Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121323 ... LastLast

Opinions on V-Stroms

Re: Opinions on V-Stroms

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Man, I hope the successor has Shaft drive.
    Oh, like the BMW F650GS, F800GS, and Triumph Tiger 800?

Oh, wait.

You can buy a nice Honda Deauville - 700cc, shaft drive, only $10K.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I sat on a few NT700v's. No way that bike is worth anything close to $10k. Not in my eye. Salesman actually agreed. And he had a marked down demo. On paper it sounds perfect. In the flesh it isn't. I can't even put my finger on what I don't like about it, it's just the package. I'd forever be kicking myself for not buying a lightly used ST1300 instead.

I've been following the speculation thread on stromtrooper.com. Anyone see this being such a scorching announcement that existing owners rush to dump their bikes... or dealers their inventory? Otherwise I am not sure I care, personally.

I guess we'll see; I am not exactly acting fast here.

The only thing of interest I could see them doing is adding a shaft drive. But that would drive up costs. The appeal of this thing is that it is cheap 'n easy.

I have to admit: I want to use this thing 'wrong'. So improvements for off-highway use do not appeal to me at all. I could care less about spoke wheels and improved ground clearance. Almost the opposite in fact. I am definitely not their target buyer. In fact the 19" front almost drove me to Kawasaki.

I've half been stalling until after bike week to see if used selection goes up and prices go down... or if that doesn't happen until September. It's been a long while since I've shopped for a bike.

Last edited by nhbubba; 06-14-11 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Oh, like the BMW F650GS, F800GS, and Triumph Tiger 800?

Oh, wait.

You can buy a nice Honda Deauville - 700cc, shaft drive, only $10K.
    I like the everything about the deauville, except the price. $10k? You could get two used farkled V-stroms for that!

That being said, I like everything about the V-strom, except the chain drive. That's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but it is an annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Lifer

That said, chains aren't really that bad, are they?

I've never had a bike with anything but a chain.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That said, chains aren't really that bad, are they?

I've never had a bike with anything but a chain.
    No you're right. Getting your bike on the stand, then going through the messy, smelly, and tedious process of cleaning, then lubing your chain every 300 miles (which is every 1-2 days for me) isn't bad at all.

...I have your pants!!!

Lifer

Meh, grow a set!

Yeah, I see that. On the other hand, I'll take a chain drive if it means a thou or two shaved off the MSRP.

Every 300 miles. Gebus, what do you do to those chains?!

Speaking of chain service. Turnoff for the Kawi Versys: Chain drive + no centerstand, even from the aftermarket thanks to the under-it all exhaust routing. WTF were they thinking.

Now, you can keep asking these questions here for the 10 of us to answer, or you can just go read the 50 existing threads on each of these subjects on stromtrooper.....

That said, chains aren't really that bad, are they? I've never had a bike with anything but a chain.
    The new 800's from BMW and Triumph are using chains. BMW has created a lot of new chain enthusiasts, one reason why about 50% of V-Strom owners are former BMW owners. Super Tenere has a shaft - got $14K?

Keep in mind that a chain on a 65hp V-Strom is a lot different than a chain on a 1000cc sportbike - literally 1/2 to 1/3rd the HP. Also, most people put a center stand on a V-Strom while sport bike riders only have a side stand.

V-Strom riders usually get 15-20,000 miles on a chain, some as much as 40,000.

Maintenance is absolutely trivial. I keep a can of lube in my pannier. Every other tank of gas is roughly 500 miles, so at that time I go to the back of the bike and spray the rear sprocket and links - I colored one of the links orange so I know when I've gone all the way around. I never clean it nor do most other V-Strom riders: cleaning doesn't seem to adversely affect life. The new dry lubes and waxes don't pick up much dirt anyway so there wouldn't be all that much cleaning to do.

CN: chain maintenance consumes approximately 100 seconds per week.

//
    Speaking of chain service. Turnoff for the Kawi Versys: Chain drive + no centerstand, even from the aftermarket thanks to the under-it all exhaust routing. WTF were they thinking.
    They were thinking that it is a standard that competes (not very successfully) with the SV650. SV650 versus Versys.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-14-11 at 05:01 PM.

Even easier?

Scottoiler. Just upgraded mine to the dual nozzle.

I give the reservior a fill every 500-700 miles. That's it. Chain is happy, I'm happy.

That being said, my newest addition is also my first shaft drive and I LOVE it. I'd be all about shaft drive on the new Wee-strom.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Now, you can keep asking these questions here for the 10 of us to answer, or you can just go read the 50 existing threads on each of these subjects on stromtrooper.....
    Oooookay. Just looking for a little discussion is all. You're more than welcome to not participate.

For the record my chain Q was rhetorical. Was simply trying to push home that shaft drive for an all-new V-Strom is not required. I believe you were making a similar point with the BMW/Triumph comparo.

I know chain maintenance isn't that bad.

But thanks for the chain mileage guestimates. I hadn't read that yet. Quite frankly I don't consider chain maintenance to be a deal breaker. I'm pretty used to getting at least 2 seasons out of a chain. Sounds like a 'strom chain is no different.

Dana can come across as crass and sassy, but I assure you, he's a luvbug.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Well they are supposed to unveil the NEW strom tomorrow.

If it is a significant improvement there will be a large number of reliable used Weestroms on the market

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    No you're right. Getting your bike on the stand, then going through the messy, smelly, and tedious process of cleaning, then lubing your chain every 300 miles (which is every 1-2 days for me) isn't bad at all.

For the record... I got over 30,000 miles on my original Wee-Strom chain. Never cleaned it, just lubed it religiously using the Dupont Teflon stuff. Lubing it is a simple matter of putting the bike on the centerstand and letting it run in first gear while spraying the chain with lube. Takes all of about 30 seconds.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

I have to admit: I want to use this thing 'wrong'. So improvements for off-highway use do not appeal to me at all. I could care less about spoke wheels and improved ground clearance. Almost the opposite in fact. I am definitely not their target buyer. In fact the 19" front almost drove me to Kawasaki.

Definitely sounds like you might be happier with a Versys, or possibly even a lightly used Buell Ulysses or Triumph Tiger 1050.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

When is the announcement????

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Dana can come across as crass and sassy, but I assure you, he's a luvbug.
    Cut that out! If RandyO retires I'm going for Class Curmudgeon....

Last edited by Garandman; 06-15-11 at 09:23 AM.

Lifer

Consider the GSX650F for comfort and fairly upright position. For $4k you can get a 2008 used one. Better for the road. The DL650 seems like would handle better the road the the DL1000 and would be my vote.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Definitely sounds like you might be happier with a Versys, or possibly even a lightly used Buell Ulysses or Triumph Tiger 1050.
    Why do you say that about the Versys? Turnoffs from what I've read include: slightly more vibey I2 engine, less aftermarket support, and less heft for highway riding. Price is right though. I've sat on several, they fit fine. Can't find anyone willing to let me test ride though..

Ulysses are even harder to find than clean V-Stroms. Book value is much higher too. Wish I was shopping last year (or was it 2 years ago already) when they were blowing them out at the dealers.

Triumph scares me. Way too much money anyway.

I'm really hooked on the idea of a "naturally balanced" 90-deg V-twin. Have spent the last couple years telling anyone that would listen that I thought the SV650 was the bike to have. Then I discovered the V-Strom 650. Everybody says the SV/DL 650 is a sweet engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    When is the announcement????
    Today.. or not. Suzi is playing marketing games. Very silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Consider the GSX650F for comfort and fairly upright position.
    Interesting. Hadn't seen them. On paper they have a lot more lean and an I4. Seems very Bandit-like. I just moved on from a Bandit because of the lean angle, 4-cylinder vibes, and complexity. Isn't this basically a replacement for the old Bandit 600?

Can't find any used on the 'net.

I had a Versys for a few months and it was a really good bike. Comfortable, just enough power to do anything, surprisingly good stock suspension (if you're a bigger guy), easy to wrench on, etc. With that being said, it was (in my opinion) completely devoid of any sort of character. It was a tool that worked very well, but didn't do much for the soul. That's why I got rid of it.

Why do you say that about the Versys?
    Because it's similar to the Wee-Strom in terms of riding position, comfort, and power, but handles quicker due to the 17" front wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba
    Triumph scares me.
    Why? You are aware, I assume, that the "new" Hinckley Triumph is a totally different animal from the oil-leaking old Meriden Triumphs of the '70s and earlier? They're on par with the Japanese for reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba
    I'm really hooked on the idea of a "naturally balanced" 90-deg V-twin. Have spent the last couple years telling anyone that would listen that I thought the SV650 was the bike to have. Then I discovered the V-Strom 650. Everybody says the SV/DL 650 is a sweet engine.
    It may be "naturally balanced," but it still vibrates a lot more than the inline triple in my new Tiger 800.

I took my Wee-Strom out for a ride about two weeks after getting the Tiger. I was shocked at how unrefined it seemed in comparison. It looked and felt like it had been designed by a fifth grader compared to the Tiger. It was like riding a Tonka toy.

Quote Originally Posted by schleppy
    I had a Versys for a few months and it was a really good bike. Comfortable, just enough power to do anything, surprisingly good stock suspension (if you're a bigger guy), easy to wrench on, etc. With that being said, it was (in my opinion) completely devoid of any sort of character. It was a tool that worked very well, but didn't do much for the soul.
    This is a perfect description of the Wee-Strom as well.

By all objective measures, it's an excellent budget-priced bike. But it's got no personality. I put nearly 40,000 miles on mine in three years, but once I got the Tiger, I stopped giving the Strom a second thought.

--mark

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

Nothing wrong with a chain - and this is coming from a shaft-drive lover. You *do* have to do things to a shaft drive unit - less frequently, but be prepared for a bit of a hassle when you do. Greasing the splines on the driveshaft and changing the final drive oil on the GS series isnt exactly hard, but you arent going to be doing it easily on the side of the road either.....

And there's the fact I can *see* if my chain is getting shitty, while my shaft drive gears a a mystery inside their housing.

the best driveline imho is an enclosed chain, best of both worlds, my XV920R has over 60,000 miles on the original non o-ring chain, only maintneance is replace the grease every 30,000, rewewing the grease can be messy, it's not a heavy oil it's grease so it don't drain out the drain, you have to take the housing apart, scrape it out, wash the parts in kerosene, clean the chain then reassemble and pump in 3 liters of moly grease, good for another 30k, wish the starters would last that long

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I have a VEE 1000 Strom because I view the local tertiary roads as paved dirt roads so the longer suspension ala hyper motard.

I once bought a nice Toyota Supra. Then a month later had to move my old Turbo Capri, after being in the Supra, I said this is farm equipment

Maybe they are all wacky nerds but almost every Vstrom rider loves it but then there are many low mileage ones for sale. I guess its polarizing.

Lifer

Interesting. Hadn't seen them. On paper they have a lot more lean and an I4. Seems very Bandit-like. I just moved on from a Bandit because of the lean angle, 4-cylinder vibes, and complexity. Isn't this basically a replacement for the old Bandit 600?

Can't find any used on the 'net.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the GSX650F is bandit like and same engine as the Bandit 650. The motor is smooth and torquie, but the riding position is not as upright as the DL. It is still very comfortable. The price on them is right and the styling in my opinion is spot on. It also has a one piece seat that should be comfortable for occasional two up riding. Just threw one more bike into the mix...from all you mentioned DL650 would be worth while checking out. I agree that the Vtwin engine on these bikes is nice. I rented a naked SV650 and enjoyed it, even two up with my wife.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    And there's the fact I can *see* if my chain is getting shitty, while my shaft drive gears a a mystery inside their housing.
    Ignorance is bliss. :

...I have your pants!!!

Lifer

Meh. Bandit, Bandit Jr, GSX650, whatever they call it, I think it's time for something new and different for me. It's a bitch too. Sat on the new Bandit (or whatever they're calling it now) at a stealer the other day. Water cooled, EFI, available ABS, nice plastics. Thing has grown up to be a helluva bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    I had a Versys for a few months and it was a really good bike. Comfortable, just enough power to do anything, surprisingly good stock suspension (if you're a bigger guy), easy to wrench on, etc.
    Damn you. Mom's has two now. I think I need to make a day of it and head down.
    Why? You are aware, I assume, that the "new" Hinckley Triumph is a totally different animal from the oil-leaking old Meriden Triumphs of the '70s and earlier? They're on par with the Japanese for reliability.
    Price. Parts cost. Price. Maintenance costs. Price. Dealer network. And oh yeah, price.
    It may be "naturally balanced," but it still vibrates a lot more than the inline triple in my new Tiger 800.
    Oh yeah? I know a guy with a Speed Triple. Maybe I need to track him down.. Give the big T a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    I have a VEE 1000 Strom because I view the local tertiary roads as paved dirt roads so the longer suspension ala hyper motard.
    Oh I hear that! Its no wonder so many of my neighbors drive SUVs these days.