Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Opinions on V-Stroms

Re: Opinions on V-Stroms

Yeah, I get that it's super reliable and etc. I guess I just want to make sure that it's more comfortable for me for a ~200 mile ride than my FZ6, and more comfy 2-up.
    I'm thinking I may register my CBR in case I want to do any faster/sportier riding, so the Wee would just be for the commuting and light touring. Also, I don't really know anyone local to me that has one so I could at least throw a leg over it and see how it feels.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MattR302; 10-13-15 at 01:38 PM.

You could come ride mine, but then you'd have to get a Russel Day Long.

Once you ride with one, you'll never go back.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

My opinion just got yet lower again

fried my ignition switch last week, when it fried, one of the pins heated up and burnt back into my wiring harness a few inches

but no blown fuses, what ta fuck are fuses for aren't they suppose to protect the wiring from that kinda shit

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    Had a 2004 for a number of rock-solid commuting / occasional distance years. I added heated grips and a front fender extender, but aside from that the only maintenance was adding gas and changing the oil. I think Clayton added cartridge emulators to the front forks and got around to doing a valve check after I sold it to him, but I assume more of the same: no-hassle miles, year after year.
    Yeah, it's got something like 34k on it now. I did plugs, valve adjustment, steering head bearings and put on a ScottOiler when I got it before riding it.

Added on crash bars/skid plate, Givi racks, Caribou Cases, Russel Day Long Saddle, Rox Risers, Givi Windshield and Aprilia mirrors. As Jared mentioned, I did Racetech emulator valves and front springs.

On my way back from Bar Harbor last weekend, I had my first mechanical with the bike since I've owned it. Front sprocket shaft seal started to leak. $8. Damn unreliable costly piece of crap. What if this is what I can expect for the next 30k?

It's about due for another valve adjustment. I'll tackle it this winter. Not a bad job.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Yeah, I get that it's super reliable and etc. I guess I just want to make sure that it's more comfortable for me for a ~200 mile ride than my FZ6, and more comfy 2-up.
    I'm thinking I may register my CBR in case I want to do any faster/sportier riding, so the Wee would just be for the commuting and light touring. Also, I don't really know anyone local to me that has one so I could at least throw a leg over it and see how it feels.
    They are quite long and the seating area is huge: a lot bigger than the Tiger. It might still have the tall saddle, which is extra padding in front. People have ridden these 2-up literally to Tierra Del Fuego.

Those Jesses have a mount that can be slid forward for solo use or slid back for more legroom. Tons of room. They are now $1,280 new.

That reminds me, it has a carbon fiber exhaust as well as the stocker.

Last edited by Garandman; 10-13-15 at 03:07 PM.

I put a seat concept seat kit on before the main run and it was a good improvement for

180 dolla and about 1 hr work

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

40-something-k on mine. Was hoping to turn 50 this year, but that's not gonna happen. Too many other riding distractions this year.

Mine has been gas, oil and tires.. except the stator that died at 30-something-k. I did valves last spring in the low 40-k range. A couple of the exhaust valves were tight. Seems to be common with these engines. My SV650 race bike was in the same condition.

I also installed a Seat Concepts kit. I've sat on Clayton's day long. Just isn't worth $500 to me. The SC kit is close 'enough for my money. But then to each their own.

My thing is the suspension. I'd hold back $1500 for suspension upgrades if I were you. Transforms the bike. Bare minimum is ~$4-500 for springs and emulators for the front. But the $1000 rear is worth it too.

I've never ridden mine 2-up. But I find it very comfortable for everyday commuting and touring solo.

Did you put a heated seat kit in when you did the SC kit?? That's the cats pajamas.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I did not. My ass is hot enough as it is.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Daaaaaaaaammmmmmn!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I also installed a Seat Concepts kit. I've sat on Clayton's day long. Just isn't worth $500 to me. The SC kit is close 'enough for my money. But then to each their own.
    I would be curious to see if you rode on it for a while, or tried one that was custom made to your hot ass. I bet our two posteriors are quite different.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

It's more a question of throwing good money into a mediocre bike. At some point I'm going to part with the bike and having that kind of investment sunk would make me sad.
    Others will probably look at the money I've spent on suspension and say the same thing. It's all relative and a question of priorities. Your seat can't possibly be $500 good in my view. Not when SC makes a $169.99 kit.

That's not to say the SC kit is not great; it is. Huge improvement over stock.

And I don't understand the wings on your seat. Those would drive me nuts. I suppose you can get used to anything.. but geez.

Those are part of the reason the seat is so good.

Does it make it harder to put your feet down at stops? Sure. But you get used to it. The real difference is when you are sitting on it riding along which is how I spend the vast majority of my seat time. A good city commuter seat it is not. A off roading seat, def not. A all day street riding seat? You bet.

What the wings do is help make a dish for your ass. Spreads the weight evenly so you don't get any hot spots. Once your legs get up and your feet on the pegs, you settle into this cocoon of comfort. Supple, even, soft, supportive comfort all the way across your tender cheeks and hips. 8 hours of straight riding? No problem. 12 hours in a day? Shoulders hurt, but my ass has zero complaints. I've never owned a bike that can do HALF those times on my posterior without complaints.

The RDL's hold their value incredibly well. Even more so than an aftermarket shock from what I've seen. Wicked easy to sell one off when you decide to part with the bike. I still want an aftermarket shock for mine, but as someone who has bought a shock for other bikes, the difference in the seat is so much greater than that of the shock.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    ..the difference in the seat is so much greater than that of the shock.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

As I've said post after post, everything is relative to the one making the observation.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    It's more a question of throwing good money into a mediocre bike. At some point I'm going to part with the bike and having that kind of investment sunk would make me sad.
    Others will probably look at the money I've spent on suspension and say the same thing.//
    I think I paid $1,000 new for the ELKA and sold it on eBay for $500 or $500. Well worth it for over 20,000 miles. Oh and Kates rebuilt it for $90.

As far as seats that's real personal. I can ride he WR250R for hours even with the hard, narrow stock seat. But I'm more sensitive than most to bar and footpeg placement.

Pretty much leaning towards the 650 as a replacement for my FZ6. Any first-hand comparisons of the Gen1 to the Gen2? Plenty more deals to be found on the Gen1's, but the Gen2's I think look a little nicer. Might swing by a dealer one of these days who has both in stock to see how they feel.

Lifer

All things being equal, I'd go 2nd gen.
    Although an earlier 1st gen would be non-ABS. One problem I have had with mine is the front brake is a bitch to get a good bleed on. I blame the ABS system.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    The RDL's hold their value incredibly well. Even more so than an aftermarket shock from what I've seen. Wicked easy to sell one off when you decide to part with the bike.

they do hold their value and are easy to sell

and for the life of me, I can't understand why, RDLs are custom built for your ass, no way would I consider buying a saddle designed for Clayton's ass, before I ever considered buying a used RDL, I'd want to try it out for a long (IBA ride)day of riding.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Pretty much leaning towards the 650 as a replacement for my FZ6. Any first-hand comparisons of the Gen1 to the Gen2? Plenty more deals to be found on the Gen1's, but the Gen2's I think look a little nicer. Might swing by a dealer one of these days who has both in stock to see how they feel.
    They are improved in many ways. But the Gen 1 has nearly the same performance and the later Gen I's have the dual plug motor. I replaced my 05 with an 09 (because ABS) and that bike is for sale, with over $1,000 worth of bags for $4,300 OBO. Pretty tough to beat, value-wise. If there's ever a nuclear war the only stuff left will be coackroaches, Toyota pickups and DL650's.....

And KLR's.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

To me, a DL650 is a $3k bike.

Find one for $3k, then do whatever else needs to be done to it that best fits your needs.

I wouldn't buy one new.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I agree I would go used and do appropriate maintenance, then ride it for 40,000 to see if you like it

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Had to do some unexpected maintenance after my Bar Harbor moto camping trip.

One of the seals on the left side of the engine started leaking. Not sure if it was the output shaft, shifter shaft or clutch pushrod seal, but I'm replacing all three. Front sprocket was pretty worn too, replacing that while I have it apart.

Ugh, another $40 into this bike for 10k more miles. When will it end? Piece of junk.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

Rode mine to work today. Despite my noises of replacing it, I doubt I will. Bike fits me very, very well. Ergonomics are spot on. Loves New England roads.
    30 more HP would ... only get me more tickets.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

What's next, a battery?!?!?!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet