Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Opinions on V-Stroms

Re: Opinions on V-Stroms

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    nowhere have I knocked the 650, just said it wasn't the bike for me when you started to insist that it was

what I did knock, is the 1000, it's a piece of shit
    That's why I suggested 650. It's reliability has been head and shoulders above the 1K.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    That's why I suggested 650. It's reliability has been head and shoulders above the 1K.
    you suggested that I should try one, I wasn't looking for suggestions, I was giving opinions on why not to buy a 1000

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Randy, what year is your DL1000. You bought it new, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Randy, what year is your DL1000. You bought it new, correct?
    2007, bought it new in December 2006

it was a good bike at first, didn't even have the common fueling problems, had to spend $$ to upgrade the suspension for my weight

after it got cancer from winter riding and the wire harness was replaced, only then did I start having the common fueling issues, I do not blame suzuki for the corrosion and need to replace all the sensors the first time around, I have replaced many of the sensors a second time, and the throttle position sensors a 3rd time, It's not like I was buying cheap aftermarket sensors, cause there are none available, ya hafta go with oem, and Suzuki plain and simple uses cheap ass budget bits

80k+ miles, I have had 4 charging system failures, my biggest complaint overall, and its not even Lucas, since 2009, I have had as much down time as riding time

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

I know you're going to tell me exactly how wrong I am. But I think 80k miles out of a machine ridden in snow and salt ain't half bad. If I get 80k out of my bike, I'd okay with that. And mine doesn't see salt like yours does.

Suzuki does use budget bits. That's part of why their bikes are often substantially less expensive than the others.

I do feel compelled to add that a lot of the information I got about diagnosing and repairing the stator on mine (I too am disappointed with it) came from Triumph user forums. You may be disappointed to find they use similar "budget bits" on their charging systems.

Randy

Make sure the shop you use understand about upgrading to a SERIES regulator
    More power, better control, easier on the coils

When mine gets downstairs I will be spacing the magnets with epoxy so they don't move

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I know you're going to tell me exactly how wrong I am. But I think 80k miles out of a machine ridden in snow and salt ain't half bad. If I get 80k out of my bike, I'd okay with that. And mine doesn't see salt like yours does.
    I had problem long before I hit 80k and haven't ridden in the winter since I completely replaced the wire harness and all the sensors, it has not been reliable enuf, even my summer milage is suffering. I put nearly double that milage on my SV in the same amount of time

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post

When mine gets downstairs I will be spacing the magnets with epoxy so they don't move
    I haven't pulled it apart, but this time I think is loose magnets and not burnt stator, I get erratic voltages instead of steadily draining the battery

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I like the idea and will be using a high temperature epoxy putty to space out the magnets.

I would use 1 day jbweld if any are loose but will be filling the gap between them regardless

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Well I'm going to throw this here only because I know the bike REAL well and would recommend this one to anyone I know. They seemed to have priced it fair as well.

Triumph 2011 Tiger 800 ABS

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

So I'm not going to read through this entire thread. Those who have gone from street bike to "dual sport", what are your thoughts? With 5+ tracks near by I'm thinking a track bike and a dual sport would be more suitable. Only thing a fast street bike is going to get me is more tickets, plus I'd like to be able to explore those fire road detours rather than all of the pavement New England has to offer. I looked at an F800GS yesterday. Really like that bike but it's a little expensive and I would likely need the low model. The DL650 seems utilitarian to the point of being boring....not sure I could deal with 65HP. I found a few DL1000's near by for relatively short money but reading back a little while it's discouraging to read about reliability issues.

Last edited by 01xj; 03-22-15 at 07:44 PM.

The 800gs is one of my favorites. I much prefer the 1st gen to the current one.
    I was all set to buy one before my 990 appeared.
    Thoughts overall: it's nice having a bike that will go anywhere you want. From highway miles to single track, it's just a set of rubber away. And having a 21" front means less likely to be absolutely railing street corners. Exceeding the speed limit is definitely still an option, but letting it all hang out on 17's isn't happening the same way.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

That's definitely an option but they are few and far between.

Lifer

None of the DL's are really dual sports. Two years ago I may have told you it almost was. But then I'd have been really wrong. They are way, way too heavy for real off-road work.
    I have both a DL650 and a DRZ400 in my stable right now and am dangerously close to having bike overlap. The DRZ is much more of a real dual-sport. It doesn't hold a candle to the DL650 in everyday comfort and highway manners though.

If you want a more trail capable machine you probably need to look at the big thumpers like the DR650, KLR650 or XR650 instead.

I think "utilitarian to the point of being boring" is underselling the bike. The 650 is plenty fast enough to get you in trouble, at least 1-up. 0-60 is like 4 seconds. 1/4 mile in 12.5 or something. The DL1000 is barely faster in those measures. It may have 50% more cc's, but it doesn't have 50% more performance. Get the 1k over the 650 if you are doing a shit-ton of slab or mostly 2-up. Or maybe if power wheelies are a requisite.

Really, with speed limits being what they are it doesn't matter. My DL650 doesn't hold up the group when riding with sport-bikes.

If my machine were stolen tomorrow I'd be shopping for a lightly used 2nd gen DL650 and then throw $1500 at the suspension.. basically a prettier version of what I have now.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Depends on how crazy you want to get off road I guess. You could throw more dirt oriented tires on that bike I linked above. It'll still rail corners with good street tires and that 19" wheel which is a decent compromise from the 17" and 21" front wheels.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    So I'm not going to read through this entire thread. Those who have gone from street bike to "dual sport", what are your thoughts? With 5+ tracks near by I'm thinking a track bike and a dual sport would be more suitable. Only thing a fast street bike is going to get me is more tickets, plus I'd like to be able to explore those fire road detours rather than all of the pavement New England has to offer. I looked at an F800GS yesterday. Really like that bike but it's a little expensive and I would likely need the low model. The DL650 seems utilitarian to the point of being boring....not sure I could deal with 65HP. I found a few DL1000's near by for relatively short money but reading back a little while it's discouraging to read about reliability issues.
    It's been years since I made that switch, from a Sprint RS to a Tiger 955i, then to the Tiger 800 roadie. It slowed me down on the street a bit, but not so much that I wasn't still a radar target. The thing is though, I no longer looked like I was going fast. And I haven't been nicked on the bike since 2007.

Take a trip over to Mark's Motorsports and take Jeff's ol' Tiger 800 for a spin. It'll only cost you a little time to get a feel for one.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Off road requirements are slim which is why I don't consider any of the Thumpers a choice. It's a commuter and tourer first, "dual sport" second. I just like having the option available and not feeling bad when I throw mud and gravel roads at it for a couple miles. Whatever I got would get a top case for year round useability and then get side cases for touring. I haven't ridden either the Wee or the 1000 so sorry if "boring" is the wrong term. The Tiger 800 is also a solid choice that I'm considering.

Bubba- how does the DL handle two up touring? My thoughts are that if I make a drastic change I want my s/o to be comfortable and I want the bike to have some two up passing power.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    fwiw, I drank DL1000 V-strom koolaid back in December of 06 and wish I hadn't
    Pretty sure anyone who has ever been on this board is aware of this....

I had a Harley Roadster that I didn't like and sold it three months after I bought it. I think that's what most people do with bikes they don't like: sell them. Quickly. Never understood why anyone would torture themselves.

I would have kept a DL1000 two months, fortunately I rode a couple first.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-22-15 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post

Take a trip over to Mark's Motorsports and take Jeff's ol' Tiger 800 for a spin. It'll only cost you a little time to get a feel for one.
    I second that. That bike is near mint and well maintained. It also already has a lot of the extra off road protection added. Get them to replace the rear tire with what is already on it and you'll be good to go.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Pretty sure anyone who has ever been on this board is aware of this....

I had a Harley Roadster that I didn't like and sold it three months after I bought it. I think that's what most people do with bikes they don't like: sell them. Quickly. Never understood why anyone would torture themselves.

I would have kept a DL1000 two months, fortunately I rode a couple first.
    it took mine over 3 years to rear it's bad side, I never had the common fueling problems until I had to replace the wire harness, only with the new harness did the common problems start, by then, there was no value left in the bike

I have the fueling bugs out of it again, but charging issues have come up yet again, and I have a solution to the problem that is cheaper than a new bike

RandyO
    IBA#9560

A trip to marks should be in order. That's where I bought my street triple, maybe they'll work with me.

PM me if you want the inside scoop on the bike.

Jeff

The KTM 950/990 are still the top dog for all-road riding. We park in dirt lots often at work and I took my v-strom banging around, even got a little air, after work. It is heavy, and I do ride dirty bikes regularly, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it down most dirt roads. If you are going to get into something a little more ambitious off paved, the KLR is the go-to recommendation. But, I haven't ridden one. I've heard the gs800 has some budget suspenders, as compared with the KTM. I don't know how much it takes to get them right. Personally, I've got a wicked hardon for the ktm 950/990/1190. They seem like a near perfect do it all. I'll keep my fingers crossed adventure version of the 690 enduro, then the wife will be mad when I buy another bike.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

A KLR is not even on my radar. I fully know their reputation, reliability and cult following, but for any kind of two up traveling it's not even an option. My fiance really likes riding with me so whatever I get has to be at least a step in the right direction as far as creature comforts. She is not a complainer and has put up with 10,000 miles on the back of a street triple but it needs to be an "easy sell" for me. The KTM is high on the list as well but they are tough to find. Not sure if I could swing that plus a wedding this year.

There's a few on adv.
    Both 950's and 990's.
    the 800gs isn't going to dazzle you two up. I'm not sure the ktm would either.
    If riding with a passenger was my main focus, a bigger weapon would be my ticket.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.