Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Do you do your own service?

Re: Do you do your own service?

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I do most of my own wrenching on all my vehicles. By the time I get a ride to the repair shop and drop it off then go pick it up, I can have the work done. I was talking to a guy about that the other day when he mentioned repair shops having lower labor prices when compared to cars. I told him it was probably due to people being able to do their own work as bikes are easy. If the rates were really high, no one would take them in. Well, except BMW guys...
    The repair shop in my town is less than a quarter mile from my house. If the labor rates were lower, I doubt either of us would do any work on either of our cars. We used to live next door to a Subaru mechanic (Clayton actually went there this winter). His rates were low enough that Rob had him do a lot for us, mostly to save time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    some of us don't use bikes as toys but use them as DDS instead
    And some of us work on our own bikes that are DDS's. The key, Randy, is to 1, enjoy working on them, and 2, have 3 spare bikes ready to ride if you break the first

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    The repair shop in my town is less than a quarter mile from my house. If the labor rates were lower, I doubt either of us would do any work on either of our cars. We used to live next door to a Subaru mechanic (Clayton actually went there this winter). His rates were low enough that Rob had him do a lot for us, mostly to save time.
    Yeah, still haven't heard from him. And the Subaru is still using coolant.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2020 BMW R1250GS Adventure Executive
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

satz

I do all my service ,except for tires. I drop the rims and get the new tires.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post

hmm, didn't know you were trying to get in touch. i'll prod him a bit via the faceyspaces.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

I bring my vehicles to the shop to extract the remainder of the bolts that I sheared off in the frame. That's the only thing I'm not very good at.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    And some of us work on our own bikes that are DDS's. The key, Randy, is to 1, enjoy working on them, and 2, have 3 spare bikes ready to ride if you break the first

- - - Updated - - -

Key 1 is my biggest issue!

I work on my own stuff and I do all my own stunts.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

I do the same as Trouble, suspension and big motor work I would send out but would have no issue with dropping the engine out of the bike to get it to the shop. I find that part to be surprisingly easy.

As for vavle adjustments I stripped my bike down to the engine but I paid Degsy to do the actual valve adjustment as I wanted it done right. I think I could do the next one by myself if I wanted to but I will most likely hire him again to do the actual measurements and re-buttoning up the engine. I think putting the cam shafts back in and getting them correct on the chain was the most difficult part of the whole process.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I send out the suspension and big motor work. Checking the valves are as far as I go into the motor. I do pretty much everything else. The motor's out of the race bike now so I thought I'd take the time to do a thorough cleaning and tidy up the wiring.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    I think putting the cam shafts back in and getting them correct on the chain was the most difficult part of the whole process.
    You can make that go much easier with a sharpie. I never bother with the factory marks, I just mark the chain, cams and crank as I find them, remove the cams for shim swaps, and put it all back the same way I found it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

yes, because I am a cheap son'ofabitch

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

While I am not good at many things, I am half-decent at turning a wrench sometimes.

That and I ride an Bandit for chrissakes. It's not like a Ducati where ya have to worry about shorting out the Continuum Transfuntionor.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I send out the suspension and big motor work. Checking the valves are as far as I go into the motor. I do pretty much everything else. The motor's out of the race bike now so I thought I'd take the time to do a thorough cleaning and tidy up the wiring.

Looks tidy. LOL

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Man, I am jealous of that workshop...

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    wish mine had more light, brighter walls and it was cleaner...

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Looks tidy. LOL
    It got worse before it got better...

You're welcome to use it any time you want. Too bad you don't live closer. I enjoy sharing it with others.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

I know Deg's was mentioning something about white out and forgetting to use it. I assume this was for marking them.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    You can make that go much easier with a sharpie. I never bother with the factory marks, I just mark the chain, cams and crank as I find them, remove the cams for shim swaps, and put it all back the same way I found it.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR
    I know Deg's was mentioning something about white out and forgetting to use it. I assume this was for marking them.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I mark the cam sprockets with white out so i know i have the correct number of links between cam sprockets.

It is important to have the cams lines up in the correct spot when you take them out and reinstall them because if you just mark everything and dont worry about where the crank is in its cycle, the cam lobes and springs can cause the cam towers to crack or bend when you loosen them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted

I mark the cam sprockets with white out so i know i have the correct number of links between cam sprockets.

It is important to have the cams lines up in the correct spot when you take them out and reinstall them because if you just mark everything and dont worry about where the crank is in its cycle, the cam lobes and springs can cause the cam towers to crack or bend when you loosen them off.
    As long as the chain has not moved on the crank, and the the crank has not moved enough to make the chain markings at the cams move out of sight, the crank position becomes irrelevant. You just need to make sure the cam teeth align with the same teeth on the chain as before. On some bikes, this means marking both cam sprockets, the crank sprocket, and the chain in three places. On my bike, the cam chain cannot slip on the crank sprocket without splitting the engine cases, even if the chain is completely loose, so I only need to mark the chain in two places, and both cams.

Lifer

I think he's saying to rotate the engine such that all of the valves are closed (TDC). This way there is little or no pressure on the cams.

I think..

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig
    Wirelessly posted

As long as the chain has not moved on the crank, and the the crank has not moved enough to make the chain markings at the cams move out of sight, the crank position becomes irrelevant. You just need to make sure the cam teeth align with the same teeth on the chain as before. On some bikes, this means marking both cam sprockets, the crank sprocket, and the chain in three places. On my bike, the cam chain cannot slip on the crank sprocket without splitting the engine cases, even if the chain is completely loose, so I only need to mark the chain in two places, and both cams.
    Youre absolutely correct and that is a perfectly good way to do it. I didnt mean to say that isnt right. Sorry for miscommuniation.

What i meant was that the manuals give you a loosening/tightening order for the cam tower bolts. That is based usually on a particular cylinder being at TDC on a compression stroke. This is because of where the cam lobes end up. Some will be compressing the valve springs and if you loosen those bolts first, the cam tower will have lateral force applied to it from the valve spring and that risks a cam tower crack. Does that make sense? Did i explain it right?

Wirelessly posted

Youre absolutely correct and that is a perfectly good way to do it. I didnt mean to say that isnt right. Sorry for miscommuniation.

What i meant was that the manuals give you a loosening/tightening order for the cam tower bolts. That is based usually on a particular cylinder being at TDC on a compression stroke. This is because of where the cam lobes end up. Some will be compressing the valve springs and if you loosen those bolts first, the cam tower will have lateral force applied to it from the valve spring and that risks a cam tower crack. Does that make sense? Did i explain it right?
    I get it now, yeah that makes perfect sense. I am very careful about cam bolts and only use the torque sequence provided by the service manual after the bolts are all snugged down. What I do is a learned skill and perhaps best left to people that have done this sort of stuff over and over.

I think he's saying to rotate the engine such that all of the valves are closed (TDC). This way there is little or no pressure on the cams.

I think..
    That's not possible on an IL4 with a flat crank. Might be an option on a cross plane R1, not sure.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig

I think..
    That's not possible on an IL4 with a flat crank. Might be an option on a cross plane R1, not sure.
    Yep. Not possible on an I4. You have to use the factory marks combined with the loosening order UNLESS you know what youre doing and have done it a bunch. Then you can do it the stoinky way and it works perfectly.

Lifer

Hmm.. I guess that makes sense. I never touched the cams in the one I4 I had; it had old fashioned screw and lock nut adjusters.

Try to do most work myself, I take a pass on carb and heavy engine work. Although today I did send the ZZR out for a chain change,( I did the sprockets) since I didn't have a chain rivet tool and for the $44 they charged me to do it was worth it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123