Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Opinions on V-Stroms

Re: Opinions on V-Stroms

stay away from the 1000, one should not have to remap the ECU or machine the clutch basket to make a bike run decent

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    stay away from the 1000, one should not have to remap the ECU or machine the clutch basket to make a bike run decent
    Part of the reason I haven't looked that way yet, I've heard too many bad things about it. The 650 seems rock solid though.

Lifer

The new Vee is a totally different animal in that respect. All reviews I've read are glowing. There seemed to be an initial rush, then the hype died and nobody bought them. I spied a barely used gen 2 DL1000 on cl not long ago.

Can't say enough good things about my (1st gen) wee. I am starting to itch for more power. But other than that it is the quintessential does-it-all machine. Comfortable everywhere from the super-slab to the WMNF fire roads.

My only caution would be powah. The 650 really will do anything you ask of it and then some 1-up. 2-up with gear it may start to pale. Especially if you just climbed off a 600cc supersport.

Soooooooo many aftermarket options for luggage and goodies. You can customize it as almost anything from a sport tourer to a real round-the-world wannabee. Parts are cheap 'n easy to get. Insurance is low. Cops and thieves basically ignore it.

Honestly the BMW GSes don't entice me at all. Just too much bloody money.
    The Tiger 800 is nice. Arguably the sweet spot displacement wise. But I simply prefer the V-twin engine config.
    I test rode a Yami super10 last year. Did not care for it. Bike felt tall and engine was gravely. Got back on my 'strom and it felt so much more playful, smooth.

This year I want to demo a gen 2 DL1000 and a KTM 1190 ADV. Only two bikes I'd consider letting go of my DL650 for right now.

It's the goldilocks of the adv market.

I love the 800gs. I was all set to but a new one, and my 990 popped up.
    Like the wee, the 800 is not really a stellar 2 up machine. But for solo adventuring, it had my eyes shining.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

There were MANY Vees DL1000 that just tooled along with many many thousands of miles with NO modifications

MODIFICATIONS do benefit the original Vee but none are really necessary.

To my surprise though the clutch vibration we call chudder is still possible on the VEE2 and other Suzis improved but not eliminated

I also have seen VEE2 in the mid 10K cash and carry

I did my MODS for like $250 smooth and well handling

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

My DL650 needed a $1k rear shock and about $250 and a weekend of my time thrown into the forks. And a seat. I hear the Gen2 650 is about the same suspension wise, maybe a bit better in the seat department.

DL1k is cartridge forks.. so much more expensive to make suck less.

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    I know all 3 options are capable of handling it, but am unsure if I go with the Wee if I will kick myself for not spending the little extra bit. I haven't really looked at the Vee too much.
    I test rode an R1200GS before I bought my second VStrom. And test rode an F800GS and Tiger 800XC. Spent some money on suspension upgrades.

The 800's are "Too big to be small and too small to be big." VStroms cut some corners but that engine is an overachiever.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    The 800's are "Too big to be small and too small to be big."
    I don't really understand this. Yes, the Suzi v-twin is a great engine. I'm a huge fan. But I have no doubts that the Tiger 800 spanks the 'strom 650 in almost every spec except price. It's more powerful. It's faster. It has better suspension out of the box. Better fit and finish. Way, way better brakes. And it's even lighter. It's only problems are that it isn't a V-twin, it's 'spensive, and it's a euro brand (therefore parts and service are more costly and harder to get). The 800's are a damned nice compromise. Suzuki should make one!

My wee strom definitely needed some things to make it rideable. The windscreen and mirrors create a horrible buffeting for anyone in the 6'+ range. The stock seat is gross too.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

Mirrors are awful. OE Aprilia mirrors bolt right up, work 100x better and look 1000x better. I forget I had put those on.
    I get by with the stock screen.

I bought those mirrors, then got the madstad windscreen bracket, I'll find out if those work to get rid of it when the snow is clear. Hopefully soon.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Like I said, it's still a bit of dreaming at this point, but it gives me some thoughts to ponder. Ideally I'd go for something orange (990 or 1190), but I don't see those being too comfy for a passenger, and at the end of the day is probably a little more dirt biased than I need. I'm not going to be traveling across the country, but I like to keep the 2-up comfort in mind for taking a 2-300 mile day. Although I guess anything has to be better than riding on the back of the CBR.

I'm sure it will come down to what I feel I can afford. When I get more serious I'll have to take a ride down to Second Wind or somewhere and fondle a couple different bikes.

considering all the adventure bikes out there, I kinda like the Moto Guzzi Stelvio the best, the only thing that stops me is the limited dealer network in the US

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Used 990's are kind of like unicorns. Or maybe ponys with a paper towel roll taped to their heads; you can find 'em, but not everyday.

Check national powersports when you get serious as well. Top price, but damned clean looking machines. They usually have several adv styled toys in stock.
    Here's a real pooper of one : 2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM 650 W/ABS - National Powersports Distributors - 1-603-410-4120

My Wee with the Russel Day Long is the most comfortable long distance/around town/fun exploring bike I've ever owned.

Brakes are fine, even stock, as long as you aren't Bubs with his mush-lever-ABS mystery bike. I found no difference between them and the Tiger on my test ride.

I'd two up the shit out of that Wee as long as you and your lady friends aren't porkers. It does everything I ask it in stride.

I haven't replaced my rear shock. Honestly don't think I need to. If you are under two bills, I wouldn't bother. Front end emulators and springs help a bunch and are cheap.

Rox Risers bringing the bar up and back 1.5" plus a custom made for your butt seat makes all the difference in the world. Madstad is important, as are the Aprilia mirrors. Only expensive upgrade is the seat.

I have a cheapie locking top box on mine. It stays on there 98% of the time. Also acts as a backrest for the passenger.

All told, with upgrades to ergo, new custom seat, springs/emulators, decent tires (PR4's now, LOVE them on this thing), Madstad and mirrors, I'm still in under $4k. That includes what I paid for the bike.

I'm at ~30k. I have had nothing break ever. Reliable as the sunrise.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Check national powersports when you get serious as well. Top price, but damned clean looking machines. They usually have several adv styled toys in stock.
    Yeah, they're one of the places I browse pretty often since they always have a good variety. They've got three Wee's on there right now.

They seem to have picked up Triumph too (or bought someone's leftover stock), since they have a bunch of new ones.

Lifer

They are a Triumph dealer now. You're seeing their new stock. Note the 0 miles.

Looking got me googling the new Tiger 800 XCx.. with cruise control and WP suspension. At some point they are going to make that thing so good I just won't care about the type of engine!

I'll throw in a dissenting opinion.

I put 40,000 miles on my Wee-Strom before I bought my Tiger 800 XC and sold the Wee to my dad. The Wee was a good bike and did what I needed it to at the time.

Meanwhile I've put 67,000 miles on my Tiger. And while visiting the parents, I've taken the Wee out for a few rides, so I've been able to compare directly. To say the Tiger is a better bike is the understatement of the year. It's not even a comparison. The Wee is a budget bike in every way -- primitive suspension, uninspired handling, appalling brakes. The Tiger is a far more fun and engaging bike to ride in bone stock form. It has personality where the Wee is bland and generic; it handles superbly even with the 21" front wheel (and that big front wheel is a benefit not only off pavement, but also on the decayed, broken pavement we've got all over Vermont); and in the dirt the Tiger is FAR superior.

For a while after I sold the Wee to my dad (and he failed to take it out and ride it), I thought occasionally that maybe I should buy it back as a winter bike. I no longer think that. No point. When I've ridden the Wee while visiting the parents, I've found myself wishing I was on the Tiger every time.

Believe me, the Tiger is worth the extra money.

--mark

PS: Both bikes were completely trouble-free for me. Neither one has needed anything but the usual consumables. Although my dad did have to get the Wee's fork seals replaced shortly after he bought it (at 67k, the Tiger's fork seals are still fine).

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

I did not read this thread so take this for what it is. Do you like Toyota's, Honda's, and reliable machines that are inexpensive to maintain? Get a V-Strom. They are great bikes but they are not exciting. I do wish I had kept my DL1000 for the role of "utility knife".

Current: Looking.
    Previous: 2002 YZF-600R, 2006 DL1000, 2011 GSX-R 750, 2009 FZ1, 2008 1098, 2007 VFR800, 2013 DRZ, 2014 1190 Adventure, 2016 Africa Twin, 2008 WR250X, 2012 FZ1, 2017 KTM SD-GT

The Tiger 1050 and getting a WR250R was a much better choice for me. Bonking a $12,000 bike off rocks is disquieting, and I can pick the WR250R up myself - usually.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-06-15 at 06:59 AM.

Shouldn't you consider tiger 800 vs the 2014 1K strom VEE2 because real world $$$ are they not the same ???

My Vee is an 06 see no need to trade... maybe ever

I will say plus1 for adventure bikes on real world New England roads if you want to go fast

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Shouldn't you consider tiger 800 vs the 2014 1K strom VEE2 because real world $$$ are they not the same ???

My Vee is an 06 see no need to trade... maybe ever

I will say plus1 for adventure bikes on real world New England roads if you want to go fast
    If I'm going that much money, it would be either the 800xc or 800gs (most likely the Tiger). The appeal of the Wee is that it's considerably cheaper...

And yeah, after 60k miles on the CBR, I definitely see the appeal of a touring/adv bike, especially with most of the riding I do. The CBR isn't going anywhere though.

Lifer

At that price point, why not a gen 2 DL1000?

IMO sport bikes have very limited use on public roads. You can do 98% of what they can on a sport tourer or one of these ADV toys. But you can't say the opposite is true.

Goldilocks.

Last edited by nhbubba; 03-06-15 at 09:56 AM.

Buying a used Wee would mean enough leftover to buy a nice woods toy or trackbike.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I know there is going to be more than a few of the "Gen 1" Tiger 800's available as those new XCx and XRx versions with cruise control and a few other desirable upgrades are bought up by current riders of the 2011-2014 bikes.

Mine isn't going anywhere for at least a year, probably two. But I do want one of those new ones for that cruise control.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black