Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

*MY* Opinions On Track Days...

These are the ultimate way for a street rider to SAFELY push the limits of him/herself without overly endangering themselves and/or others around them. Most track days will have multiple groups, separated by skill & comfort level. You usually won't need any extreme preperation steps for most track days...

That being said, Tony - formally of SamNet Racing - runs summa the best track days I've ever attended. Great atmosphere, great instructors, expert instruction if wanted, great lunch and refreshments...the list is endless...

If you've ever thought about signing up for one, DO IT. Do yourself a favor and sign up for the early track day, and sign up early. The April track days are usually notorious for late sign ups, meaning the earlier you sign up, the cheaper it's gonna be for you...

Tony also offers great discounts for groups, and has extended an early sign up, group deal for NESR members. If you're smart, you'll quickly take advantage of this...

I can't say enough how much of an excellent job Tony does with these. I can't even count how many of his track days I've attended. But I can tell ya I've been going to HIS track days for YEARS. I'm guessing somewhere in the 7 or 8 year range...

Again, do yourself a favor and sign up for the April track day. You're crazy not to...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I'll be signing up for the May track day, only 'cause I'm planning on Penguin school in April. I did one track day last sept with Naults. I had a blast but they seemed to not have their shit totally together (I don't think they seperated the skill groups well enough and as a result some people were shaken up a bit). As far as I'm concerned, after every session I returned to the paddok (sp) with a HUGE shit-eating grin! Dayum, I can't wait to get back there!

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

I wish I had the $$ to sign up but there is something that I have been wondering about with Track Days...do you need full gear? I don't have leathers for pants (stck with jeans) cause I can't afford the 800+ it would cost for me to get customs from Vanson. If I were ever to be able to do a track day it would most certainly be in the easiest/entry level or a novice class - however they work. Just curious

Bras cause cancer.

First... Thank you very much Jay.

Second... If you're doing Penguin in April, a Track Day is a great way to warm up... or reinforce what you learned.

Third... you can run with jeans and a leather jacket. I recommend wearing 2 pairs of jeans (if you have a pair that will fit), along with some sort of knee protection (rollerblade pads, or even the stuff you can buy at HOME DEPOT in the TILE section).

All the specifics on gear and prep are on the website

.Tony's Track Days

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Originally posted by 35racer

Second... If you're doing Penguin in April, a Track Day is a great way to warm up... or reinforce what you learned.
    Truer words can't be said about that. My so-called racing aside, I'd STILL be addicted to track days. There is absolutely no comparison between those and riding on the street. No matter how fast and smooth you think you are on the street, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise on the track...

If this is any indication as to the professionalism of Tony's track days, here's an example of how long I've been attending them...

The first track day I attended was wunna Tony's. It was so long ago, Tony was racing a CBR600 (F2?). He was hauling it around in a home made enclosed, wooden trailer that he was pulling with an old Mazda RX7 that had a slow leak in wunna the tires...

The ones I couldn't afford to RIDE in, I volunteered to corner work for. I honestly can't count how many of HIS track days I've attended in one capacity or another...

April track days are an incredible way to welcome in the upcoming riding season. If you DON'T do it, you're crazy. And keep in mind that Tony now accepts Paypal. Take advantage of the group rate and get a handful of peeps here to join ya. If ya don't want the hastles of organizing a group like that, lemme know. I'll get a list going and I'll handle all the money and arrangements with Tony. You WON'T regret it for a moment...

I can't do April cause of Penguin ($), but if you wanna get a group started for May you can put my name first on the list.

2003 Yamaha R6
    1999 Yamaha YZ400

Scrape the money up to do both! You'll get far more QUALITY time at a track day...

Speaking of track days, any news on the NESR day at tamworth? Are they still building that place or what?

What are *YOUR* opinions on wear and tear related to track days? How much more maintanence should I expect related to doing several trackdays a season? Obviously tires, i'm thinking along the lines of motor stuff.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

A modern sportbike going to a track day is like a house dog going to the park.

Point being... these bikes were built for tracks. Sure... they can ride the average crowded street but they shine on the track.

I raced two different 600F3's for about 4 years. All I ever did was change the oil regularly (like every other race weekend.)

They became street bikes after racing and are both still on the road today... with no engine problems.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Originally posted by SWEET_Z
    Speaking of track days, any news on the NESR day at tamworth? Are they still building that place or what?

What are *YOUR* opinions on wear and tear related to track days? How much more maintanence should I expect related to doing several trackdays a season? Obviously tires, i'm thinking along the lines of motor stuff.
    *MY* opinion is Tony's right (you may want to have some extra clutch plates on hand).

All depends on how hard you push your machine.

Yes, they are still building.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Originally posted by legalspeed
    *MY* opinion is Tony's right (you may want to have some extra clutch plates on hand).

All depends on how hard you push your machine.

Yes, they are still building.
    Just give it fresh oil, and check your valve lash....Depending on how you ride, you will be using the upper RPM range of the bike.
    Other than that...good tires decent chain, and have a friggen BLAST!

As a rank beginner, although not a squid:

GO TO TONY"S TRACK DAYS!!!!
    THEY ARE SAFE AND A TOTAL HOOT.
    RIDE AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE AS YOUR FUN-METER CAN HANDLE.

Just be sure to properly prep your bike before you get there, because a major mechanical problem on the track often cuts sessions short and gets you on Tony's black list.

GO TO TONY"S TRACK DAYS!!!!!!!! FUN FUN FUN!!!

GO TO TONY'S TRACK DAYS!
    I'm Bikeless.

I only get angry for a little while!

And to be honest, I'm not angry for myself. I just feel bad for all the participants who don't get to ride while we clean up the mess.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

REMINDER -

For those on the RAIN DATE list from last year, the $150 price runs out on Mar 26th... price is then $200.

For those interested in taking advantage of the special NESR discount, the price is $175 until Mar 26th... and then goes to $200.

All the details on the website in sig. Email if any questions.

Thanks,

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Originally posted by 35racer

And to be honest, I'm not angry for myself. I just feel bad for all the participants who don't get to ride while we clean up the mess.
    i feel bad for the newbie cornerworkers who have to clean up a ribbon of oil.

right, rye?

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Good post Jay,

I haven't been at it as long as you (maybe 5 years) but I still have a blast at every trackday.

As an instructor with Tony, I can say we put a lot of work into these days. Especially trying to establish the groups and keep it from getting out of control. It's more fun when you don't have to worry about people blitzing you on the inside, etc. etc.

We have it pretty well worked out, and we are focusing more on how to add some real instructional value to these days.

In particular, I'm working on a trackday workbook that would allow a small group of riders to work a little more seriously on their riding. It's essentially the system I've used to learn to go fast without a lot of crashing. It's based on a suggestion given in one of Code's books combined with the MSF teaching philosophy.

It amounts to more than one day's work (a whole season, really) and we could continue it through all four trackdays. (or as many as you attend) It will add a small cost to your day, but it will give you direction for years to come. Let me know if you're interested...

Paul_E_D