Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long oval helmet recommendations? Alternatives to Arai?

Long oval helmet recommendations? Alternatives to Arai?

Hey all,

I've been looking to get a new helmet. At the moment I am riding with the Schuberth C3-pro. Which I like, but I'm put off by the safety ratings it gets for being such an expensive helmet. I'm not sure how many people have been checking the Sharp helmet ratings from England? http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

My staple helmet in the past was always the Arai Quantum. Fits my head just right... but the only Arai that gets anywhere near a 5 star rating (4) are the $1000+ GP replicas. Which I find unacceptable. Arai should not be getting 'poor' ratings for side impact on their helmets.

Anyhow, back to my point. I really need a long oval helmet. Shoei would be my first choice, but they are all intermediate oval at best and I get pressure points on my forehead unless I go for a size too large.

Cheers,

-A

>edit< I'd really like to try a Shark helmet, but no local vendors I know about carry the brand :\

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by abeer; 09-13-14 at 08:22 AM.

Re: Long oval helmet recommendations? Alternatives to Arai?

I know you said you don't like the safety rating, but the Arai Signet Q will probably fit your head.

AGV Corsa

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Sigh... I think my dome is just an unfortunate shape. I went over to Boston motorsports and tried a whole variety of helmets. The only helmet that didn't have a nasty pressure point on my forehead was the Shoei GT-Air... but I can practically remove the helmet with the strap still on by pushing it upwards from behind... lame (-_-)

Try Bell. I had to get the biggest cheekpads possible for my RS-1 but the dome shape was good for me. I have somewhere between intermediate and long oval.

I will preface this that I only know how to fit Arai helmets, but here are my 2 cents.

I am kind of surprised you were a Quantum as that was a round oval shape. The Signet, then Profile and now back to Signet is the longer oval. Did you actually get measured and fitted or did you throw helmets on? I don't know Boston Motorsports or their level of knowledge so it is merely a question.

I know when I fit and sell at the NYC Motorcycle Show, I have access to every Arai helmet model and can switch out cheek pads, liners, etc. I would make sure that you get the knowledge and level of service for any helmet you are trying. It should feel very snug, but even and consistent around the crown of your head (obviously no hot spots in the front or anywhere). When you open up your mouth and bite down, you should skim the inside of your cheeks, but not bite a hunk of skin. This is the right break in point.

I hope this helps. IF you decide to try another Arai, go with the Signet or the RXQ.

Good luck with your search!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

Thanks Jerseygirl. My two previous helmets were RX7-RR4 and Quantum, back in early 2000's

Petorious, cheers to you as well. I am gonna try the RS-1. It sounds like it is a winner with a lot of long oval heads.

Lifer

Sounds like your perfect for a shark helmet. They are built for oval heads. Just gotta find one to try on.

I've always found Shoeis to fit my head well. But I wear an Arai Signet Q, doesn't seem to be available in UK.

FWIW the MAIDS study and others have not found a differance between different helmet standards. All the different ratings are based on tests, not crashes.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-14-14 at 06:29 AM.

Find an AGV GP-Tech. There are some great deals on these now that the Corsa is out. I bought my Simoncelli replica directly from AGV for $499 and free shipping. Came with a t-shirt and tear offs.

Revzilla has some Sharks on closeout-
    http://www.revzilla.com/closeouts#v2...atured&tab=all

Go see Patricia at Seacoast. I thought I was right for a Quantum too.

I have a long head like you. She got me fitted correctly on an Arai and I have never been more comfortable. I forgot which model I got but it is their longest one

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Cheers everyone. I appreciate all the great feedback. I have a Bell RS1 on order. I had a bunch of unused credit at Revzilla, so I thought it was worth a go based on all the reviews. If it doesn't fit, no harm done, back it goes and I might try a Shark.

Also, I think a lot of you missed my link.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/node/30

All the tests they do are pretty well engineered to differentiate the strengths and weaknesses of any given helmet.

Here is the breakdown as show

We run 32 impact tests on a helmet model before awarding a SHARP rating.

Because the world doesn’t operate at one speed, SHARP doesn’t either. Each crash is unique with its own unique set of variables, so we test at a much wider range of impact speeds than standard regulations.

What’s more, SHARP analyses national and international crash studies – helping us to select the test points that are most representative of ‘real world’ crashes.

For every helmet model, we run 32 tests on seven helmets across a range of sizes – assessing how well each helmet could protect the brain in the event of a crash. To ensure the validity of our assessment, we only test helmets that we ourselves have purchased from retail outlets. It is important that the helmets we test are the same as those you would buy yourself.

We then go to work, testing each helmet by impacting them against anvils to represent flat surfaces and kerbs. SHARP tests are carried out at three different speeds to ensure the helmet provides good protection during both high and low severity impacts. Despite the risk of injury being much lower during less severe crashes, even a small risk could result in riders being seriously or fatally injured.
    animated breakdown of testing...

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/animation

AGV, Shark and Shoei pretty much own the 5 star ratings. Arai is nearly a fail across the board for impacts on the temple, with the exception of their GP replicas (not regular RX Corsair, but RX GP)

As this is an independent service (like consumer reports) that operates in the UK. They are evaluating European models of all the helmets. So, for example, Bell helmets kick ass... but there isn't a single current Bell helmet on their that I recognize.

Last edited by abeer; 09-15-14 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added more data

Def try a bell

Adrenaline Cycle
    Swansea,MA

Dyno Jet Tuning Center
    Apparel
    Fabrication
    Powder Coating
    Paint
    Service
    Engine service
    Race Bike Prep
    Used OEM Parts
    Track bike rentals

ADRENALINECYCLEINC.COM
    Like us on Facebook
    [IMG]http://www.facebook.com/AdrenalineCycle1?ref=hl

Nothing wrong with Bell, they were first to use EPS and invented FF helmets.

You need a DOT helmet to be legal and in the US the Snell standards rule the market here. There are endless wrangles about which of the helmet testing standards is "best" but actual crash data is inconclusive.

Last edited by Garandman; 09-17-14 at 02:48 AM.

I went from an Arai quantum to a Shark RSX. Fits well, but my issue was the Lg was too small and the XL is slightly big. I don't race so I went slightly big for comfort and it fits good. My issue with the Shark is how it has held up. The interior materials are delaminating, and the coloring on the outside was a shinky dink and is not cracking apart. Granted I've run this helmet for 4 years and around 20k, but would have expected a little better.

Well, I went with a Bell RS-1. It fits me better than anything I can remember. Where has this helmet been all my life? Taking it for it's first ride tomorrow, so I haven't given it my full approval yet. I doubt it will be as quiet as my Schuberth C3-Pro, but it's already much more comfortable, and just as light.

If you decide that you still love the Bell get a transition shield. I got one because it was discounted when I bought my RS-1 and am so glad that I did.

I don't have anything to compare it to but I find the RS-1 loud, my solution was to buy ear plugs. My only other nitpick is that it fogs up like crazy when it's cold. Other than that I love it.

I also have an RS-1.
    +1 for the transition shield.
    If you ride on fall mornings or in the winter, it's gonna fog - all helmets fog.
    They sell a winter kit for the Vortex/RS-1/Star that comes with a breath deflector and a double-pane shield.
    I pulled the chin skirt and use the breathe deflector year round - that really helps with fogging.
    Sometime in November I swap to the transition shield for the double pane shield and I had pretty good luck with that not fogging down to about 20-25F.

Quote Originally Posted by abeer View Post
    Sigh... I think my dome is just an unfortunate shape. I went over to Boston motorsports and tried a whole variety of helmets. The only helmet that didn't have a nasty pressure point on my forehead was the Shoei GT-Air... but I can practically remove the helmet with the strap still on by pushing it upwards from behind... lame (-_-)
    do you come from france ?

HEHEHEHEHEHE

is there only 1 Bell RS-1 ? reason i ask is i see prices all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    do you come from france ?

HEHEHEHEHEHE
    Well I don't wear pants... so...

Glad to hear all the votes of confidence on the transition shield. I really like this helmet. Fits amazing... noticed after 15 minutes though that it leaves a funny looking pattern on my forehead (I've got a shaved head). Kind of like a sci-fi theme'd imprint. I'm debating whether I just live with it since I actually feel no pressure points at all.

Incidentally. I'm told all the latest Bell Star helmets now fit identically to the RS-1. So if anyone else ends up wondering if they are suited to this shape, your choices in Bell designs are pretty robust.

If I keep this lid, I'll get the Transitions shield and probably the double pane shield as well.

Thanks all!

answered my own Q

Bell RS-1 Emblem Helmet
    Bell RS-1 Servo Helmet
    Bell RS-1 Liner Helmet

these are all the same prices, however they appear to be slightly different versions of the RS-1 ????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast