Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Opinions on V-Stroms

Re: Opinions on V-Stroms

Single track trails 21 inch front rim and under 450 pounds usually less than 650 single

Stroms and others SUV as in up to fire roads and jeep trails but also have done 500 miles on 2 lanes in a day
    BUT much more real world on poor quality real roads in New England

Latest issue of Motorcyclist does NOT even consider dirt performance part of the Adventure bike catagory so they really are
    now just regular motorcycles

There is also relative size If you are 6'6" and 280 pounds of muscle then a KTM 1290 is a dirt bike for normals it is a touring bike

Get a dirtbike with a tag go to patchuag leave the woman at home

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Off road requirements are slim which is why I don't consider any of the Thumpers a choice. It's a commuter and tourer first, "dual sport" second. I just like having the option available and not feeling bad when I throw mud and gravel roads at it for a couple miles. Whatever I got would get a top case for year round useability and then get side cases for touring. I haven't ridden either the Wee or the 1000 so sorry if "boring" is the wrong term. The Tiger 800 is also a solid choice that I'm considering.

Bubba- how does the DL handle two up touring? My thoughts are that if I make a drastic change I want my s/o to be comfortable and I want the bike to have some two up passing power.
    I have no idea. I've never ridden it two up. I'm unmarried these days.
    I've read of plenty of people doing it just fine. Here is a really great ride report of a couple going from Texas to Alaska and back on one. They seemed okay.
    If you've ever watched any of the "by way of motorcycle" vids on youtube. They bought KLRs to go to Alaska and back. He confessed in one of the after-action videos that he hated the KLR and would have much rather done it on a DL650. They were both riding solo though.
    The seat on my 1st gen isn't great. The passenger part is wide and likely more comfortable than most. But the rider portion is cut all wrong and sucks after 4-ish hours in the saddle. Keep a couple hundred in reserve and get yourself a seat concepts kit. Better foam, better shape, fixes much.

Your description matches the 'strom pretty nicely. The bike shines on maintained dirt roads and 55 MPH state highways. It's okay on 65+ MPH interstates. It's a pain in the ass on rutted, rocky trails. I've done a couple NH class VI roads (unmaintained), but barely. It does seasonal WMNF forest roads well. I actually got mine airborne on Sandwich Notch road last summer. Although it did not like that very much.

I call mine a "middleweight-halfnaked-sport-tourer". Bike is solid, reasonably good quality. But also not so expensive that you don't dare go ride the ever-loving shit out of it.

And nobody wants to steal these things.

Biggest thing I hate about it is how much it weighs. I occasionally lust for more power. But honestly, I'd never use it. I don't need it.

If you really want ho-hum utilitarian, look at the Honda NC700. 50 hp and a redline of 6500 rpm. That's where I draw the line. DL650 is way more exciting than that. Still in the motorcycles with a heart-beat domain.

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    The thing is though, I no longer looked like I was going fast. And I haven't been nicked on the bike since 2007.
    This is a nice benefit of these "SUV" style bikes. I'm probably getting into the middle-age category and I gear up like a full fledged adventure geek. I think I've been stopped 4-5 times and ticketed once on this thing. It isn't completely invisible, but closer than a lot of sport-tourers.

On the front tire-size front. I think the 19" front is a sweet balance. The 19" still has road-worthy dynamics over a 21". Yet also rolls over potholes and crap roads better than a 17". There is a ton of rubber available for it nowadays. Nice compromise.

Have I mentioned I've done track days on mine? Nice ego boost when that 20-something punk on the GSXR compliments you after you pass him.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Personally, I've got a wicked hardon for the ktm 950/990/1190. They seem like a near perfect do it all. I'll keep my fingers crossed adventure version of the 690 enduro, then the wife will be mad when I buy another bike.
    Build one : KTM 690 Adventure project bike - part 1 - Canada Moto Guide

Biggest problem I have with that is that it is a thumper. KTM needs to make a 650-800cc V-twin like yesterday. A half-sized 1190ADV 1290 super-adv. That'd get me to part with some money very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I'm not sure the ktm would either.
    KTM 1190 ADV spec's out at like 150HP. How would that be wanting 2-up?

I was talking about the 9x0.
    Not for lust of raw power (even though it won't rip your arms off) but suspension fully laden.
    Someday when I'm done spending money on other bs, I'll do the 990 boingers proper.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The more I look at it, the more a Ducati Scrambler makes sense. 75 HP, 405 lbs, available in a more dirt oriented configuration.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

I think the 'dirt oriented' Scrambler config is mostly superficial. I love the idea of an air-cooled twin and will tell anyone that asks that I think 700-900cc is the sweet spot for engine size. But only +10 HP and +5 ftlbs... kind of meh. Everything I've read says the Ducati Monster 796 they sourced that engine from typically stacks up against the SV650. It is like 80 lbs lighter than the portly 'strom though. Like I said, biggest problem is the weight.
    Would need a boat-load of aftermarket support. Screens. Luggage. Yadda yadda.
    Is there a lot of rubber choices available for the 18" front on the scrambler?

Whole thing seems form over function. V-Strom is the antithesis of that.

Really, I need one of each. At least.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I was talking about the 9x0.
    Not for lust of raw power (even though it won't rip your arms off) but suspension fully laden.
    Someday when I'm done spending money on other bs, I'll do the 990 boingers proper.
    Understood. I want to ride a 990 someday.. or an 1190. On paper I like the 1190 better than almost anything out there. In reality I don't need that much bike or to spend that much on a bike.
    Any time I get serious about ditching my 'strom I remind myself that I'm not unhappy with the bike in any way, just looking to fix something that ain't broke.

Lifer

I just brought up the wiki entry for the DL650. They now list the "class" as "Middleweight Sport Touring". Spot on, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Understood. I want to ride a 990 someday.. or an 1190. On paper I like the 1190 better than almost anything out there. In reality I don't need that much bike or to spend that much on a bike.
    Any time I get serious about ditching my 'strom I remind myself that I'm not unhappy with the bike in any way, just looking to fix something that ain't broke.
    The door is always open.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

typically stacks up against the SV650. It is like 80 lbs lighter than the portly 'strom though.
    the nekid SV650 IS a much better off road bike than the V-strom, modify it with a 19" or 21" front hoop and it would be even better

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    the nekid SV650 IS a much better off road bike than the V-strom, modify it with a 19" or 21" front hoop and it would be even better
    I don't think so. I think the Vstrom is superior in all aspects other than size/weight/plastic bits. It soaks up bumps better, geometry/ergo's is better suited for slow speed maneuvering, more stable on dirt roads.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I don't think so. I think the Vstrom is superior in all aspects other than size/weight/plastic bits. It soaks up bumps better, geometry/ergo's is better suited for slow speed maneuvering, more stable on dirt roads.
    off road, not dirt road

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I still stand by my statement. When I go exploring, I much prefer to be on my Wee than my SV for when the road stops being a road. Just the wide/high bars and bigger front wheel make a huge difference when lugging through rocks and nasty sections. Plus the motor seems a bit less touchy, easier to feather the clutch and work over obstacles.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

^ that's a dirt road.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Lifer

Randy's SV did 10,000 miles/day @ 120 MPH in perfect comfort was the cure for cancer.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think the 'dirt oriented' Scrambler config is mostly superficial. I love the idea of an air-cooled twin and will tell anyone that asks that I think 700-900cc is the sweet spot for engine size. But only +10 HP and +5 ftlbs... kind of meh. Everything I've read says the Ducati Monster 796 they sourced that engine from typically stacks up against the SV650. It is like 80 lbs lighter than the portly 'strom though. Like I said, biggest problem is the weight.
    Would need a boat-load of aftermarket support. Screens. Luggage. Yadda yadda.
    Is there a lot of rubber choices available for the 18" front on the scrambler?

Whole thing seems form over function. V-Strom is the antithesis of that.

Really, I need one of each. At least.
    Dunno, this guy seemed to have a good impression off road.
    https://youtu.be/bOsLG-blzVQ

I'd opt for the spoked wheels myself. Basically, direct competitors are Street Triple, FZ-07, Gladius, and a few others. This one seems to bridge the gap a bit more towards dirt if you're so inclined. I could definitely see this as being my "do all" Colorado machine, keeping the KDX for pure trail duty, of course.

You and all the rest of the hipster hacks its marketed for...

Ducati can say what they want, that is not a dual sport. I like it (in black) but it's not a dual sport.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Never said it was a dual sport. Neither is a V-Storm. Or a 990 Adv.

Lifer

I had a much higher opinion of that MotoGeo guy 10 minutes ago. Buy the guy a retro trucker hat and he'll say anything on camera apparently.

It weighs like 2 lbs less than an SV650. I guess Randy called it.. SV650 is the dual-sport of dual-sports. MotoGeo guy just backed him up!

All ass-hattery aside, I like the Scrambler a lot more than I'd care to admit. Ducati is gonna sell a boat-load of them and I can't wait for them to hit the used market.
    Just not for playing off pavement.

Although that video just taught me that they did the cheapo Honda trick and only gave it one front brake. Booo!

Come on bubs, you can get down with flat brimmed trucker hats. All the V-Storm guys are doing it.

In all seriousness, I think it's pretty well established that a single rotor front is plenty of brakes for most situations.

Last edited by loudbeard; 03-23-15 at 05:42 PM.

It weighs like 2 lbs less than an SV650. I guess Randy called it.. SV650 is the dual-sport of dual-sports.
    don't twist words into something I never said

I never said the SV is a dual sport, only said that it was better off road that a V-strom, doesn't take much, the V-strom is a pig

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Never said it was a dual sport. Neither is a V-Storm. Or a 990 Adv.
    No, they eluded to it. I guess it depends what your idea of do it all is.
    I like the bike, for the record. I dont dig on the marketing schtick.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

It weighs like 2 lbs less than an SV650. I guess Randy called it.. SV650 is the dual-sport of dual-sports.
    don't twist words into something I never said

I never said the SV is a dual sport, only said that it was better off road that a V-strom, doesn't take much, the V-strom is a pig

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I have a KTM 690 Enduro R. It's intoxicating, but it's a giant thumper and it vibrates like one.

I've ridden DL650's and I find them to be boring. But it's a great value option.
    If you don't mind spending a little more money, I'd try a KTM 990 and a Tiger 800 and pick the motor you like best.
    Bubba and I are opposites: he loves V-twins and I love Triples.
    Both are awesome and there's really no telling until you ride them.

I'd also check out a Ducati Hypermotard.
    I really hope Triumph decides to make something to compete with the hyper based on the Street Triple.

Randy's SV did 10,000 miles/day @ 120 MPH in perfect comfort was the cure for cancer.
    Then replaced with a DL1000, which he has now ranked on for almost 10 years. It "didn't rear its ugly side for three years." He didn't notice the lousy fueling, lousy gearing, the extra 40 lbs on the front wheel which makes the thing wallow like a pig on soft surfaces, or the marginal wattage available for accessories. All discovered on a five mile test ride, or in reading the endless online comments comparing it to the GS [fxd for NHBB].

I had two DL650's and would buy another, but the WR250R has worked out great for me. I'm too weak and unskilled to take a 500+ lb bike on trails,: picking up the 330 lb WR on a steep trail is hard enough.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-24-15 at 09:25 AM.