Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast

Opinions on V-Stroms

Re: Opinions on V-Stroms

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Qube View Post
    can the alternator be upgraded?
    Not that I'm aware of, but frankly, I think the alternator concerns are a little blown out of proportion. It's got no problem powering heated grips, a heated vest, GPS, and radar detector; personally, I haven't found any need for more. Just make sure you get an '08+ model -- '07s and earlier had lower alternator output by 20 or 30 watts.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Qube View Post
    can the alternator be upgraded?
    Not easily.

All motorcycle lighting can be better.

But only a small minority feel the need to add auxiliary lighting.The V-Strom comes with one of the best stock lighting systems of any bike sold. It's kind of funny to follow around a bunch of $18,000 European hardware all day, then be invited to lead them back to the campground once it gets dark. Don't take my word for it: just look at every V-Strom you see and you won't find many with additional lights. The stock wiring goes through the switch and causes a big voltage drop: I've purchased a harness that uses relays drawn directly from the battery and uses the switch only for switching.

With the stock setup you can run both headlights, heated vest, and heated grips. If you want to run heated grips and two vests, you can disconnect one headlight, or switch the running lights to LEDs, or both. The harness to make one headlight switchable is $14, plug and play. With the stock alternator you have 100 -150 watts to play with, depending on year, model, and who you talk to. Heated grips use about 30 watts. Gerbing says their jacket uses 77 watts. Shut off one headlight and you have another 55 watts available. Do you plan to run heated grips and two vests? BTW the bike comes pre-wired with a pigtail for heated grips.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bike I personally think is most directly competitive, the BMW F650GS.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-20-10 at 01:15 PM.

That dudes bike is gross.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    That dudes bike is gross.
    She lives in VT, and it never fails to elicit opinion. She says that at BMW meets, half the people are like "The battery/alternator/wiring/switches will never last, and the other half are "Hmm, how can I do that, only add maybe another pair?"

The Collective conspires at Cromag. Two years ago there were three. This year there were 12.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-20-10 at 01:17 PM.

I can't be the only one here who likes the KLR650. I've had a chance to ride the KLR (the newer '07+ model), a weestrom, and a G650GS over the past couple of years for some weekend rides, and I've gotta say the KLR was by far my favorite. It felt lighter/nimbler on the rough stuff when it counted, and it was so much fun both off and on-road. It'll definitely carry you on at freeway speeds, and loaded with luggage, it makes an awesome touring mount. It's the best-selling bike in the category, so I know there are plenty of owners out there...there's got to be at least a couple on this forum.

I guess you have to consider your priorities, because the road/dirt ratio for the usefulness of these bikes has to be something like 80/20 for rigs like the weestrom, and 40/60 for the KLR650. You've already got a road bike, and you said this was going to be a second bike...so why buy another road bike? I'd rather take the one that's built for the "adventure" part...it was just more fun. Not to mention the 20+ years of aftermarket accessories backlog will keep you customizing for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Not that I'm aware of, but frankly, I think the alternator concerns are a little blown out of proportion. It's got no problem powering heated grips, a heated vest, GPS, and radar detector; personally, I haven't found any need for more. Just make sure you get an '08+ model -- '07s and earlier had lower alternator output by 20 or 30 watts.

--mark
    That sounds like just about what I would be running at the most. Good to know it can handle it.

Starting with the garbage suspension, hopefully.
    I'm going to say that the klr and wee aren't necessarily in the same category. I do agree with the concept of figuring out what your "ratio" would be, and going from there.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Starting with the garbage suspension, hopefully.
    I'm going to say that the klr and wee aren't necessarily in the same category. I do agree with the concept of figuring out what your "ratio" would be, and going from there.
    The suspension and brakes were drastically improved on the newer KLRs, but you're right...although the same can really be said about the stock suspension on most adv bikes (short of a bimmer/katoom). It's already been mentioned here several times about the weestrom.

And while there is a line that has to be blurred when comparing the two, they both do still fall into the ever-growing "adventure touring" category.

For the money, you can't beat it. FWIW though, if money were no object I'd be running to a Yamaha dealer to put a down payment on a Super Tenere, no question.

I'm hoping by the time that thing actually gets here, there'll be a few 800gs and 990adv around a lil cheaper. I need something I can thrash.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    I can't be the only one here who likes the KLR650. I've had a chance to ride the KLR (the newer '07+ model), a weestrom, and a G650GS over the past couple of years for some weekend rides, and I've gotta say the KLR was by far my favorite. It felt lighter/nimbler on the rough stuff when it counted, and it was so much fun both off and on-road. It'll definitely carry you on at freeway speeds, and loaded with luggage, it makes an awesome touring mount. It's the best-selling bike in the category, so I know there are plenty of owners out there...there's got to be at least a couple on this forum.

I guess you have to consider your priorities, because the road/dirt ratio for the usefulness of these bikes has to be something like 80/20 for rigs like the weestrom, and 40/60 for the KLR650. You've already got a road bike, and you said this was going to be a second bike...so why buy another road bike? I'd rather take the one that's built for the "adventure" part...it was just more fun. Not to mention the 20+ years of aftermarket accessories backlog will keep you customizing for a long time.
    Not sure where you find data saying it's the best selling bike in the category? Many, many V-Strom owners owned or own KLR's. You can find many threads on stromtrooper and advrider of why we've moved on. They (07+) can be purchased absolutely dirt cheap because of the oil consumption issues and other reasons.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-20-10 at 02:42 PM.

I'm hoping by the time that thing actually gets here, there'll be a few 800gs and 990adv around a lil cheaper. I need something I can thrash.
    Deliveries start in May (they've been taking deposits since last month), so you've got 7 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Many, many V-Strom owners owned or own KLR's. You can find many threads on stromtrooper and advrider of why we've moved on.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'd like to read into some of the reasons. Hopefully I won't see a lot of "I need to carry a passenger" disguised by misplaced reasoning.

7 months...meyalright. 24 months is probably more realistic for me. I gots racing to do.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I was told today of a weestrom 650 for sale

Friend of a friend so ONLY if you think you are ready to move then PM me. Allegedly the bike was got instead of payment for some job and has pretty much sat for a while. Also some babble about trading it for a sled

BTW, according to this poll, no V-Strom has ever been stolen in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    BTW, according to this poll, no V-Strom has ever been stolen in North America.
    Pretty sure no one ever stole an Edsel either.

In order of what you should do.... First plan out what your NEEDS really really really are.

KLR650 is plenty capable, but it's a bit lax in comfort.
    DL650 is heavy, yet nimble, but you'll outgrow the power quickly.
    F800GS is expensive, but will be more comfortable than the above.
    Multistrata and Tigers (955 and 1050) are both 80% road, 20% off depending on your modifications... and are the best dual-sports you can buy... they offer class-leading power and comfort out the wazoo...

I would suggest looking at a used DL1000...

"Life is a tour, not a race... just stay out of my way when I'm touring!"

Quote Originally Posted by Danny500 View Post
    KLR650 is plenty capable, but it's a bit lax in comfort.
    DL650 is heavy, yet nimble, but you'll outgrow the power quickly.
    F800GS is expensive, but will be more comfortable than the above.
    Are you serious?

You say a KLR is plenty capable and then go on to say a DL650 is underpowered? The KLR is a slug compared to the Wee-Strom (and, by the way, is not a whole lot lighter than the Strom).

And then you say an F800GS is more comfortable? Have you actually ridden either an F800GS or a Wee-Strom? Because I have, and I can assure you, the Strom is much more comfortable.

I do agree though that the Tiger 955 would be a great choice (the 1050 and the Multistrada, not so much, as they're really just upright sportbikes with their 17" front wheels).

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 10-25-10 at 10:31 PM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

I had my 1000 ecu remapped and put the snorkel on the shelf

It was great supercruising from 2300 to 5500 rpms in 4th gear.

Be bopping down small roads and the foliage.

I had just thought that this is perfect AND then God said "let there be rock"

I am thinking that I was guilty of not checking air pressure

I would emphatically recommend the DL 1000 once the map is sorted out or power commander

Lifer

New poster, digging up an old thread here. I've been asking 'round on some of the forums across the net re: 'stroms, but I like the idea of hearing from fellow New Englanders.

'Been riding a while, about 17 years now. Just parted ways with a Bandit 1200. Fine bike, but not entirely for me. Too much of nearly everything, but not enough wind protection or comfort.

Had my heart set on getting an SV650 with the understanding that it would be strictly for local rides on the weekend. The regular SV (now Gladius) is too naked for highway riding for me, and the versions with the fairings are too race-bike with the ergonomics.

Plan B was to get a heavy sport tourer; ST1300, FJR, or Concours. Then I saw the price tags and realized I'd have to settle for an older version; ST1100, C10, etc. I really want to go for something EFI this time around. I have had enough of carbs.

I'm on a budget: $4k for the bike, probably stretched to $5k. I could go higher, but I don't want to. Bikes are supposed to be cheap fun.

Then someone turned me onto the V-Strom. Seems perfect: SV engine + upright ergos and a screen for highway and light touring. I know its marketed as a dual sport, but that doesn't mean I actually have to really ride it off road or anything, right? Garandman (via a discussion on another forum) convinced me the upsized front wheel and 'trailie' suspension are probably suited for our craptastic New England highways too.

I mulled over the other cheapie alternatives: Kawi Versys, Ninja 650R, SVs, etc. Keep coming back to the 'strom: V-twin balance, simplicity, nice ergos, tons of accessories.

Okay, I'm sold. I want a V-Strom.

Now I'm just mulling over the finer points of DL1000 vs DL650, ABS vs not, used vs new, etc. That and watching CL very closely!

Just sold my 2006 DL1000.

These guys have it - http://mutualent.com/

Factory three case Givi, factory heated grips, tall and stock screens, new Michelin's, 11600 miles. Never dropped.

It was in beautiful shape. I was just tired of it and wanted something different.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Now I'm just mulling over the finer points of DL1000 vs DL650, ABS vs not, used vs new, etc. That and watching CL very closely!
    Tons of them over on ADV rider for good deals with tons of farkles already done.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya One View Post
    Just sold my 2006 DL1000.

These guys have it - http://mutualent.com/
    Saw it on CL and cycletrader. Price seems kind of steep, but then you had a crapload of toys on there.

Why'd you part with it?

Seems I need to go check ADVRider.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    New poster, digging up an old thread here. I've been asking 'round on some of the forums across the net re: 'stroms, but I like the idea of hearing from fellow New Englanders.

'Been riding a while, about 17 years now. Just parted ways with a Bandit 1200. Fine bike, but not entirely for me. Too much of nearly everything, but not enough wind protection or comfort.

Had my heart set on getting an SV650 with the understanding that it would be strictly for local rides on the weekend. The regular SV (now Gladius) is too naked for highway riding for me, and the versions with the fairings are too race-bike with the ergonomics.

Plan B was to get a heavy sport tourer; ST1300, FJR, or Concours. Then I saw the price tags and realized I'd have to settle for an older version; ST1100, C10, etc. I really want to go for something EFI this time around. I have had enough of carbs.

I'm on a budget: $4k for the bike, probably stretched to $5k. I could go higher, but I don't want to. Bikes are supposed to be cheap fun.

Then someone turned me onto the V-Strom. Seems perfect: SV engine + upright ergos and a screen for highway and light touring. I know its marketed as a dual sport, but that doesn't mean I actually have to really ride it off road or anything, right? Garandman (via a discussion on another forum) convinced me the upsized front wheel and 'trailie' suspension are probably suited for our craptastic New England highways too.

I mulled over the other cheapie alternatives: Kawi Versys, Ninja 650R, SVs, etc. Keep coming back to the 'strom: V-twin balance, simplicity, nice ergos, tons of accessories.

Okay, I'm sold. I want a V-Strom.

Buuut wait, theeeere's more!

Tomorrow Suzuki announces a "New, Middle-Class Motorcycle" that's "Time for Real Adventures." This is widely rumored to be a successor to the DL650, which has not changed appreciably since 2004.

There are threads on Stromtrooper, Advrider and all the blogs about it. Speculation has ranged from a restyled DL650A using the Gladius frame, same motor, same wheel size, and same suspension to an 800 with long travel suspension and everything in-between.

My personal guess is the Gladius steel tube frame, same 645cc motor, similar (6" travel) suspension, Gladius style five spoke alloy wheels, minimized body work up front, small windshield, etc.

Of course, Suzuki could surprise everyone. Add a twin to the DR800 and you have the middle weight adventure touring bike that everyone is clamoring for: long stroke suspension, spoked rims, etc etc.

Man, I hope the successor has Shaft drive.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!