Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ouch...RIP Skully Helmets

Ouch...RIP Skully Helmets

I've met the founders before, and got to check out the helmets at CES this year. Such a great concept, such poor business practice...I hope no one here pre-ordered.

Skully Closes Its Doors and Ceases Operations
    AR helmet startup Skully goes down in flames

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Ouch...RIP Skully Helmets

So they burned through $12M without delivering a single helmet?

Really too bad. Great concept. Would be surprised if there wasn't a last minute acquisition at this point.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

I loved the concept just not the price. Hopefully someone else comes along and sees this through. You can build something similar for less but having it ready out of the box and warranty is worth a bit of a premium

For about the same price, I'd much rather have one of these.
    Home - Intelligent Cranium Helmets

2009 XB12SCG Lightning

I have a friend who ordered one, I will have to see what happens. "What a shame." Also, what a scam. The ability for a company to take hard earned money from working people only to claim bankruptcy and walk away unscathed absolutely disgusts me. I understand the investors have a risk they accept when they invest. But when a customer orders a product from a company, that's not an investment assuming a certain risk, that's the purchase of a product. In this case, the purchase of a non-existent product. This company was apparently running a ponzi scheme.

Good tech but couldn't get in the market at a suitable and affordable price point....too bad though

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.ph...&id=1185417660

Live life now!....it has an expiration date!

Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
    Everyone can see it,
    But only you can feel the true warmth.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor K View Post
    I have a friend who ordered one, I will have to see what happens. "What a shame." Also, what a scam. The ability for a company to take hard earned money from working people only to claim bankruptcy and walk away unscathed absolutely disgusts me. I understand the investors have a risk they accept when they invest. But when a customer orders a product from a company, that's not an investment assuming a certain risk, that's the purchase of a product. In this case, the purchase of a non-existent product. This company was apparently running a ponzi scheme.
    In a lot of these micro-investment start-ups, people aren't 'customers ordering a product'. They are essentially investors as well, who's payout is the product. It should be recognized that there is always the possibility for the investment to become a big zero.

But that becomes a little less clear since they also have an ordering page on their site and seem to make no indication that it is crowd-funding, or use the phrase 'pre-order'. I'm guessing they changed things around once they started shipping product. But they don't just get to 'claim bankruptcy and walk away'. They either file for protection, which is intended to prevent major lenders from strangling the company, and get them back in action. Or they liquidate, and a third party oversees the distribution of the liquidated money to repay their debts. I believe those who 'ordered' product they had not received would be first in line.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by capt1014 View Post
    Good tech but couldn't get in the market at a suitable and affordable price point....too bad though
    They raised their goal amount in the first 24hrs. 'Getting in the market', and the price weren't the problem. Doesn't seem like there was a shortage of willing buyers. The article above also says there were 3000 pre-orders. The picture being painted is severe mismanagement, and potentially some genuine difficulties experienced by a start-up company trying to produce new technology.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor K View Post
    An honest but unsuccessful attempt to build a business is not a scam. It costs money to start a business, and that money gets spent doing that. Investors are, and should be, at risk -- they put their money in, and know that they might profit if the company succeeds, or lose if the company fails.

I do agree that buying the product is different, and that your friend should get his money back. Selling vaporware is a type of scam, but in that scam, actual production is never intended and just enough of the investment/sales deposit money is spent to look like it is. I do not believe that to be the case with this company.

And definitely not a Ponzi Scheme. A Ponzi Scheme is a specific type of scam, in which the money from later investors is used to pay early investors, to make the setup look profitable for a while and therefore sucker more new investors. This didn't do that, either.

PhilB

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

They had a big mountain to climb and didn't make it. People love to throw hate at these situations but until you try, you'll never know just how hard it is. Few make it.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    So they burned through $12M without delivering a single helmet?
    That's actually not a lot based on what I've seen start ups burn through and never make it to the other side. Pretty common to burn through multiples of that.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I love failing businesses....let's lowball them to buy them out!!!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

No customer who ordered expected to become a risk sharing partner in this enterprise.

That's where the hat comes from. Their VC's are in the risk business, most miss and some hit.

Customers are not investors and their payments or deposits should be protected funds in trust to be refunded if the company fails. Otherwise owners and investors are lowering their investment level on the backs of unfilled orders.

Yeah, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    No customer who ordered expected to become a risk sharing partner in this enterprise.

That's where the hat comes from. Their VC's are in the risk business, most miss and some hit.

Customers are not investors and their payments or deposits should be protected funds in trust to be refunded if the company fails. Otherwise owners and investors are lowering their investment level on the backs of unfilled orders.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    They raised their goal amount in the first 24hrs. 'Getting in the market', and the price weren't the problem. Doesn't seem like there was a shortage of willing buyers. The article above also says there were 3000 pre-orders. The picture being painted is severe mismanagement, and potentially some genuine difficulties experienced by a start-up company trying to produce new technology.
    they wouldve had to outsource a lot of the tech needed. those companies may have raised costs, or they couldnt fulfill the orders and they had to go to someone else that was charging more. hard telling not knowing.
    ever seen the movie "Joy"?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
    That's actually not a lot based on what I've seen start ups burn through and never make it to the other side. Pretty common to burn through multiples of that.
    Idk man. Depends the type of start up. For what they were doing I'm gonna guess that 12M (I heard 15 in some other convos) was wayyyy more than enough to get started.

- - - Updated - - -

And there you have some examples. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    They had a big mountain to climb and didn't make it. People love to throw hate at these situations but until you try, you'll never know just how hard it is. Few make it.
    I don't think good and ethical business decisions and values were part of this personally and I know exactly what you mean.

Lifer

If this is true then shame on their investors for failing to know what was going on with their money. A good VC not only brings capital, but also strategy, financial discipline and oversight.

Don't throw hate at Skully while they throw your money at strippers.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Don't throw hate at Skully while they throw your money at strippers.
    stripper lives matter

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Idk man. Depends the type of start up. For what they were doing I'm gonna guess that 12M (I heard 15 in some other convos) was wayyyy more than enough to get started.
    It isn't. It burns fast and unless you've been around startups..... tech in particular, it's hard to understand. That's not a lot of money in this case.

364 Beers Shy of a Liter Trajiks9's Avatar

12M = A shit ton of lap dances

🇯🇵 2001 Honda CBR 929RR R.I.P
    🇯🇵 2009 Honda CRF 250X
    🇯🇵 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R
    🇦🇹 2016 KTM 1190 Adventure-S

Not all is lost though. FUSAR will give those who invested the ~$1500 in Skully $1500 in FUSAR credits. It's not the same, but it is something.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    An honest but unsuccessful attempt to build a business is not a scam. It costs money to start a business, and that money gets spent doing that. Investors are, and should be, at risk -- they put their money in, and know that they might profit if the company succeeds, or lose if the company fails.

And definitely not a Ponzi Scheme. A Ponzi Scheme is a specific type of scam, in which the money from later investors is used to pay early investors, to make the setup look profitable for a while and therefore sucker more new investors. This didn't do that, either.

PhilB
    Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    If this is true then shame on their investors for failing to know what was going on with their money. A good VC not only brings capital, but also strategy, financial discipline and oversight.
    Sorry folks, this is looking more and more like some douche-bags using the crowd sourced funds as their personal gravy train. This is NOT a failed business attempt for business means, this is as unethical as it gets. These guys should be sued, hard... if not arrested for money laundering and outright defrauding of customers. I hope the lawsuits are successful, and that there are more to come.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Sorry folks, this is looking more and more like some douche-bags using the crowd sourced funds as their personal gravy train. This is NOT a failed business attempt for business means, this is as unethical as it gets. These guys should be sued, hard... if not arrested for money laundering and outright defrauding of customers. I hope the lawsuits are successful, and that there are more to come.
    That may turn out to be the case, and if so, those people should face consequences for that. My point, though, was that a lot of y'all were jumping to ASSUME that the failure of the company was a scam, a ponzi, without having any evidence of that -- just random baseless accusations, coming only from your prejudices against business people. Some individuals *are* slimy, in business as in elsewhere. But a person should have some evidence of that before accusing any particular individuals -- more than just that they didn't succeed, and he thinks all business people are slimy.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast