Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ortega Highway...

Ortega Highway...

Today.... On the road to Lake Elsinore, CA

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

2013 FLHTC, 2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio and a Bunch of other Guzzis, '85 RZ 350 KR, '88 Hawk GT, '74 Dalesman Trails, '72 Triumph T 100 R Daytona.. etc...

Re: Ortega Highway...

cool...I live about an hour away...fun stuff, eh?

also hit up palomar and glendora mountain road while you're in the area

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

I didn't get the pleasure of riding that road but I did drive it in a rental car when I was out there. Fondest memory of the road is when you are headed towards Lake Elsinore and you take the corner where the valley opens up into your line of sight. Kind of startling at first when you round the bend and all of a sudden there is a whole bunch of land that is obviously much lower in altitude than you are and there doesn't appear to be a slow way to get to the bottom.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I drove that in a rental car. Lake Elsinore was a disappointment, kind of a nasty area when you are coming from Newport Beach...

I call the ethic food aisle at my local Hannaford Ortega Highway.

I drove up there in a rental car also, working in San Diego for a few weeks. I wanted to see the town were the motorcycle races were held in the streets back in the day. Not very impressed with the lake itself however, there is some neat history there.

The road to the coast is a blast, I was there geocaching all day... 103 degrees yesterday, 80's back on the coast.

That, unfortunately, is not me in the photo, I took the shot...

Ciao,
    rad

AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

2013 FLHTC, 2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio and a Bunch of other Guzzis, '85 RZ 350 KR, '88 Hawk GT, '74 Dalesman Trails, '72 Triumph T 100 R Daytona.. etc...

Lifer

Ortega's a pretty fun ride, great road conditions compared to Palomar. Palomar is cool, but it's sketchy with all the other riders trying to set a record lap time up the summit. Circle R Dr to W Lilac Rd to Couser Canyon Rd is a good "short cut" from I-15 to CA-76. Sunrise Hwy just southeast of Julian is a nice ride, scenic. The road gets more fun as it travels south to I-8. Banner Grade (CA-78) just east of Julian has some really fun twisties as well as CA-78 between Escondido and Ramona. Craziest road I've found so far though (minus the roads that turn to dirt/gravel mid corner that I always seem to find when I ride with one of my buddies) is Highland Valley Rd between Escondido and Ramona.

That's a sweet pic you took up there for sure!

southern CA has some interesting temperature gradients...in long beach it won't really get above 85-90 with up to 50% humidity; you drive 40 miles inland, and it's above 120 and pretty much unbearable

hit me up if you want to make the haul up to laaaoonnng beach...I got an FZR600 and DR200se...catch me on my day off and I'll take a picture of you!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-17-13 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post

hit me up if you want to make the haul up to laaaoonnng beach...I got an FZR600 and DR200se...catch me on my day off and I'll take a picture of you!
    Geez man... that is a very nice offer. Do not be surprised if I give you a call when I get back in Oct.

Thanks,
    Rob

AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

For sure man...bring some gear in case mine doesn't fit

And all this talk of ortega got my all riled up so I rode it after work today

Joel - you can vouch that this view of elsinore is way better in person

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-22-13 at 12:15 AM.

Freakin awesome offer man; you're way nicer than I am. I grew up near Ortega and would ride it frequently, but construction a few years ago took it off my radar. Started riding Big Bear mtn instead and got hooked on that. Less bikes, more turns, good breakfast at the top.

you can come back too, lol

ya...I was just so amazed at the kind of canyon riding there is out here...compared to central MA there wasn't anything like that out there...and the best part, is that twisties are just a 60-90 min ride from most places in socal

I just hear what everyone is saying - I drove these canyon roads when I visited in 2006, and it was such a ball buster. And despite all the bitching I do, NESR treated me well when I was there, so I thought I'd return the favor

canyon riding is fun, but I've been egging on the dirty bastards on here more though...the windy/rocky woods in new england can be fun, but trying out the wide open 130 miles of desert trails are bucket list worthy!

(although I sold the CR125)

Last edited by breakdirt916; 09-22-13 at 05:17 PM.

Lifer

Not to bring down the energy in this thread, but we lost a fellow rider (not on NESR) and a brother Marine pilot Saturday on Palomar Mountain. RIP.

Be careful out their ladies and gents... SoCal has a lot of nice roads, but it's dangerous.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/...t_is_a_marine/

Hey that's my neighborhood!

If the SV does not sell, which in all likely hood it will, I will bring it back out with me in October.... I have driven up and down the Palomar roads in a Mustang GT, what a blast. I have also seen good riders there, talked with a bunch about not racing on the public roads. Not riding in huge groups that may egg in lesser riders to try do more than their skills will allow.

I am very sorry to hear of the recent loss up there nilez...

Yes, be careful out there.

Best,
    Rob

AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

I read that in the paper Sorry about your loss Josh. Way too many accidents out here lately.

Quote Originally Posted by nilez View Post
    Not to bring down the energy in this thread, but we lost a fellow rider (not on NESR) and a brother Marine pilot Saturday on Palomar Mountain. RIP.

Be careful out their ladies and gents... SoCal has a lot of nice roads, but it's dangerous.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/...t_is_a_marine/

Temp gradient!?!? Lol more like "hey its 75 out lets go for a drive... How the Fuck is it 95 and we are <10mi from home?!?!?!"

Palomar is a great road on weekdays. Gets wicked busy on weekends and can be sketchy with all the racers up there. Still a great ride/drive regardless.

Some of the best roads I have seen/ridden/driven were off CA-94. I use Bush Hill Rd. in NH as a gauge and palomar was the closest without actually being as scary (until you go downhill). Then I got a tour out off CA-94 and my idea of a great road changed forever.

Best views out here, follow 101 from downtown through La Jolla and up to Oceanside/Carlsbad.

Random food tip there is a food truck spot in the chipotle parking lot at the mission valley mall every Wednesday and a bike night across the street in the hooters parking lot.

-Keith

its in my blood

lucky bastid !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RadHawk View Post
    Today.... On the road to Lake Elsinore, CA

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    lucky bastid !!!

Yeah, not me though.. I just shot the photo. Isn't that a great line through that right hander..? The approach is a long down hill run, medium grade and dives into this turn, you can see he is staged for another quick turn which is just out of sight. Sweet...

AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

its in my blood

AHHHH i was wondering how u got the pic of yourself !!!!

LOL

sweet indeed !!

Quote Originally Posted by RadHawk View Post
    Yeah, not me though.. I just shot the photo. Isn't that a great line through that right hander..? The approach is a long down hill run, medium grade and dives into this turn, you can see he is staged for another quick turn which is just out of sight. Sweet...

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    AHHHH i was wondering how u got the pic of yourself !!!!

LOL

sweet indeed !!

Yeah, I'm a better rider than I am a photog and I'm a pretty good photog... LOL I should set up a tripod and motor drive and run the pass myself...

AMA ~ USCRA ~ MGNOC

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post
    I read that in the paper Sorry about your loss Josh. Way too many accidents out here lately.
    Thanks Keith. All several hundred riders at the air station here on Camp Pendleton were called together for a meeting Monday afternoon with the Group CO because of this incident and two other unrelated dirt bike accidents last weekend. Riding motorcycles in the military is becoming more and more of a chore than it is an enjoyable hobby... and I'm the motorcycle club president for my squadron (we have about 60 riders).

Quote Originally Posted by R1 View Post
    Temp gradient!?!? Lol more like "hey its 75 out lets go for a drive... How the Fuck is it 95 and we are <10mi from home?!?!?!"

Palomar is a great road on weekdays. Gets wicked busy on weekends and can be sketchy with all the racers up there. Still a great ride/drive regardless.

Some of the best roads I have seen/ridden/driven were off CA-94. I use Bush Hill Rd. in NH as a gauge and palomar was the closest without actually being as scary (until you go downhill). Then I got a tour out off CA-94 and my idea of a great road changed forever.

Best views out here, follow 101 from downtown through La Jolla and up to Oceanside/Carlsbad.

Random food tip there is a food truck spot in the chipotle parking lot at the mission valley mall every Wednesday and a bike night across the street in the hooters parking lot.

-Keith
    Thanks for the tip. I'm definitely going to find a weekend to check out CA-94. I just google mapped it out to I-8 near Jacumba and it looks like a nice ride for sure!