Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131424 ... LastLast

Opinions on V-Stroms

Re: Opinions on V-Stroms

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Price. Parts cost. Price. Maintenance costs. Price. Dealer network. And oh yeah, price.
    Triumphs are very competitively priced compared to other bikes of similar quality/features. But there's the point -- they don't make a low-end budget bike like the Wee-Strom.

For what it's worth, maintenance is no worse than the Japanese bikes. Parts seem to be around the same price too. Of course, in over 27,000 miles on my Bonneville, the only thing I've ever had to replace besides standard wear items was a faulty coil (supplied by Japan, ironically). An aftermarket high-performance coil cost all of $75.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

I think I'm after a low-end budget bike, like an SV, Versys, or DL. In fact I'm rethinking the Versys at this point purely because it is (relatively) uber-cheap fun.

At this point I think either the DL or the Versys would suit me fine. I should probably just land on the first clean one I find for my price.

Last edited by nhbubba; 06-16-11 at 07:07 AM.

Just get yourself the Versys and enjoy!

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
    1972 Honda CL70

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

They were thinking that it is a standard that competes (not very successfully) with the SV650. SV650 versus Versys.

I would not take advice from anyone who shifts any bike at 4000 RPM

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
    1972 Honda CL70

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    I would not take advice from anyone who shifts any bike at 4000 RPM
    Lol, wut? This is the only rpm reference I found in that thread.

Engine: Inline 2. Coming off the SV, the engine felt.... dead. As we took off from swapping rides, I found myself shifting at 4-6k RPM. The engine felt anemic, and like it was going to explode if I rev'd it any higher. This isn't to say it was bad, but it definitely does not have the low end grunt the SV does (I2 vs. V-twin). The engine was smooth otherwise.
    All moot since he's stated his budget is $4,000 plus $800 for options. There's one Versys for sale on CL in New England that I could find and asking price is $5,200. On cycletrader the closest one for sale is in PA also with an asking price of $5,200. He has a better chance of buying a pink unicorn.

Rider magazine tested the DL650A against the newish Triumph 800. MSRP with ABS is $10,799 versus $8,099.
    Weight difference was 8 lbs, 481 to 489, but the V-Strom had an additional 0.8 gallons of gas.

Tiger had 83.9 hp (+32%) and 51.2 ft lbs of torque (+24%).
    DL650A had 63.5hp and 41.2 ft lbs of torque.

Tiger had a high mpg of 50.1, low of 32.7, average 38.4. Estimated range 192.
    DL650A had a high mpg of 50.6, low of 41.8, average 45.9 (+19.5%). Estimated range 266 mi.

Tiger suspension travel 7.1" front 6.7" rear vs. DL 5.9/5.9.

They liked the Tiger better off road, They thought the V-Strom was better on the highway, solo or two-up. They thought braking was about the same. They preferred the looks and sound of the Tiger, but noted the much wider dealer and aftermarket support for the V-Strom.

Remember what I said about the V-Stroms loyal following? It's based on a solid foundation of experience, not ego. Owners want the V-Stroms comfort, versatility, reliability, touring range, and deep aftermarket support, and they don't want to spend too much for it.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-19-11 at 05:32 AM.

for the record, i got my 2008 versys on kawasakiversys.com for <4000$ and it already had a ton of accessories on it. It had 7k miles and was in great shape. if youre interested in getting one id check out the for sale section over there and there are plenty at good prices to be found.

heres an 09 in mass with 1k miles for 4500
    http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15801

Last edited by fineout; 06-19-11 at 07:46 AM.

Lifer

All moot since he's stated his budget is $4,000 plus $800 for options. There's one Versys for sale on CL in New England that I could find and asking price is $5,200. On cycletrader the closest one for sale is in PA also with an asking price of $5,200. He has a better chance of buying a pink unicorn.
    My $4k budget is proving to be a little optimistic for either choice right now.

But your CL search is a week or so late. There were several under $5k just weeks ago. And I'm sure there will be again. I've seen several dealers with several 2-year old leftovers rotting in their showrooms. Finding a Versys for less money than a V-Strom is not hard.

Garandman, not a fan of Kawis I gather. Or just this one?

Lifer

New data on the v-strom was released, although offline already. Looks like an evolutionary change, nothing more.

Still a helluva bike fer the money.

While the "new" V-Strom is exactly what I expected, I have only one reaction that encompasses both the accidental leak off Suzuki's own servers and the monumental missed opportunity to make a killing in this market sector by building a more focused, ADV-oriented bike (ie, less bodywork, longer and better suspension, spoked wheels), like Triumph did with the new Tiger:

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Yes this won't influence used bike prices

Seems LESS capable then original at first blush.
    \
    Why Gheydius up the SUV UJM DL.
    Maybe you have to watch a lot of anime to get it. I think kids still won't buy it and adults with some cash will move to real adventure bikes. Smooth move genius.

Lifer

Bike looks just as capable as the original to my read. But then I am a street rider looking for a light tourer, not a dirt rider looking for a street bike. I don't think I'm alone though. I do think there is a market for this, particularly in Europe where I hear the V-Strom does quite well.

Actually looking at it again many of the changes look like an answer to the Versys. The digital speedo, styling touches from their street/sport offerings, gladius mill, etc. I don't see this bike doing any worse than the current offering.

Although personally I loath digital speedos. They really annoy me. One of the little things that turns me off re: the Kawi Versys.
    And I don't understand the clamor over the gear position indicator. When did this become a 'must have' feature?

I think Suzi will still undercut the rest of the 'adventure' market with the pricing. And that will keep the 'adults with some cash' around. Those they loose to the European makes they were going to loose anyway.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    While the "new" V-Strom is exactly what I expected, I have only one reaction that encompasses both the accidental leak off Suzuki's own servers and the monumental missed opportunity to make a killing in this market sector by building a more focused, ADV-oriented bike (ie, less bodywork, longer and better suspension, spoked wheels), like Triumph did with the new Tiger.
    The people who want an even taller bike with more ground clearance, more power, spoked wheels, longer stroke suspension etc will buy one of the 800-1200cc bikes available, spending the requisite $10,000 to $18,000. A 21" front wheel is definitely not what I want for any bike ridden on road.

Clearly Suzuki remains focused on what their original vision for the bike was: "A sportier bike than the GS, appealing to a younger audience." Seems pretty clear they have no intention of producing an $11,000 model when they can just dip into the Suzuki parts bin and produce a bike that reflects reality: very few people take 500 lb bikes off roads.

360 view still available as well as more pics of accessories. Both side and top open bags are being offered.. Username and password is Vstrom / Suzuki.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-22-11 at 11:48 AM.

A 21" front wheel is definitely not what I want for any bike ridden on road.
    Why does everybody assume that a 21" front wheel automatically equals shitty handling on the street? Take the new Tiger XC out for a ride, and let me know how much that 21" front wheel holds you back (if you even remember that it has one once you start riding it).

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Lifer

Can you get street/touring rubber in a 21" size? I was worried enough about 19" size as it was.

The people who want an even taller bike with more ground clearance, more power, spoked wheels, longer stroke suspension etc will buy one of the 800-1200cc bikes available, spending the requisite $10,000 to $18,000. A 21" front wheel is definitely not what I want for any bike ridden on road.

You're missing the point. Suzuki could have pulled in two customer bases with one platform by doing what BMW did with the F800/650GS and Triumph with the Tiger 800 -- build the usual road version, and a more offroad-focused version at a slightly higher price. It would have been trivial for them -- bolt on DR-Z suspension and wheels and reduce the amount of bodywork.

That way they would have gotten both the guys who want an easy-riding upright sport-tourer AND the ADV guys who want something more dirt-worthy, and by bringing it in a couple thousand dollars cheaper than the Euro offerings, they would have attracted a lot of people who will instead buy a Tiger 800 XC or F800GS. Maybe even a few KTM customers who are sick of swapping out water pumps every 15k miles. Not to mention the cheap-bastard crowd who would have been willing to pay a little extra for the power and smoothness of a twin but will instead just buy more KLR650s.

And by the way, Keith's right -- 21" front wheel does not equal shitty handling. The Tiger XC is an outstanding-handling bike, and that big front wheel is actually awesome on the road -- does a great job of rolling over bad pavement, expansion joints, etc.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Can you get street/touring rubber in a 21" size? I was worried enough about 19" size as it was.
    Yes. Avon AM26 RoadRiders, for example. Great tires. Available in both 90/90-21 and 100/90-19.

--mark

Definition of "Wee Strom" from Urban Dictionary:

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Wee Strom
    -noun, plural: plague (of wee stroms)

Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Given that a larger 1000cc model exists, the 650cc is referred to as a 'Wee Strom' rather than a V Strom.

Known primarily for their godawful hideous design, horrific wind management and cheap owners, they are generally covered with odd windshields, ammunition cans, milk crates, and half-assed lighting and navigation devices.

A gathering of two or more Wee Stroms is correctly referred to as a 'plague'.
    I rolled into the diner only to find a plague of wee stroms and their peculiar owners, so I rode on to the next town.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=wee+strom

A plague of Wee-Stroms!

--mark

Lifer

"..and cheap owners.."

No joke: Yesterday I poured half a gallon into my cage so I could roll through town and fill-up at the cheaper station near the highway.

KLR riders are the cheap ones.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    Why does everybody assume that a 21" front wheel automatically equals shitty handling on the street? Take the new Tiger XC out for a ride, and let me know how much that 21" front wheel holds you back (if you even remember that it has one once you start riding it).
    You should see the stupid shit I do on a knobby on the street. I ain't skewers of no wheel size.

Personally, I'd like a better "all around machine". Since I'm a cheap bastard, I'll wait till I can get something along the lines of an 800gs for cheap(er).

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    You're missing the point. Suzuki could have pulled in two customer bases with one platform by doing what BMW did with the F800/650GS and Triumph with the Tiger 800 -- build the usual road version, and a more offroad-focused version at a slightly higher price. It would have been trivial for them -- bolt on DR-Z suspension and wheels and reduce the amount of bodywork.

That way they would have gotten both the guys who want an easy-riding upright sport-tourer AND the ADV guys who want something more dirt-worthy, and by bringing it in a couple thousand dollars cheaper than the Euro offerings, they would have attracted a lot of people who will instead buy a Tiger 800 XC or F800GS. Maybe even a few KTM customers who are sick of swapping out water pumps every 15k miles. Not to mention the cheap-bastard crowd who would have been willing to pay a little extra for the power and smoothness of a twin but will instead just buy more KLR650s.

And by the way, Keith's right -- 21" front wheel does not equal shitty handling. The Tiger XC is an outstanding-handling bike, and that big front wheel is actually awesome on the road -- does a great job of rolling over bad pavement, expansion joints, etc.

--mark
    Your talking about a company that skipped and entire model year of importing to the US, they are not going out on a limb.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
    1972 Honda CL70

Picked up my 2008 Versys at Max BMW last year for $4000 with bags, crash bars, and heated grips... And it is Red NOT PINK.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
    1972 Honda CL70

Lifer

I have put a deposit down on a V-Strom! 2011 - 650cc - ABS.

To hell with those pesky budgets!