let alone two, but then I get a ride in and I remember all over again (getting the Triumph helped put a smile back on my face - after 8 years with the SV, it was a bit stale). I am fortunate though that motorcycles are something Rob and I do together, so if we do get some un-busy grownup time, we can often work the bikes into it somehow.

Now we are counting down the months until she is old/secure enough to ride on the back. In NH, it is based on reaching the pegs and holding on. Pegs, check. Holding on....still iffy.

Last edited by mzdagrl; 10-01-14 at 02:42 PM.
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Not sure that flies in the great state of MA
    She just needs a helmet.

Though I haven't had a chance to try one, it sounds to me like a DRZ400 or similar would be a good fit for you.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Lifer

I picked my DRZ up for about his budget.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast