Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161727 ... LastLast

Opinions on V-Stroms

Lifer

Re: Opinions on V-Stroms

I just can't believe (or maybe just am generally depressed that) it isn't worth the investment to fix that. I hear some say Suzi is in trouble, financially.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I just can't believe (or maybe just am generally depressed that) it isn't worth the investment to fix that. I hear some say Suzi is in trouble, financially.
    Yeah and they're idiots.

Suzuki bought their shares back from GM for $2 billion. Then they sold fewer shares to VW for $2.5 billion. Those shares are now worth $2,9 billion.

The big question is whether Suzuki can survive in the "value" market with the Yen going the way it is. With the Exception of the GSX-R they have always offered technically conservative but good performing and reliable motorcycles at a modest price.

Now that the Yen has increased relative to the dollar and euro, and with the Chinese manipulating their currency, they may not be able to offer low prices. So they will have to bring innovation and style to the market.

It's easy to count them out, but don't forget that the reason why there is no more 750 class racing is that successive generations of GSX-R750's so totally destroyed their competition that the others gave up. At the moment Suzuki is in 5th in the MotoGP, but in AMA racing - which is much more production bike oriented - Suzuki dominates the standings, even though Yamaha has been moving up. Suzuki has 5 of the top 10 and 11 of the top 20 slots.

Yes when ever you saw privateers racing they were 80% Suzi's

I still say that

These are the end of the good ole days and motorcycles will go the way of USA muscle cars. Us peasants won't be able to afford other than 250's

When your a geezer like me you can tell your grand kids about roaming the country at will, for fun, when they are home from the ECO-Taliban reeducation camps.

Lifer

Laid on about 200 miles doing a pretty fun loop up to the lakes region today. Had a helluva time doing it too. Hit up routes 107, 140, 109a and 153. All from this 'best of' list.

Fuel gauge started flashing on my way back into town. Pumped just a smidge over 5 gal. Had a trip to work on the tank already. So $18.50 bought me a day of grins and a trip to work. Not bad, not bad...

Lifer

Would any of you local strom-types mind showing me your pannier setup sometime?

Garandman, I know you run Jesse panniers. Impressed with them, I think they are near the top of my list. They seem like probably the most secure, semi permanent option. Also like the fact that they don't make the bike 10' wide.

RandyO, you've got Caribou cases (pelicans), no? Which size? I've seen your comments that their solution is worth the money not having to spend hours upon hours hacking something together. I think I agree.

Been trying to wade through the bajillion threads on stromtrooper.com, kinda feel like I need to touch n' feel.

There isn't a local retailer that sells this stuff, is there?

Nelson Rigg Cl850 work well on V-stroms. They're soft bags, but they fit so well, it's like they were designed for those bikes.

Not to mention they cost a fraction of the cost of most hard luggage setups and install in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Lifer

But they aren't secure. I can't leave my stuff in them, walk away, and know it'll still be there when I get back.

Yeah, that's true, what's your budget for bags?

Here's a good vid on how to make Pelican 1550's work with an SW Motech rack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvhOkWpxWhU

Yeah I know, it's a KLR not a V-Strom but you get the idea.

Last edited by Rossco; 08-02-11 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Lifer

Bah! Stop appealing to my inner cheapskate.

Budget is.. uh.. uh.. How much before the missus throws me out?!

I know you can DIY pelicans on. I hear you can cheap out even further use knock off bags too.

Would any of you local strom-types mind showing me your pannier setup sometime?

Garandman, I know you run Jesse panniers. Impressed with them, I think they are near the top of my list. They seem like probably the most secure, semi permanent option. Also like the fact that they don't make the bike 10' wide.

RandyO, you've got Caribou cases (pelicans), no? Which size? I've seen your comments that their solution is worth the money not having to spend hours upon hours hacking something together. I think I agree.

Been trying to wade through the bajillion threads on stromtrooper.com, kinda feel like I need to touch n' feel.

There isn't a local retailer that sells this stuff, is there?
    Micatech aluminum side-opening bags are made in Hillsborough, NH. They weren't available when I bought the Jesses.

http://micatech.net/photo-gallery/suzuki

I know I don't have a Strom, but I strongly advise against side opening cases. They are much harder to cram full, which will make any long trips MUCH less pleasant as you have to fight with them every time you are trying to pack up. You also don't have to worry about stuff shifting and then some stuff falling out whenever you open your cases (yes I used the retaining straps, no they didn't help much). Granted my experience is with the stock Triumph clam shells, but I have heard this advice from others before and now I know. I didn't care when I first got the bike, as I was coming from soft luggage and was just happy I didn't have to deal with that anymore (soft luggage was a pain on my one week trip, they kept shifting and I was worried because I couldn't lock them). If you have the option between top opening and side opening, go with the top opening. I'm sure some will disagree, that's just how I feel about it.

My experience with the soft bags was a 1 week 3,000 mile trip on a naked SV, my experience with the clam shells was a 2 week 4,400 mile trip on the Sprint. The hard bags were an amazing improvement and I wouldn't ever hesitate to get hard bags for any long street oriented trip, even with how much they cost. They are absolutely worth it.

Last edited by NobodySpecific; 08-02-11 at 08:56 PM.
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Side versus top opening is a religious argument. The side opening fans like the fact you can load the whole top of the bike and still access the bags. Also the Micatech ones are hinged part way up: they're not like most side opening cases. And a lot of side opening bags will hold a helmet, something few top openers will do.

I like the Jesses but I think I'd like the Micatechs as well. I had Givis before and the made the bike mighty wide but were convenient to detach and carry.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-02-11 at 08:26 PM.

I agree with Keith -- top-opening cases all the way. Gravity should help you pack your cases, not hinder you.

For what it's worth, this can apply to soft bags too. My waterproof Wolfman roll-top ones are much more convenient to use, for example, than my side-opening Motopak ones.

Edit: if you want to use Pelican cases, you're not limited to side-loaders. The 1430 and 1440 cases are top-loaders, and I've seen reports of them being used very successfully on bikes.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 08-02-11 at 08:31 PM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Lifer

If it works for the Johnny Law, right?

Edit: For my own edification, I think these are Pelican 1430's.

Last edited by nhbubba; 08-02-11 at 09:09 PM.

Wow, a Police-Strom? I wonder where that is... and why more police departments don't use Wee-Stroms. I would think they'd make ideal police bikes.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Wow, a Police-Strom? I wonder where that is... and why more police departments don't use Wee-Stroms. I would think they'd make ideal police bikes.

--mark
    The only real problem I see is that they aren't very intimidating...Not as bad as pulling up on a scooter, but not quite the presence that a big Harley has. I do feel like it would be a much more useful bike though.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

I have used my ventura luggage system for 20 years. I never go with a passenger.
    You should check it out I have had the bags for 20 years and only bought new brackets for the next bike.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/

I do/have side opening and yes it will puke your crap out on the street.

I also never had them truly water proof. The result is everything in the side case is in a quality garbage bag. It comes out and then I cram it in all water and filth protected.

My brother always buys the costly welded aluminum that the bike uses as a rear crash roll over bar

Last edited by Stromper; 08-03-11 at 04:34 AM.

Lifer

Wow, a Police-Strom? I wonder where that is...
    You got me thinking, and googling. I believe I have determined it is Montrose, CO.

http://naraku.net/2008/08/29/police-...rose-colorado/
    http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-sp...e-v-strom.html

Luggage rack definitely looks like the SW-MOTECH. Possibly an older kit?

I think I've (once again) changed my mind and decided I'm going for a set of pelicans (or knockoffs) semi permanently bolted to somebody's rack kit using whatever hardware I can find at the home center. Bike's already ugly, right..

Last edited by nhbubba; 08-03-11 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    Oh come on, for us short guys seat height is 1/2 the adventure of adventure bikes! (me 5'6", 28 inch inseam)
    This made me chuckle. Im in a similar boat with my Versys. Did you go the Speedy's route and lower it?

And is that cop a squid since he's got short sleeves and no real riding boots on?

E

Signatures stink

--mark
    They're common in South America and somewhat less so in Europe.

They have the one thing that a lot of PD's are looking for these days: ABS brakes.

Beverly MA used to have a 1980's BMW GS as a police bike. They used it to chase kids on dirt bikes. I think Montrose was after something that could do the same and there is a Suzuki dealer there.

Lifer

The posts I linked say the bike is not an ABS model. They say it was 'donated' by the local Zuki dealer. At that price, I am sure the dept didn't do much cross shopping.

I think I've (once again) changed my mind and decided I'm going for a set of pelicans (or knockoffs) semi permanently bolted to somebody's rack kit using whatever hardware I can find at the home center. Bike's already ugly, right..
    Another option (which I also happen to think suits the Wee-Strom's looks) is to go with 40mm ammo cans.

More info:
    http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-...-panniers.html

Biggest advantage is that they're cheap -- the ammo cans can be had for $20 each. Drawback is that they're heavy, about 20lbs per side.

Another option would be to go with Mermite cans instead of the ammo cans -- these are military-surplus food-transportation cases, and they're a little harder to find, but they're lighter weight, especially once you remove the insulation inside.

Instructions: http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...20project.html
    http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23913

--mark

I that the 1550 pelicans with my Caribou system

originally, I wanted aluminum panniers for the looks, then I started researching

pelican cases don't dent or rip in a crash, quite the opposite, they act as frame sliders and there less $$

now caribou has a larger case option, not pelican though, but I think the 45l side cases fit a helmet, I know the tmcgee has both sizes for his

the inner liners are also a nice convenience, but you have to determine it the price is worth it

sure my cases are side loaders when mounted to the bike, only takse a twist of the latch and you can take it off lay it sideways and load from the top

with top loaders, if you want to get at something on the bottom, there is no way around unloading everything

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Like Garandman says, top-load vs side is a religious thing.

Fortunately I'm somewhat agnostic!

Seriously though, I see the pros and cons of each style. Wasn't really what I was getting into. Am more interested in the actual quality of these parts. Seems like most of them are pretty good though.

Did some more reading last night. Basically boiled it down to an affordable, decent quality rack set, probably the SW-MOTECH kit, with some pelican or knock-offs bolted to 'em. Nothing fancy, probably done for less than $400.

Ammo cans are cool, especially painted black. But they are simply way too large (and heavy!) for me. I'd really like something that kept the width under 40" across. I was actually leaning Givi E21's for a bit. But I think the pelican 1430-their smaller top loaders-would do just as well for less. At this kind of money I can afford fancier, bigger cases for longer trips and save these for commuting.

Meh, we'll see.

Seems the Seahorse cases are made in the USA! Anybody happen to know where Pelicans are made?

I'd really like something that kept the width under 40" across.
    width of the caribou system with 1550s is 38½-39", as you have discovered, you can put a decent system together for less, the caribou has its conveniences, 1 key fits all, no brainer installing it, and prolly the best feature is one you don't see, support from Roger

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON